Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM

62 posts, read 143,557 times

Advertisements

I was fired from my part time job at a grocer. I only worked there for about 3 weeks at that point, and went off unemployement to work there, even though i was making less. I had to miss work due to having to go to the emergency room. I spoke to my manager beforehand, who told me it would not be an issue if i missed that day. The ER I had to go to was over 45 minutes away ( i am a disabled vet who was medically discharged last year at the age of 25 due to a combat injury). I showed up at my next shift, a few days later, with the drs note and spoke to my manager who indicated no issues. however, about halfway through the shift, i was pulled into her office and told i was being let go because of the absence. I was floored and very upset. I went to the unemployment office, where i refiled my claim but was denied. my appeal hearing is set for next wednesday. I sent in evidence from the emergency room stating that I was seen on the day I missed work and my diagnoses, but its the only evidence i have. Anything else I should get? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:29 PM

hearing in 2 days. any advice?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM

37 posts, read 109,046 times
OK, you need to clarify something here. You told your manager (and he agreed) that you'd miss a day of work (got it) but, then you say that you didn't go back to work for a few days. That's really the issue here, right? They expected you the next day but you actually didn't go back for 'a few days' - doctors note or no doctors note. You can't whip the doctors note on them days later. i.e you had it in your hand -- did you fax it to them????

The administrative judge will want to know what/why/when/how/exactly what was said to your employer during that 'void'. I believe that's what the issue is here. If no contact was made or an agreement made to take those days off, then your employer had the right to let you go and has a good case against you.

I don't know what state you're from but in California, your hearing will be a 1:1 affair with an administrative judge in his/her office. No family members, children, witnesses, etc. wlll be allowed in the room during the hearing. You will be sworn in and recorded. Your paperwork will be reviewed and you will get a chance to make your case. Be precise. Have your dates/times and what was said with you for an accurate timeline. (assume you're going up in front of Judge Judy on a bad hair day - these people don't mess around) The administrative judge will make the final ruling on your case and you should have their ruling within a week. Their decision is final.

Best of luck to you -- keep us posted on how it goes!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosette58 View Post
OK, you need to clarify something here. You told your manager (and he agreed) that you'd miss a day of work (got it) but, then you say that you didn't go back to work for a few days. That's really the issue here, right? They expected you the next day but you actually didn't go back for 'a few days' - doctors note or no doctors note. You can't whip the doctors note on them days later. i.e you had it in your hand -- did you fax it to them????

The administrative judge will want to know what/why/when/how/exactly what was said to your employer during that 'void'. I believe that's what the issue is here. If no contact was made or an agreement made to take those days off, then your employer had the right to let you go and has a good case against you.

I don't know what state you're from but in California, your hearing will be a 1:1 affair with an administrative judge in his/her office. No family members, children, witnesses, etc. wlll be allowed in the room during the hearing. You will be sworn in and recorded. Your paperwork will be reviewed and you will get a chance to make your case. Be precise. Have your dates/times and what was said with you for an accurate timeline. (assume you're going up in front of Judge Judy on a bad hair day - these people don't mess around) The administrative judge will make the final ruling on your case and you should have their ruling within a week. Their decision is final.

Best of luck to you -- keep us posted on how it goes!
no. I was not on the schedule for the next few days. It was only a part time job, and althouh I was promised between 20-30 hours, I was only given 10-15 a week. I gave them the note the next time I as scheduled to work, in which i showed up, as scheduled, and gave them the note. They said thanks and glad I was feeling better, than had me work. I worked about 3 hours of my 5 hour shift, and when I finished the biggest task I was working on, thats when they called me back into the office and told me I was being let go.

I am in Indiana and have a phone hearing on Wednesday. Fingers crossed I can win. The money sure would help around the holidays, and its not easy finding a job as a disabled vet!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM

183 posts, read 468,840 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you are leaving some info out. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 AM

Is IN an at-will state?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes29 View Post
Is IN an at-will state?
Every state except Montana is an employment-at-will state.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Every state except Montana is an employment-at-will state.
Really? Wow!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:33 AM

what does "at will" state mean?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott17 View Post
what does "at will" state mean?
"Employment-at-will" means that either the employer or employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, and regardless of the manner in which wages are paid.

In other words, just as you are free to quit a job at any time, an employer is free to terminate your employment at any time.

There are just a few exceptions to this: for example, an employee cannot be terminated for refusing to violate a state or federal Law, a state or federal Constitution, or professional regulations or codes of ethics. Also, if the employee has an employment contract with terms that do not allow termination at will, those agreed-upon terms take precedence over the freedom to terminate at will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment