Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times

Advertisements

heres the short story guys. my job is gonna end dec 31st. the company is transitioning all their work over to minnesota. i have the option to move but really dont want to. I wanted to stay in pennsylvania and go to school. but the job market is looking really dim right now. My job is offering a really nice relocation package to go to minnesota. but id be away from all of my family members. i mean thousands of miles away. the winters are brutal from what i hear. Plus i dont know how many african americans there are in minnesota. will i be in for a culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:55 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
In this job market I would probably go. The only other thing you can do is try to find another job before that and see what happens.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:48 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
go take a small weekend or three day trip out to the area where they want to relocate. It may be a whole new start and a refreshing new learning experience. You dont know until you go and visit. Be open minded, look at it as an adventure in your life. If we all just do the safe thing we may be missing out on something wonderful. You could meet the women of your dreams, make the closest friends you ever found, pick up a stray dog in MN and fall in love, have your boss respect you and get a big promotion, seize the opportunity and go take a look at the area!!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:09 PM

229 posts, read 573,863 times
Wher in Minnesota are they relocating? If it is the Twin Cities area, don't worry - we are very culturally diverse here. We have many different nationalities and many areas you would feel comfortable in.

Yes, the winters can be harsh, but at the same time, very beautiful. Also - keep in mind, our houses are built for this weather and, it is true in many ways, about "Minnesota Nice". We all help each other with cars, shoveling, etc. in the winter.

Visit. You may find the beauty that those of us who live here find.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Wisconsin is due east of Minnesota, similar in longitude/latitude and very similar in terrain and climate to MN. The Twin Cities, however, are more cosmopolitan and sophisticated than any Wisconsin city.

Brutal winters are more or less a thing of the past, unless you are in the Duluth/Superior area. We don't have anywhere near the cold weather or amount of snow of even 10 years ago. Years ago, it was common to have two weeks running of below zero temps, wind chill factor of 40-50 below, cars that wouldn't start and four feet of snow. Now, that was brutal. And that was the norm for 40-50 years. No more. I consider our winters of the past 10 years VERY mild with temperatures in the 20s, 30s and 40s. Not a winter at all, imo. Global warming, unfortunately.

If you can't find another job in PA, don't worry about moving to MN. It will work out just fine. The weather is the least of your worries.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
Wher in Minnesota are they relocating? If it is the Twin Cities area, don't worry - we are very culturally diverse here. We have many different nationalities and many areas you would feel comfortable in.

Yes, the winters can be harsh, but at the same time, very beautiful. Also - keep in mind, our houses are built for this weather and, it is true in many ways, about "Minnesota Nice". We all help each other with cars, shoveling, etc. in the winter.

Visit. You may find the beauty that those of us who live here find.

bloomington

Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 AM

43 posts, read 62,115 times
you should take stevemorse's advice and if you go there and don't like it, then don't move there! Life is too short to be miserable somewhere you don't want to be....

Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Plus i dont know how many african americans there are in minnesota. will i be in for a culture shock.
Twin Cities area, while less diverse than the big cities of the Northeast, still has enough of an AA population that you wouldn't be "the only one". As an example, 70s/80s baseball great Dave Winfield is a native of the area, in fact I think his family actually moved from St. Paul to Bloomington during his childhood, but don't quote me on that .

Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM

164 posts, read 440,875 times
I'd rather be miserable in a place I don't like while making decent money than be miserable in a place I do like living on unemployment.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:10 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
go take a small weekend or three day trip out to the area where they want to relocate. It may be a whole new start and a refreshing new learning experience. You dont know until you go and visit. Be open minded, look at it as an adventure in your life. If we all just do the safe thing we may be missing out on something wonderful. You could meet the women of your dreams, make the closest friends you ever found, pick up a stray dog in MN and fall in love, have your boss respect you and get a big promotion, seize the opportunity and go take a look at the area!!
I agree!! Take the chance!! You sound young.....you will meet new people, forget about race. Even people amongst their same race get nervous inside....Go with Stevemorse's advice, go fly up there for a couple days and check it out. I have read that Minnesota economically is doing well. You may meet a very nice broad up there!! Look at it as an adventure!!

In this job economy you may not get another job offer like that. And God forbid if you took the position moved there and didn't like it, you could ALWAYS move back.....I wish you well my friend..Keep us posted!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment