Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM

30 posts, read 123,893 times

Advertisements

I was going to file but would my freelance employees know I am collecting? We're not in the same state, they might have future work though I wouldn't want them to see I'm collecting it and not send me more work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM

621 posts, read 2,326,810 times
Yes you can collect but you report it as earnings and not self employment. If you report it as self employment in some states they will stop your claim until they review your claim. You report hours worked and money made along with who paid you.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
most freelancers are not eligible for UE; unless your client's paid into the UE system for you you will be denied benefits.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:57 AM

621 posts, read 2,326,810 times
She means, while collecting UI

Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples22 View Post
I was going to file but would my freelance employees know I am collecting? We're not in the same state, they might have future work though I wouldn't want them to see I'm collecting it and not send me more work.

My situation is similar, excep mine is passive income from residuals that come to me from previous work.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM

30 posts, read 123,893 times
does the company you worked for know you tried to apply to collect? They might not like it
Thanks for the tip, I should apply for earnings sounds like

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
yes, they will know and they can deny it too

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
My situation is similar, excep mine is passive income from residuals that come to me from previous work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples22 View Post
does the company you worked for know you tried to apply to collect? They might not like it
Thanks for the tip, I should apply for earnings sounds like
If you have been paid on 1099 - not W-2 with SS and taxes withheld and a UI tax paid by the employer - none of your freelance earnings will qualify you for unemployment benefits.

If your freelance employers have paid you on W-2, those earnings might qualify you for benefits, and, of course, they will know about it if you file for benefits.

If you were collecting benefits from another employer and stopped collecting because of this freelance work, your current freelance employers will be contacted to verify you are no longer working for them before you can resume your old claim.

So, unless you have an old claim on which you can resume collecting, or the freelance work was paid on W-2 with the employer paying UI tax on those earnings and those earnings were substantial enough to qualify for a claim, there is no point in applying for unemployment and possibly alienating your freelance clients.

Check the state website for the freelance employers for the earnings requirements in that state. Any benefits you collect from that freelance work would be paid by that state and you would have to apply for benefits from that state, not the state in which you live, unless by some remote chance they paid the UI tax on your earnings to your state, in which case you might be able to file in your resident state.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-05-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment