Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 16,043 times

Advertisements

How is the VA facility in Puerto Rico? Is it in San Juan? Is the health care close to the US?
I am a 100 percent disabled veteran thinking of retiring in Puerto Rico and am wondering about the VA system there.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 AM

846 posts, read 2,835,305 times
I have never been to Puerto Rico, but I am retired from V.A., having worked at their headquarters in Washington D.C. I understand V.A. has a large medical center in San Juan, also two large multi-specialty clinics at Ponce and Mayaguez, and four smaller clinics at Arecido, Guayama, St. Croix, and St. Thomas. Their eligibility regulations are the same as in the continental U.S. More information at http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/region (broken link) Hope you get more feedback on this issue, and good luck.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:26 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,836 times
I am not familiar with the VA facility in PR but you can read the other threads on medical care here. Unless they are run very differently you will have a long wait for medical care. The shortest wait I have had for a routine appointment is around 4 hours.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 13,374 times
The Worst facility for Vet's in the world! from a 25 years Army Combat Veteran!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 16,043 times
Wow! And from a combat Vet. Why do you say it is one of the worst in the world? I have been to a few and the one that saved my life was the VA Hosp in Mpls, MN. I have been to the one in Albuquerque, Nm that treats you like a welfare patient. I had to go to the Hosp chief of staff one time to get some emergency room test results a week after the test were back. Just terrible. I have been and am currently with the Hines VA hosp in Chicago, IL. Just another health factory. No compassion from the dr's and no caring from anybody. Just another job to most who work there and they don't care how they do their job either. So from one Combat Vet to another the only reccomendation I can make is MPLS, MN.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 11,621 times
I am a 24-year female vet living in PR. I am 51 years old and I have only good things to say about the VA here in San Juan. The longest wait I have had for a routine appt is 25 minutes and the shortest was 5 minutes before my actual appt time. They seem to care and treat me very well.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:12 AM

5 posts, read 51,007 times
My father is a vet and I've had to take him to the VA clinic in Mayaguez and the hospital in San Juan. Their service is first class. It is much better than any service of the local hospitals. Our visits to Mayaguez was monthly, and we did wait, because there are many vets on the western side of the island, but the wait is worth it. My father spent the last month of his life in the VA hospital in San Juan, and I am grateful for the way we were treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories