Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM
rs1

41 posts, read 135,814 times

Advertisements

I can tell you that it'll be quite difficult for you to begin the investment/financial analyst track now. That's one of the more competitive fields out there, where Ivy League type degrees are common.

You didn't say where you went to school, but at your age and with your degrees, you wouldn't be a textbook hire even as an entry-level analyst. And as for Business school, I think you'd have to go to a top 20 type school to have a real shot of getting into that field.

Lastly, there's still a lot of people with experience in investment analysis who are out of work and looking to get back in.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it all strikes me as a stretch. I can understand why geography isn't active right now, but I'm not sure why you'd pick something that's also tremendously competitive. You say you'd like to be an analyst, but have you been actively investing in stocks on your own for years now? That's the kind of thing funds look for - and "I don't have any money to invest" isn't a satisfactory answer.

If I were you, I'd think some more about ways to utilize your existing degrees. I would have to believe there's a way to build a career you'll enjoy out of them. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,444,024 times
Thanks, but unfortunately my 2 degrees are worthle$$ paper holders.

If you want a career, you need a major in something relevant, like business.
I have NO experience investing, BUT I know for my own good I will need to know money and investing to build my own retirement account.

Hence, I would like to know for somebody with my background, how can I get into finance?
I would like to be a research analyst/portfolio manager for pensions plans, that type of thing.

Should I go back to school first and get a degree...get a job with XXXX and hope they pay for school.

Basically, what makes sense on how I can get from here to there?
If school, what degree should I get (MS Finance or Investment Management or MBA) or who should I try to get work with now in the hopes they can pay for my degree?

Guidance PLEASE!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:27 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,476,096 times
You can do it, but it may be a long road. You will need to go back to school and get another degree most likely in finance (also get a good dose of accounting in there as well) to be taken seriously. Then you'll need to work your way up the analyst ranks. An MBA may likely be helpful for you as well, but most good programs expect a couple years of work experience before they accept you. You may also end up benefitting from a CFA down the road, but that is a pretty brutal three-year road in and of itself. Even if you don't end up directly in the investment world right away, a finance degree with a strong GPA from a decent school (doesn't have to be a Harvard) should do well for you. You'll also want to do everything you can during the school time to build out your supplemental qualifications - i.e., if there are organizations you can be a part of, part-time or full-time internships you can have, etc.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:07 AM

78 posts, read 118,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately my 2 degrees are worthle$$ paper holders.

If you want a career, you need a major in something relevant, like business.
I have NO experience investing, BUT I know for my own good I will need to know money and investing to build my own retirement account.

Hence, I would like to know for somebody with my background, how can I get into finance?
I would like to be a research analyst/portfolio manager for pensions plans, that type of thing.

Should I go back to school first and get a degree...get a job with XXXX and hope they pay for school.

Basically, what makes sense on how I can get from here to there?
If school, what degree should I get (MS Finance or Investment Management or MBA) or who should I try to get work with now in the hopes they can pay for my degree?

Guidance PLEASE!
I have a undergrad degree in business-marketing with a minor in management.......useless.........

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 AM

123 posts, read 245,963 times
I think that instead of going back to school, first you should get in contact with the company where you interned. Haggle them for any tips, openings, advice and see what comes out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment