Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,409 times

Advertisements

My unemployment situation is a bit weird and I want to make sure I understand things correctly (mainly so I don't freak out.)

I was working full-time until July 2009 when I was laid off. My initial claim date was 7/26/09 and I qualified for the full 26 weeks at the max NJ rate then. In mid September 2009 I took a temp job that lasted only 9 weeks. I didn't collect during this time (as I expected it would be a year) and reopened my old claim in NJ no problem. Well, no problem UNTIL my claim year ended.

Apparently the shady (and really, I can use no other term for this agency they were shady) agency paid unemployment for me but not in NJ where I lived and worked but in North Carolina where they were based. When my year expired I tried to recertify but was told that I had to file in North Carolina for the 9 weeks first and be rejected before my claim could be continued. At this point I was at the end of tier 1 (and my benefit year had ironically ended two days before I was set to claim the last two weeks of unemployment as I found another temp job.) I filed in North Carolina and was rejected and then refiled with NJ and was rejected for "not enough quarters" (I didn't realize then that I had to manually CALL NJ.) I had claimed those two weeks but never received them.

However, as I said I didn't press it too much since I had just started a new job that was paying me significantly more than my old one. (Contract, yes, but very well paying.) I worked this job from July 2010 to this January when I was laid off two weeks after the holidays. (I was no longer needed.) Thankfully, this contract was through a more reputable staffing company so I had no problem with bizarre out of state wages. Anyway, when I filed I was put on a new claim (again, the current NJ max) but given only 9 weeks. I was told when I went through the certification on the phone with the agent (about the stupid North Carolina issue again) that I would collect the new claim and then go back to whatever I had left on tier 1 of the old claim, then tier 2 etc.

This week I claimed the last week of the 9 week claim and received a letter in the mail today stating that on my 2011 claim I was not eligible or EUC because I didn't have 20 base weeks of employment. (It was a form letter.) (I'm guessing this is because the initial claim was only 9 weeks long.)

Now, here's the question. Will NJ automatically move me TO the old claim or do I have call like you're supposed to call at the end of the benefit year. Further, when I go back to the old claim do I get the two weeks I claimed but never got paid for on that claim. (If I remember correctly those two weeks would kick me into tier 2).

I'm a little freaked out because I didn't receive any notice about the old claim (although I was told about it on the phone) and the North Carolina issue already screwed me over once. (Don't ask me why they didn't take out the proper state unemployment - they took out NJ income tax) I'm worried I somehow screwed myself where I won't collect anything.

Has anyone personally experienced this in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Replying to my own post with an update.

I had to called today to be moved back to my old claim. It was a simple process once I got through (spent almost an hour on hold, and probably a half hour trying to even be put ON hold.). So I'm back on tier 1 in NJ and will soon be in tier 2.

Just wanted to provide a resolution in case anyone in NJ is facing the same thing.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
Default Tier 2 to Tier 3 - who did you call?

My NJ Tier 2 benefits ended the week ending 3/26. I got a document in the mail that stated I was eligible for Tier 3. I have since claimed for Tier 3 and the recording on the phone says it is not payable at this time. There is no other explanation.

Who did you call? What number? And what day were you able to get in touch with another human?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshoople View Post
My NJ Tier 2 benefits ended the week ending 3/26. I got a document in the mail that stated I was eligible for Tier 3. I have since claimed for Tier 3 and the recording on the phone says it is not payable at this time. There is no other explanation.

Who did you call? What number? And what day were you able to get in touch with another human?

Thanks for your help.
Call the local re-employment career center. It's best to call early in the morning if you want to get through - Friday mornings at 7 had a wait of less than 15 minutes for me.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,771 times
I was not aware that I had to recertify at the end of one year for my unemployment even though I am in them middle of an extension. I have tried for two days but cannot get thru on the phone to speak to an agent. Any suggestions from anyone??

Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 AM

92 posts, read 305,314 times
In order to get through start dialing a few minutes before 7:00 (when they open). Keep hitting the redial and you should get through once they open the lines with a minimal wait time (10 -15 minutes).

Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Or visit a NJ office. Many people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment