Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 26,504 times

Advertisements

Just came from horrible interview.
Back story: Since I was laid off I've been applying all over, all the time. If I do manage to get an interview I usually hear back with "we've hired somebody else but we'll keep your resume on file".
Since I did not have a degree and have had an employment background in Accounting/Admin, employers probably hired someone with a better resume.
So I decided to go back to college part time and get a degree so my mind and time doesn't go to waist while still job searching.

So today at my interview, (which was 45 minutes away) right off in the beginning he told my my gap in employment was too large (almost 2 years) and that not only was he not interested, but other companies would not be either. He also said me going to college looks like I do not want to work.
??
How is getting a degree at Penn State lazy? When it's needed in this competitive job market.
He delivered all of this in a rude manner that makes me wonder why I even was asked to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
It is a long time to be out, true, but I'd advise going through agencies, seeking clerical level temp work. The bar may be lower. Also, be careful on cover letters and resumes to not only use spell check, but have someone proof read it for content.

"time doesn't go to waist "

only when overeating.

Time goes to waste.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:10 PM

42 posts, read 137,786 times
Plainly, you mustn't present yourself as the type of person whom is easy to walk all over. What a rude and irresponsible thing for him to say. He wasn't trying to help you, he was trying to walk all over you. And he did. Lots of people have work history gaps, and lots of them get jobs. Great ones.

Work on your self-respect, then work on your resume. You should never let someone speak to you in that manner.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 26,504 times
Opps, yes the typo. Sorry. No, I didn't proof read that post. I've had a beer,(Dogfish Head, Indian Brown Ale) very fast. It's helped calm me down. I do feel better now venting that though.
I'll be more careful next time. I am on my cover letters. I also use a template when applying from Android.
It's a good idea to have you resume on your phone so you can send a resume if you're away from your laptop and see a listing.

Note- He also said to me he didn't see how Agriculture ( my major) and Meteorology (my minor) were related. I hope some of you do.

Last edited by solarmax1; 04-21-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Well I would have said "why did you even bother to call me in for an interview? My resume clearly shows the gap in employment".

Don't be a doormat.

I would also find out who he reports to and bring to their attention the rude manner in which you were treated.

If it is a large company they need to know what he is doing.

Because if you are not embellishing than something is wrong with him, maybe he gets his "jollies" by making people who are out work feel bad.

Because there is no logical reason to even interview someone if he objects to the 2 yr gap and tells you have no chance at the job.

A normal person who thought that was too long never would have called you for an interview in the first place.

It is one thing if someone questions the gap, that is perfectly reasonable, it is another to say what he said to you.

I would find out who he reports to and send off a polite but factual email letting them know how it was handled.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,880 times
Do not worry about him. Be positive! You WILL get a job!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmax1 View Post
Opps, yes the typo. Sorry. No, I didn't proof read that post. I've had a beer,(Dogfish Head, Indian Brown Ale) very fast. It's helped calm me down. I do feel better now venting that though.
I'll be more careful next time. I am on my cover letters. I also use a template when applying from Android.
It's a good idea to have you resume on your phone so you can send a resume if you're away from your laptop and see a listing.

Note- He also said to me he didn't see how Agriculture ( my major) and Meteorology (my minor) were related. I hope some of you do.
I think that the job market brings out the worst in some people....they get a tiny bit of power and it goes to their so called heads. This guy clearly doesn't have much of a brain if he can't see how Ag. and meteorology are related.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,456 times
Don't listen to this guy, I was out of work a few weeks short of 2 years and got something. Far from top of the line but hopefully it will lead to something better in the future here now that I am working again.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM

53 posts, read 141,360 times
There are many people who have been out of work for a couple of years or longer. They find jobs and so will you. Of course a large gap will be questioned and requires an explanation. The interviewer was a rude, mean-spirited individual. Try not to let it get you down and please don't take what he said to heart.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Dish it back. Some employers want to see that there is still some fire and passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment