Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:37 AM

231 posts, read 462,294 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'll be visiting the PR mid next month, and from what I remember from my previous visit 5 years ago, the taxi's there are pretty expensive and required cash only like its the 18th century or something.

I read an article that Uber planned to come to San Juan this summer, however I can't find any information to tell me if that ever happened.

Can anyone shed some light as to whether Uber or Lyft is available there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,481,951 times
Uber set up shop and started recruiting drivers but apparently entrenched interests - the taxi drivers union or whatever - pressured the metro municipalities to ban Uber. As far as I know Uber hasn't had any luck in appeals. I don't live in SJ (about 45 minutes away) so perhaps this has changed: locals please weigh in. There is a monorail train hits much of the inner metro, and many buses (I've ridden them and didn't find them unsafe, just unreliable to schedules however).

Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Due to severe underfunded the bus service is very difficult to use outside of a few areas (santurce to San juan is good) and the service from Hato rey to San juan). Even Isle Verde has terrible service.
I've had good experiences with the ferry system.
Cars come up in the uber app for San juan area.
If you use a regular taxi there are no meters and price is negotiable but uber is really needed

Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 AM

110 posts, read 134,085 times
No, there is no Uber in Puerto Rico. Maybe only in San Juan, but not in the smaller towns.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 11,419 times
Hi, there is uber in Puerto Rico, but it still doesn't cover the whole island. I have used it a couple times. I think it should expand around the island, because it is very worthy of using, since it is cheaper than a taxi and since the train that we have here only covers the metro area.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian05PR View Post
Hi, there is uber in Puerto Rico, but it still doesn't cover the whole island. I have used it a couple times. I think it should expand around the island, because it is very worthy of using, since it is cheaper than a taxi and since the train that we have here only covers the metro area.
I thought Uber was shut down because the taxi drivers union whined about their monopoly being in danger?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 PM

231 posts, read 462,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I thought Uber was shut down because the taxi drivers union whined about their monopoly being in danger?
I just got back from San Juan today having been there since Thursday. Uber is there, very prevalent, and is by far the best way to get around the city.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:57 AM

42 posts, read 65,678 times
Default Uber or Lyft from SJU Airport?

I'll be arriving in San Juan and staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Isla Verde. What are my options for getting to the hotel from the airport and are only taxis available. Searching on Uber, I got a rate quote FROM the hotel to the airport but nothing available apparently from the airport to the hotel.

So do the taxis still have a lock on travel options and can someone say what they paid for such a trip? Thanks in advance

Old 12-31-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbarb View Post
I'll be arriving in San Juan and staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Isla Verde. What are my options for getting to the hotel from the airport and are only taxis available. Searching on Uber, I got a rate quote FROM the hotel to the airport but nothing available apparently from the airport to the hotel.

So do the taxis still have a lock on travel options and can someone say what they paid for such a trip? Thanks in advance
Yes, taxis still have a legal monopoly on airport pickups.
So far I've found uber to be about 50 percent less than taxis and far easier to get a hold off.
Taxis have no metered so they can rip people off and underreported income. The people who own the medallions (not the drivers) also hide their income. This is why they don't want to use meters...tax evasion and the ability to negotiate rates. Taxis do not accept credit cards so bring cash for the trip from the airport.
Uber is a great way to get around san juan, do not feed the taxi racket.

If you are in certain places buses can be cheap means to get to osj since they have their own right of way but both the buses and ferry system have low fares and weakening support from the government.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM

A few things to add, uber is reported to be reading a launch in Mayaguez and ponce. We found a few available cars in ponce. For visitors this is probably not a big deal since there is no intra island transportation except for getting to bars too far from your hotel. In other words, if you're in ponce you probably rented a car.
Another annoyance is that they banned uber from picking up at major hotels. Big hotels try to force you to use the taxi racket. Smaller hotels with no taxi pulloff are exempt.
Uber makes staying on places like Miramar or ocean park much more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories