Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 07:48 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I assume some Puerto Ricans grow their own tropical fruits.
bananas, platanos, mangos are everywhere. but people arent gonna grab some racimo at the side of the road. mangos on the ground tho are fair game. during mango season you gotta drive slow in certain areas so as you dont kill the people trying to knock ripe mangos out the trees while standing in the middle of the road.

breadfruit is harder to come by as it'll split when it hit sthe ground. but thats a good one. its alos a tall tree that takes up too much space. orange trees same.

yuca, yams, batata are easily grown in your patio or small garden space. if you have the room you can add bananas and platanos.

we easily had all that and more on a quarter cuerda. which is like an acre but just a little smaller. eggplant, gandules, aguacate, limes, tow types of oranges, nasty fibrous mangoes, aji dulce, grapefruit... not all grew great mind you. the papaya didnt like the rainy hills and never tasted great. tho does papaya ever taste great?

theres 3-4 growing seasons in PR. if you want, you can grow plenty. we had chickens too. but its not exactly easy work. it takes effort to keep your garden from becoming overgrown by nasty vines or jungle in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 11:03 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times
Puerto Rico prices are ridiculous. The tickets to the island anywhere outside of Florida are insane and the tickets from Florida are over $300 roundtrip (within the same airline) which is outrageous considering it's less than 3 hours from the mainland.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:25 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,399,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Puerto Rico prices are ridiculous. The tickets to the island anywhere outside of Florida are insane and the tickets from Florida are over $300 roundtrip (within the same airline) which is outrageous considering it's less than 3 hours from the mainland.
Miss, with all due respect, if $300 is breaking your bank account, you have bigger issues to resolve before even thinking of going to Puerto Rico.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Miss, with all due respect, if $300 is breaking your bank account, you have bigger issues to resolve before even thinking of going to Puerto Rico.

Have a nice day.

Thank you señorita, I will.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:49 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,985 times
No need to price shame the poster, it is an expensive city pairing from anywhere but the Central/South Florida, and New England Puerto Rican hubs of PHL,BOS and JFK/LGA/EWR. Travel from the TX market for instance is often an exercise in $700-$1000 a head round trip, depending on schedule and holiday season. I had similar experiences during my Midwest tenure in grad school.

That's expensive travel considering a similar block time pairing (say Seattle) to the center of the continent is circa $300 r/t for the same itinerary. There's a certain price inelasticity to PR travel, only alleviated by proximity to PR ethnic hubs.

That's one of the reasons I wish I could position closer to the East coast (within commuting distance to the ATL airport would be my preference) with aging parents in the island. Alas, the story of the diaspora is one of Hobson's choices. One my parents tacitly bought into when they launched us to emigrate. No free lunch in life, just a lot of making do.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:36 PM

10,121 posts, read 14,998,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
My tip, search for flights to neighboring Santo Domingo from the east coast USA, then search for flights to San Juan from the east coast USA. The prices of flights to PR will look sweet. Trust me.

When it comes to the costs of round trip tickets to PR from the USA, they are actually quite cheap. Now the kicker, flights to Santo Domingo are a few minutes shorter from the east coast USA than those to San Juan, but somehow this tiny difference in time isn't reflected in the wallet.

Praise to God everyday that PR flights from mainland USA are treated as domestic. Pray to God and your wallet.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-10-2021 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
My tip, search for flights to neighboring Santo Domingo from the east coast USA, then search for flights to San Juan from the east coast USA. The prices of flights to PR will look sweet. Trust me.

When it comes to the costs of round trip tickets to PR from the USA, they are actually quite cheap. Now the kicker, flights to Santo Domingo are a few minutes shorter from the east coast USA than those to San Juan, but somehow this tiny difference in time isn't reflected in the wallet.

Praise to God everyday that PR flights from mainland USA are treated as domestic. Pray to God and your wallet.
Good tips! Never thought of that. Will keep this in mind.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:30 AM

13,487 posts, read 4,307,670 times
$300 round trip from Florida (I found $275) that's $150 one way. It's a bargain. Fuel cost money. From my state is $525 (round trip) to P.R. and that's 1 stop. Florida has non-stop and they complain? LOL.

I'm 1 hour by air from Las Vegas and it's $125 round trip. I find both a bargain. The other option is drive 5 1/2 hours each way. Which is going to cost me more than $125 in gas and food and I will lose 9 hours traveling by driving.

Florida people cracks me up. You could always go to Daytona Beach by Greyhound. From Miami it's $126 round trip (4 stops each way)

Old 07-12-2021, 09:04 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,832,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

Have a nice day.

15 years ago I paid $300 to 350 each way between Philly and San Juan! today you can fly RT b for $225 (sometimes less).

Old 07-12-2021, 11:47 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,832,059 times
"Puerto Rico's hotel RevPAR of $216 was 145 percent higher than the U.S. average. "This is also 48 percent higher than the previous high for a June in Puerto Rico which came in 2018 when a significant portion of the hotel demand was driven by hurricane relief and recovery efforts," the DMO wrote.

Moreover, the RevPAR for June 2021 was the highest of any monthly record. In January 2015, the hotel RevPAR reached $198, while last June was the first month ever for local hotels to record a RevPAR above $200." https://www.theweeklyjournal.com/bus...1303550e4.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories