Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,988,187 times

Advertisements

I've noticed these questions asked recently during almost every job interview I have been on:

"Do you feel that you will be able to complete all qualifications as posted in the job posting?"

-OR-

"Do you think this position is a little over your head?"

I honestly feel if it was over my head that we wouldn't be sitting here face-to-face having this interview in the first place.

I often find myself holding back my true opinion and wanting to say "honestly, if I wasn't a good candidate I believe I wouldn't be here interviewing with you" or "I was picked to interview because I have the applicable skills and qualifications to complete all requirements of the job regardless of how big".

What do you think about this? Does this question irk you and confuse you as to why it is being asked in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Have you sited examples of why you can accomplish the job at hand? Have you explained why you are the perfect candidate? I have never heard that line of questioning before. Maybe they are not sure about you.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,654 times
I haven't ever been asked that, but yes I would be offended if I was. It just seems like hr doesnt have a heart at all.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Those questions are a waste of time, the interview is meant to verify that the person meets the requirements as stated on their resume. It makes a lot more sense to ask for specific examples of work you have done in the past related to the job. I'd never bother interviewing someone that didn't meet the minimum, if not enough apply I'd re-open it and advertise more widely though that hasn't been a problem lately.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
The obvious question is, if they have to ask that, why are they interviewing you?
Surely they saw your resume or an application.

I think they don't know how to interview anymore.

HR departments seem to be the least competent, least accountable places ever.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Have you sited examples of why you can accomplish the job at hand? Have you explained why you are the perfect candidate? I have never heard that line of questioning before. Maybe they are not sure about you.
This makes no sense. If they are not sure about me why waste my time with an interview to begin with. That is the point I am trying to make here.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I've noticed these questions asked recently during almost every job interview I have been on:

"Do you feel that you will be able to complete all qualifications as posted in the job posting?"

-OR-

"Do you think this position is a little over your head?"

I honestly feel if it was over my head that we wouldn't be sitting here face-to-face having this interview in the first place.

I often find myself holding back my true opinion and wanting to say "honestly, if I wasn't a good candidate I believe I wouldn't be here interviewing with you" or "I was picked to interview because I have the applicable skills and qualifications to complete all requirements of the job regardless of how big".

What do you think about this? Does this question irk you and confuse you as to why it is being asked in the first place?

Translation: Are you fit to do this job?

If this job requires you to lift 70 pounds, while climbing the ladder 35 feet in the air, backwards, can you do it?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have never heard that line of questioning before. Maybe they are not sure about you.
I'm wondering the same thing? Is it possible that you don't come off as confident in interviews, and so the interviewers start to doubt your abilities once they meet you?

If you're getting the interview - then they must have thought you were a valid candidate based on your resume - so asking if you think the job is maybe a little over your head, after they've met you, seems to indicate that something is going awry at that point...

Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

Translation: Are you fit to do this job?

If this job requires you to lift 70 pounds, while climbing the ladder 35 feet in the air, backwards, can you do it?
That makes sense..if its in manufacturing, etc..but i'm interviewing for financial positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I'm wondering the same thing? Is it possible that you don't come off as confident in interviews, and so the interviewers start to doubt your abilities once they meet you?

If you're getting the interview - then they must have thought you were a valid candidate based on your resume - so asking if you think the job is maybe a little over your head, after they've met you, seems to indicate that something is going awry at that point...
This is possible. I'm 25 years old..and most people when they meet me think I am 18. I think young equates inexperienced and unknowledgeable.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I haven't ever been asked that, but yes I would be offended if I was. It just seems like hr doesnt have a heart at all.
Well quite possibly they have found an ideal candidate or two already and are then finishing off the interviewing process with you in the last few coming in. There are so many qualified people applying for most jobs now that companies or more specifically HR depts would be better served down the road by avoiding arrogance and condescension in these times. It might just come to bite them in the you know where when things pick up, which they will albeit much later than most would want in these awful times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment