Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,526,323 times

Advertisements

Congrats!!! Squeaky wheel and all that. Ya' gotta make noise. So, now at least they admit they know about HR4213.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM

140 posts, read 612,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrob View Post
Another Update: So my situation has been resolved. EDD called me and informed me that they will manually put my benefit amount to the old amount and they cut me a check today for the amount they owed me.

For everyone in my situation call, write letters and complain. The lady I spoke to named Adriana, told me that they haven't fixed the computer system yet. They only manually changed my benefit amount back because I was making a fuss and someone from my legislators office got in contact with them. She actually congratulated me on this.

Good luck to all of you out there were all in the same boat. We have to keep making more noise if we want congress to keep funding EB after November.
OMG! I am so happy to hear this! YAY FOR YOU!!! Squeaky wheel yeah!

I, too, got a response from EDD and they are working on it. I think it was the letter I sent to Riggs the EDD guy.

Congrats!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 PM

40 posts, read 193,571 times
Update: Well I thought it was over with, but I guess not. So my last check that they sent me was the last one for tier one and attach to the check was a form saying I qualified to another extension and that they would send me some claim forms in the mail.

Well I haven't received any claim forms yet so I called unemployment today to inquire why not. This is where it gets interesting.

The first lady I talked to said it looked like a mistake was made and that I shouldn't of been allowed to continue on my first extension because I qualified for a new claim.

I tried to explain the whole situation to her and how it was resolved but she was adamant about how I wasn't supposed to continue on my original claim and that I was most likely going to have to pay back the money they sent me.

So after dealing with her she finally put me through to a supervisor who had to put me on hold for 24 minutes (I timed her) to verify that I was allowed to keep my original benefits.

Now she said that they have to get a hold of the original person who manually changed my old claim back so she can make another exception so I can move on to the next tier.

They said it should take no more than 14 days to get in straighten out. So once again there will be a delay in getting me a check.

I have a job interview Monday wish me luck, hopefully I won't have to deal with EDD no more.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 PM

140 posts, read 612,554 times
I wish you luck on your interview.

I'm sorry that this red tape happened to you again. It's happening to me too, if that's any consolation. Hurry up and wait is my new favorite phrase.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM

40 posts, read 193,571 times
Thanks chelebelle. Hang in there I hope things end up going your way.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,065 times
Default I can't believe this!

I was on tier 2 of my extension when i took a job in dec09/jan10, this job lasted 3 weeks and I made $2900(I live in Illinois). So when my benifit year ended in april 2010 they told me that I will be collecting a new "lower amount". I went from maximum amount to minimum amount for 6 months. It killed me! Last week that "standard" 26 weeks was over. I just recieved a letter stating that i would be put back on the extension for that same lower amount! I kept thinking I would go back to my "original" claim extension amount. I have hopes that this new law will pertain to me and my situation. I was even told 6 months ago that I would go back to the original amount. I don't get it!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
I'm afraid that I'm going to have the same problem. I've had a part-time job for three years, and if they go on that amount of money, I'll have to take out my Social Security early. I just have to wait and see, but maybe by some miracle, I'll have a job by the end of the year.

I've been sending my resume to all the temp services, and have only gotten three responses.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:41 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,526,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissfan007 View Post
I was on tier 2 of my extension when i took a job in dec09/jan10, this job lasted 3 weeks and I made $2900(I live in Illinois). So when my benifit year ended in april 2010 they told me that I will be collecting a new "lower amount". I went from maximum amount to minimum amount for 6 months. It killed me! Last week that "standard" 26 weeks was over. I just recieved a letter stating that i would be put back on the extension for that same lower amount! I kept thinking I would go back to my "original" claim extension amount. I have hopes that this new law will pertain to me and my situation. I was even told 6 months ago that I would go back to the original amount. I don't get it!
Continuing an extension at the lower amount of a new claim, when there is a previous claim whose tiers have been not exhausted, is inconsistent with what California and other states have been doing.

What you were told six months ago is what should be happening - you should exhaust the tiers on your first claim before starting tiers on your second claim. You might want to call or email EDD and see if they can explain why they have now changed their position.

And, let us know what they say.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Continuing an extension at the lower amount of a new claim, when there is a previous claim whose tiers have been not exhausted, is inconsistent with what California and other states have been doing.

What you were told six months ago is what should be happening - you should exhaust the tiers on your first claim before starting tiers on your second claim. You might want to call or email EDD and see if they can explain why they have now changed their position.

And, let us know what they say.
So I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens with mine.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,065 times
Okay, so I went to the unemployment office 4 days i row, getting a differnet answer everytime. On tueday I talked to the office "know-it-all", I was told there is a computer glitch and my information has to be deleted and redone at a central office. So I'm dead broke until they decide to fix it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment