Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,436 times

Advertisements

I just spent 6 days on the island and it was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. The beaches, the weather, the food, the culture and how safe I felt, no matter where I went. My wife and I went from San Juan and did a clockwise tour in a rented car with no guide. We went to very rural beaches and areas. Not one time did we feel unsafe, we left doors unlocked and windows open and never was bothered. We walked down the street in the middle of the night, never was bothered. We were only treated with the upmost respect no matter where we went or what we did. We love it so much we are looking to move there soon.

We are looking in the Cabo Rojo area or San German area as that was the area we enjoyed the most.

I am also looking for advice on owning property on the mainland and in PR. I hear about the amazing tax breaks you get if you are a PR resident. Anyone here know if you get more of a break if you have no ties in the states compared to if you have 3-4 rental properties?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 04:21 AM

451 posts, read 423,547 times
Good report. How was the cost of hotels and how was the food. I heard it is kind of expensive. But that may be if you do it as a tourist rather than a local.

Was the weather cool enough in the mountains? Im sure the people were very nice.

The tax break thing sounds like quite possibly a very good option but may be a bit complicated. Google Puerto Rica act 20 and 21. Should find some good info if you look around.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Good report. How was the cost of hotels and how was the food. I heard it is kind of expensive. But that may be if you do it as a tourist rather than a local.

Was the weather cool enough in the mountains? Im sure the people were very nice.

The tax break thing sounds like quite possibly a very good option but may be a bit complicated. Google Puerto Rica act 20 and 21. Should find some good info if you look around.

The cost of the food is about the same in the states if you sit down and eat at a restaurant, but the food in PR is better. I tend to find that if you go to the locals, the food is even better and less than here in the states. If you keep it local, you save money and you invest in the culture of the people. The higher you get the cooler, there are actually some places on the island that never really get hot all year, just 70's if you get high enough.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:46 AM

74 posts, read 36,246 times
Nice to hear a good report.I fell in Love with PR after serving 2 years at Ramey AFB and still visit often..Old San Juan is magical but love the western end of the island a lot.Love PR food...healthy,flavorful and fresh almost everywhere you go.
Never got to explore the mountains very much but will on our next trip.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:36 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
My only advice is to try to set up a session with a wealth advisor who is very familiar with how everything works on the island. The tax breaks I think only apply to corporate taxes, though real estate could be a good thing to get into. Just check it all out, and know that there´s a reason why many have to leave the island...most would want to stay. Don´t rely on any sort of government or manufacturing job, as all that is pretty much in freefall at the moment.

I lived in San Germán, it´s a wonderful town.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:54 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Agree all that - food is about the same as here. I never lived there so utilities and such may be ... more, much more.

Hotels right now are dirt-cheap, unless you want a resort on the beach. $99/ night will get you a Hyatt, outside of San Juan.

San German / Cabo Rojo - nice area. Water is calmer over there, pond-calm sometimes. Very nice. Only drawback is long drive from the airport. (You can use the Aquadilla airport if you're more flexible with times / dates / locations.)

I'm glad nothing "bad" happened to you while exploring, and indeed, it's usually safe, most places, but like any large town - bad neighborhoods exist, always use some brains when traveling, and you'll be fine.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

San German / Cabo Rojo - nice area. Water is calmer over there, pond-calm sometimes. Very nice. Only drawback is long drive from the airport. (You can use the Aquadilla airport if you're more flexible with times / dates / locations.)
Aguadilla was always a bad option it seemed, mostly red-eye flights. I took Spirit to FLL a few times, it´s not fun.

Another option is taking carros públicos to San Juan, I don´t know if that service has kept up given the drop in population. I used to take one from SG to Mayaguez, and another to San Juan.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

Long drive to me is 4-5 hours, I am from Texas. :-) Some people drive an hour to work.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:44 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Kory - by long drive I DO mean 4 - 5 hours. I've needed 2 full hours just get to one side of san juan to the airport on the other side.

My usual method - when I work in San German or Cabo Rojo - is to leave the night before and sleep in San Juan. Far less stressful, not that pricey.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Just pre-approved for a house. Moving soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories