Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 11:37 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,399,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Super long wait times, absolutely no acknowledgement from anyone in a restaurant for a looooong time, sometimes being completely ignored altogether and not getting any service at all. Restaurants not opening on time, food and even a simple drink taking so long. We are white and speak some spanish...

I thought maybe its a covid thing but it really just looks like horrible service, and almost a discriminatory thing...
It's sincerely sad to read of your experience. Yet, I - a brown man of Puerto Rican descent - have also experienced long waits and less than stellar service at restaurants in Puerto Rico. As a result, I would not categorize it as discriminatory.

But hey, look at it as a learning experience. At least now you know what a non-white person feels like when service is less than stellar, delayed or denied possibly on account of one's color, race, or features.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 05:30 PM

354 posts, read 385,962 times
I'm sorry to hear you have experienced it as well, chacho_keva! I did witness some of it happening to others who weren't white, too.

And I do agree, definitely a learning experience! As someone inherently privileged, these experiences are needed.

I just wasnt expecting the service to be so bad on multiple accounts.

I'd visit again, to give it another chance, but if the experience is similar, I'd pass on ever going back. I wanted to support the island with my dollars especially after all the hardship they've experienced. Maybe another chance when covid isnt an every day experience there, to see how it normally is.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:37 PM

Antonio, I was referring to the overall attitude of people who work on the island. We did not experience hospitality or any type of desire to exceed (or meet?) expectations. As I mentioned previously, the service in mexico has always seemed to be this way, which is what I was expecting.

Regarding covid, the only thing I will say here is... daily health check ins, mandates on all the precautions AFTER every single person coming into the island has shown either a vaccination record or provided a test within 72 hours... seems a little much. But hey, my thoughts dont matter, I am actively choosing to NOT live there!!

Old 06-26-2021, 05:41 PM

Lol Mym's got jokes!!

Old 06-26-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you have experienced it as well, chacho_keva! I did witness some of it happening to others who weren't white, too.

And I do agree, definitely a learning experience! As someone inherently privileged, these experiences are needed.

I just wasnt expecting the service to be so bad on multiple accounts.

I'd visit again, to give it another chance, but if the experience is similar, I'd pass on ever going back. I wanted to support the island with my dollars especially after all the hardship they've experienced. Maybe another chance when covid isnt an every day experience there, to see how it normally is.
As stated, I've had these experiences in the past while vacationing in my native Puerto Rico. You either bear it, grin, and have another beer while you wait. Or, you move on to the next eatery.

You did not disclose where you had this unfortunate experience. I received less than stellar services at restaurants in Isabela and Vega Alta. Conversely, in May of this year, I vacationed in Dorado PR for 2 weeks. Not once did I experience delayed services. Much to the contrary. One late afternoon, my brother and I went to a busy restaurant in Dorado Beach. Upon arriving, the receptionist informed us that there was a 1 to 1.5 hour wait before we would get a table. We thanked her and went to a nearby Mexican restaurant. We were seated immediately and services were rendered within a reasonable amount of time.

BTW, services seem a bit more prompt in Dorado. Restaurants such as Alberto's, Metropol, and Lula's are examples of places which deliver exceptional services.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:06 PM

64 posts, read 47,406 times
Sounds like Puerto Rico could use some mandatory training in basic civility is one expected to tip in Puerto Rico?

Old 06-29-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEeKlIfE08 View Post
Sounds like Puerto Rico could use some mandatory training in basic civility is one expected to tip in Puerto Rico?
The ones in need of "basic civility training" are visitors from Mainland USA whom - as of late - tend to act like entitled beasts in a corral. Don't believe me? Google it and you will find a plethora of incidents. A large number of visitors from the Mainland have been tased and arrested for things like drunkenness, unruly behavior, destruction of private property, etc.

I witnessed an incident of lesser degree upon arriving in Puerto Rico last month for a 2-week vacation.

After picking up my luggage from the carousel, arriving passengers were herded to one of several lines for Covid-19 screening. Admittedly, it was a bit disorganized. Nevertheless, almost all arriving passengers made the line, kept their mouths shut, and kept moving towards the screener . . . that is, with the exception of that one hillbilly with a southern drawl demanding to speak to a supervisor because "his line wasn't moving fast enough." On another line, a woman with a raspy voice complained to someone out loud how, "they ain't even lettin' me out to smoke a cigarette."

Entitlement-minded types are pathetic and in serious need of basic civility training, especially when outside of their typical environs!

Old 06-30-2021, 10:36 AM

4,026 posts, read 1,882,749 times
Right- my first reaction to the OP was - "Never been there before, hm?"

Main thing here is to adjust your expectations - that's nearly always the problem.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:40 AM

3,864 posts, read 2,233,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Customer service is more in tune with the rest of Latin America than with the USA.
Yes, Puerto Rico is a Latin American country. Let us never forget that. If you go to PR, don't expect the customs to be similar to the U.S.

It's a Latin American country like all the rest. It just belongs to the U.S as a colonial possession.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:56 AM

10,121 posts, read 14,998,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yes, Puerto Rico is a Latin American country. Let us never forget that. If you go to PR, don't expect the customs to be similar to the U.S.

It's a Latin American country like all the rest. It just belongs to the U.S as a colonial possession.
Not quite. It has plenty of commonality with the rest of Latin America, particularly Spanish American countries from the Caribbean, northern South America, and even sections of Central America. However, there is also plenty of US influence, more so than anywhere in Latin America. Basically, it's a mixed zone between Latin America and the USA. What PR isn 't is a floating Florida smack in the Caribbean. Anyone that has never been to PR and expect to go expecting to find a floating Florida is in for a big surprise. PR is basically PR and IMO it's better it is like that. It's its own place with its own identity and customs, similar to Latin America in some things and similar to the USA in others.

When it comes to customer service, PR is more like Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories