Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM

251 posts, read 417,084 times

Advertisements

It seems SO unfair. I am not even a 99 weeker, I am a 73 weeker and because my claim was filed on Jan 17, 2009, I cant get the 20 weeks of extended benefits. What madness is this? Are other State's rules as daft as the ones in NYC?

RIDICULOUS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
It seems SO unfair. I am not even a 99 weeker, I am a 73 weeker .... I cant get the 20 weeks of extended benefits.
New York does not offer/qualify for State Extended Benefits which would have provided an additional 20 weeks of U/E insurance benefits. However, many states like Georgia offer SEB provided its 100% funded by federal monies.

I am sure other members can chime in on the specifics and technicalities of SEB, the triggers, and some state's SEB relation to EUC funding.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
It seems SO unfair. I am not even a 99 weeker, I am a 73 weeker and because my claim was filed on Jan 17, 2009, I cant get the 20 weeks of extended benefits. What madness is this? Are other State's rules as daft as the ones in NYC?

RIDICULOUS!
Hmm, shouldn't you be in London (or was that in Australia) by now?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
New York does not offer/qualify for State Extended Benefits which would have provided an additional 20 weeks of U/E insurance benefits. However, many states like Georgia offer SEB provided its 100% funded by federal monies.

I am sure other members can chime in on the specifics and technicalities of SEB, the triggers, and some state's SEB relation to EUC funding.
In New Jersey, EB is not dependent on 100% funding by the federal government. New Jersey State law sets three-month average unemployment rates as the only criteria for EB. When those rates trigger EB, New Jersey must provide those benefits.

When 100% federal funding expires, and it reverts to the traditional shared funding (50% state/50% federal), New Jersey has to come up with the funds to pay the state's share of EB.

Governor Christie is trying to change that law now (by making availability of EB contingent on 100% federal funding), but he has no support in the New Jersey State Legislature to do so.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 PM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
Quote:

RIDICULOUS!
why cant you get the 20 weeks? How many weeks habe you done????

I still have a balance on my UE sheet, and even though I filed a claim, they still havent sent me my money! Is there something going on? Have they lied to us? Is this extension thing all filled with loopholes? Its very confusing....

I did 60 weeks. They just extended the benifits, so now I have 73 weeks according to the calculator.... This is what the NY unemployment says...

https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do

If you have not yet claimed the maximum 99 full weeks of unemployment benefits, please continue to claim weekly benefits in the usual manner. There are no provisions in the legislation for additional weeks beyond the 99 weeks

so one would think you should get your 73 weeks, or 99 weeks.... what reason do you have to say you wont be able to collect?

Last edited by broke&30; 05-06-2010 at 12:10 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
why cant you get the 20 weeks? How many weeks habe you done????

I still have a balance on my UE sheet, and even though I filed a claim, they still havent sent me my money! Is there something going on? Have they lied to us? Is this extension thing all filled with loopholes? Its very confusing....

I did 60 weeks. They just extended the benifits, so now I have 73 weeks according to the calculator.... This is what the NY unemployment says...

https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/home.do

If you have not yet claimed the maximum 99 full weeks of unemployment benefits, please continue to claim weekly benefits in the usual manner. There are no provisions in the legislation for additional weeks beyond the 99 weeks

so one would think you should get your 73 weeks, or 99 weeks.... what reason do you have to say you wont be able to collect?
The NYS website says, in no uncertain terms, that if your claim was NOT filed some time in 2008 (I cant recall the date) that you are NOT entitled to the 20 weeks of Extended Benefits. All I can get are 73 weeks

Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
Quote:
The NYS website says, in no uncertain terms, that if your claim was NOT filed some time in 2008 (I cant recall the date) that you are NOT entitled to the 20 weeks of Extended Benefits. All I can get are 73 weeks
The answer is on the website...

Quote:
Extended Benefits are provided under the Extended Benefits (EB) Program. There are currently up to 20 weeks of Extended Benefits available. However, to be eligible for any Extended Benefits, the individual must:

Have filed their initial claim for regular unemployment benefits effective on or before Monday, November 10, 2008.
Exhaust all available Emergency Benefits
Start claiming Extended Benefits on or before week ending May 30, 2010.
Quote:
Note: Because of timelines under prior federal legislation, some individuals started receiving Extended Benefits right after exhausting 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits, since at that time there weren't any more Emergency Benefits available. However, individuals who exhausted 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits after additional Emergency Benefits had been approved by Congress, were able to continue receiving Emergency Benefits.
  • o If you exhausted 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits (Tier 1 and Tier 2) on or before November 1, 2009, you would have had to claim Extended Benefits before being able to claim Emergency Benefits Tier 3 and 4.
  • o If you exhausted/exhaust 33 weeks of Emergency Benefits (Tier 1 and 2) on or after November 8, 2009, you must claim Emergency Benefits (Tier 3 and 4) before being able to claim Extended Benefits.
Quote:
New York State now provides 73 additional weeks of unemployment benefits, as well as the usual 26 weeks of regular benefits. These benefits may be claimed in the usual manner; and it is not necessary to file a new claim unless the individual is advised to do so.

The additional 73 weeks of benefits are currently provided under two separate programs that allow unemployed individuals to continue receiving benefits after running out of their regular state benefits. These programs are:

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) - providing 53 weeks of emergency benefits

Extended Benefits (EB) - providing 20 weeks of extended benefits.
It is important to note that each program has its own timeframes and deadlines, and therefore, not all claimants are eligible for the full 53 weeks of Emergency Benefits and the 20 weeks of Extended Benefits.
Lastly, here is access to the chart to determine number of weeks eligible.

Quote:
** Benefits under EUC Tiers 3 & 4 and under EB are available ONLY when the TUR (Total Unemployment rate based on a 3-month average) meets required levels.
It appears what NYS has done is to create a chart to show based on when the claimant filed how many weeks would be available to them based on TUR and the EUC/EB deadline. So, OP, likely based on the May 30, 2010 expiration, there would be no way you could be eligible to transition into the next tear based on your OC date. It doesn't appear to be an issue whether 99 full weeks are offered in NYS or not but based on the EUC/EB expiration it would prohibit claimants from receiving the full 99 weeks based on the OC date and if another extension is not passed.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM

874 posts, read 728,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
The answer is on the website...

Lastly, here is access to the chart to determine number of weeks eligible.

It appears what NYS has done is to create a chart to show based on when the claimant filed how many weeks would be available to them based on TUR and the EUC/EB deadline. So, OP, likely based on the May 30, 2010 expiration, there would be no way you could be eligible to transition into the next tear based on your OC date. It doesn't appear to be an issue whether 99 full weeks are offered in NYS or not but based on the EUC/EB expiration it would prohibit claimants from receiving the full 99 weeks based on the OC date and if another extension is not passed.
yes but before congress just passed the LAST extension for may 2010, I only had 60 weeks, now I have 73.

before congress passed the extension before the may 2010 extension, I only had 46 max weeks. they passed it then I had 60

So each time congress passes the law, I have gotten more weeks.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
yes but before congress just passed the LAST extension for may 2010, I only had 60 weeks, now I have 73.

before congress passed the extension before the may 2010 extension, I only had 46 max weeks. they passed it then I had 60

So each time congress passes the law, I have gotten more weeks.
duh

Old 06-30-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,897 times
bottom line it's not FAIR. Everyone should get 99 weeks of unemployment considering our unemployment rate is over 9% in illinois. Does congress think this is a joke???? People are going crazy I'm at the point of a breakdown. Pass the bill to extend the benefits to states with an unemployment rate of 7% or better. I never thought I would be in this situation and for all the decision makers out there. Please congress put yourself in our shoes we are losing families, homes,fathers etc. This is so stressful WE need help in Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment