Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,253,629 times

Advertisements

CA EDD will begin issuing debit cards soon from BofA. EDD put out a notice last week.
I'm not a BofA person so this is more of an annoyance than a plus.
Opinions, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
I haven't gotten mine yet, but I read on the EDD website that you can withdraw all the money from the card at one time, or requesting a transfer to your regular bank. I'm not a BofA person either.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

The State might save a few bucks with debit cards but we get to jump thru 2 more hoops.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
CA EDD will begin issuing debit cards soon from BofA. EDD put out a notice last week.
I'm not a BofA person so this is more of an annoyance than a plus.
Opinions, anyone?
I used the debit card for a while - there was a branch in the supermarket we use so not much of a hassle. I never swiped the card though, I just withdrew the cash.

But doesn't CA have a direct deposit option too? I'm on my 3rd free checking account where they give you $100 when you switch your DD to it. (If you do this, be sure to decline every available option, like overdraft protection, free checks etc.. Take only the most basic plan offered to guarantee that they can never charge you a fee for anything.)

Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM

189 posts, read 647,851 times
in texas we use chase personally im 1000% against it why should these banks make money off of our unemployment?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,364,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
in texas we use chase personally im 1000% against it why should these banks make money off of our unemployment?
TX can't do DD? Anyway, my debit card provider didn't profit from my use since I just did no-fee withdrawals - no different than cashing a check...

Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM

To answer your questions: I dont know! This card is all new and hasnt even happened yet. I'll read up on it!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM

http://www.edd.ca.gov/About_EDD/pdf/...card_flyer.pdf

The EDD says you can direct transfer to your BofA checking account, but doesnt say how non-BofA clients can be paid.
Bahh!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
The EDD Debit Card is the new way you will receive your Unemployment, Disability, and
Paid Family Leave benefits. This is a debit card, with funds limited to your benefit payments.
Your payments go directly to your debit card account and can be used everywhere Visa®
debit cards are accepted, or the money can be withdrawn.

Introducing the EDD Debit Card
The Employment Development Department (EDD), with Bank of America, will provide you
with an EDD Debit Card that is valid for three years from the date of issue. Benefit payments
for which you are eligible will be deposited to your debit card account.
You may transfer some or all of your benefits to your checking or savings account by performing a
direct deposit transfer after you activate your card.

Purchase and cash access convenience
The EDD Debit Card can be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted—in stores, online,
or by phone. There are no bank fees when you use your card for a purchase from a merchant.
Other fees may be avoided with careful use of your card. Many grocery stores offer cash back,
without a fee, when you make a purchase. In addition to getting cash back with purchase, you
can get cash from thousands of ATMs nationwide and from tellers at any bank or credit union
that accepts Visa.

There are no fees for the following:
Purchases from merchants that accept Visa debit cards.
ATM withdrawals at domestic Bank of America ATMs.
Two free ATM withdrawals per deposit at non-Bank of America ATMs.*
Unlimited teller cash access at any bank or credit union that accepts Visa.
Unlimited balance inquiries at ATMs, online, or by calling live customer service.
Unlimited automated and live customer service inquiries.
Card replacement in the Domestic United States.
*ATM owners may impose an additional “convenience fee” or “surcharge fee” for certain ATM transactions

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM

Looks like we can transfer money to our own banks over the Internet.
What they should have done is used direct deposit to our bank of choice like any employer and skip the card entirely.
I hate BofA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment