Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:17 PM

9 posts, read 82,210 times

Advertisements

anyone have any opinions or info on american samoa. Thinking of taking a job in Pago Pago as a nurse. I am married with a 2 yr old. Thinking of staying 2 yrs. Any info is good info! Please respond!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 35,430 times
Default Nursing jobs in Pago, Pago

Hello,

I came accross your posting regarding taking a nursing job in Pago Pago and I was wondering what you decided? My husband and I, and our two kids are looking into moving to Pago Pago for a couple of years and I am having a hard time finding postings for jobs. I am also a nurse and my husband is currently an HR Manager but used to play football in the NFL and is looking for a position as a highschool football coach in Pago Pago. If you have any suggestions or contacts please send them my way.

Thanks,

Adriane

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM

43 posts, read 172,154 times
Hi Adriane...I found some information about LBJ Tropical Medical Center. I think it's the only hospital in AS. Here is the contact for the Medical Center:

AMERICAN SAMOA MEDICAL CENTER AUTHORITY

P.O. BOX LBJ
PAGO PAGO
AS
96799-9999
SITE PHONE/FAX
PHONE: 684-633-4539
FAX: 684-633-2344
SITE CONTACT INFO
NAME: Ana Hargett

EMAIL ADDRESS: zelana2001@yahoo.com

I got this information from the following website: LBJ TROPICAL MEDICAL CENTER

Also, here is what I think is a blog from people who work at the hospital: Palagi Post: LBJ Tropical Medical Center

Maybe you can glean some helpful information there.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 AM

4 posts, read 58,700 times
I lived in Western Samoa for two years and traveled to American Samoa to use their medical services twice. It is way more developed than Western Samoa, but still way less developed than mainland US. I now live in the US Virgin Islands and find the lifestyle still island but more developed than the South Pacific. Moderator cut: no advertising allowed

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-05-2008 at 06:28 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 07:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
One of the most peaceful places on the planet...and her beautiful people are the most wonderful...mahalo...If I had a sail boat, I would anchor it in the little harbor at Pago Pago and carve wooden outriggers with the old people to sell to the tourists..

Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Tutuila is the most beautiful island on earth. Hawaii has nothing on the Samoan islands!

IF, and that's an if...IF I was contracted to work for 2 years and they covered housing and electric, and I had no children...I may consider going.

Contracted- even when I lived there many workers simply did not get paid...not much you can do about it...so get a contract.
Housing and electric are outrageous! Many do not have water heaters, and yes- it gets very cold...we used to shiver under the blankets when it dipped to 75 degrees.
Bugs....get used to them. They won't pay rent but you will have many families live with you.
Geckos, lizards. Get a cat! Well, they eat the bodies but leave the heads for you ...same with the roaches....they play with them before they eat.
The utilities are more expensive than gas. You could not have hot water, no dishwasher, no washing machine for that matter, run a few fans and your electric bill will still be over 200 dollars.
Those with a/c pay 400 or more.

The locals seem nice.

Bananas are 4 for 12 dollars...not pounds, just 4 bananas.
Milk....well....I think it's from a cow...has a picture of a cow on the box.... No fresh milk. They get boxes of milk from New Zealand. 3 dollars a box and it would take a few of them to make a gallon.
No fresh veggies/fruit/or meat. Cost U Less is the only modern grocer on island. The locals call it Cost U More.

If you do this.... a month before you arrive USPS EXPRESS MAIL a ton of insect repellant. This is a warning....you must do it. When you arrive one of the first things you will notice are the locals legs and feet....even disfigured from all the mosquito bites. I have lasting scars on my feet.

You will also see dumpsters in every village. The sanitation department gets money from the US govt...but they pocket it. Trash will pile up, and in the hot sun...well, you can use your imagination.

Same with school buses. They have them, but it's on a whim if the bus driver will even bother to go the route. Kids get up before the sun to wait on the private busses....the ones that are overcrowded and could never pass an inspection here in the states.

Playing favorites is big there. And church is big. Any reason to get dressed up to be seen, or to get something for nothing.

And remember, there are only 2 flights in and off the island a week...and that may not be available if an emergency ever arose. Airfare keeps climbing on the only airline...there is no competion. You are at their mercy.

If you do go, ensure you have a point of contact on the mainland. Call them once a week with a list of things you need. Priority Mail takes 2-4 weeks to get there and ALWAYS mail things insured and require signing for it.

I agree with Mike...if you really want to do this....go for 2 weeks, not 1 as the newness won't have worn off. Stay at the Tradewinds if you don't have a local family you can stay with.

And lastly, be prepared to gain 50 pounds a year...so it would be 100 for you. I was 136 when I arrived in Pago Pago and over 200 when I left a year later. There are NO fresh foods, saying it a third time...there are no fresh foods. So you will be living off McDonalds and KFC and soda pop.

Oh, almost forgot.... the school system is horrendous, even criminal. What did it for us was when a man walked into tafuna high school with a 2x4 and hit this kid sitting in class. Come to find out it was a teacher...and that was his son. Yep, abuse is a way of life, the older generations suppress the younger and the cycle never ends.
My children told me stories day after day of how they had this squid fishing lure looking stuff for lunch everyday. After doing research....and as no surprise, when the FDA sends food or money for food...the employees take it. And then to just have something to give the kids, they get the cheapest crap that wouldn't even be allowed in the states.

But, all that said. I'm glad we went. I have such an appreciation for the US that I never did before...thought I did...but didn't. It was an enriching experience. But I wouldn't do it over again.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 34,584 times
Default oooh so true

you nailed it. american samoa is the worst place on the planet to live. i've been a lot of places, and this is just nuts.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 PM

1,177 posts, read 459,060 times
Talofa everyone!
Well, I am not from Samoa but I'm samoan. I was born and raised in Las Vegas but my mother and her side of the family are samoan and I have plenty of family still back in the islands. I've actually only visited once when I was around 13 and loved it!
Heard they have a McDonald's now. Wow! Samoa's really coming up in the world huh?
tofa soifua!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 34,148 times
Default Am Samoa

I have been thinking about taking a job in the samoa island.. it would be a goverment job. would that make matters worse or better.....

Old 10-07-2008, 10:55 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
I lived in Am. Samoa for a couple of years, I loved it. The biggest problems people have with going to Am. Samoa is "attitude". Do not expect Am. Samoa to be like anywhere you have lived in the states, because it isn't. Am. Samoa has its own culture, you either adjust to the culture or your visit is going to be miserable. The Samoans are very nice people as long as you don't approach the with the "Ugly American" attitude.
I made allot of friends in Samoa, these are life long friends, these are the type of people that will do anything for you. The biggest advice I could give anyone if they are planning on moving to Samoa, UNDERSTAND THE CULTURE, take the time to learn the language, this will will go very far in your day to day dealings with these gracious, big hearted people.
Tofa Soifua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories