Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:29 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times

Advertisements

I agree with Sean...I would certainly mention it,but in a non-confrontational way. It has happened to me before as well, but not someone that I knew. If it was someone that I knew, I would definately ask about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 01:32 PM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
What's working against you is your "expectations" of what YOU think HE should have done. Get over that part. He did what he did, (or not) done, over. I'm not trying to say this is the case in this situation, but sometimes people you know will treat you worse than those they don't know.

Regarding the "he lied to me" part it may be that some part if the situation changed on his end. He doesn't owe you any explainations. All this said and given your history and relationship, it would seem appropriate to bring up in a pleasant way, using a simple non-accusatory sentence stating your disappointment and asking what happened.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:40 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
Ok, I understand what you all are saying and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, but I feel like you're missing the point.

Most people apply and interview for jobs somewhere where they don't know the boss. They're strangers. I would expect the boss to tell people they're interested in them just to pacify them. My case is different. I know the boss personally and have known him for years. I expect things to be different. Since he's been treating me differently this whole time, I expect for him to be honest with me.

Don't you expect for people you know to treat you differently (be more honest) than strangers? I'm not asking for special treatment from him, but it irks me that he lied to me.

I feel like you all are responding to my posts without even reading what I wrote.
That's a pretty naive way of looking at things no offense. A lot of people have bosses who straight up lie to them about everything such as work performance and etc. I can tell you one thing though, almost every single one of my (former or currently) unemployed friends have had your experience.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Yes as others have said you have to do it without being confrontational.

Maybe doing it in the person(as opposed to email) the next time you have to deal with him and say it in almost a joking manner "hey what happened I thought you were going to hire me".

It might be a little awkward but you can't pretend it didn't happen.

I remember your other post as this has been going on for awhile. You're owed some type of answer.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:51 PM

32 posts, read 72,656 times
I had a very interesting workshop at the Workforce Center and she said it took her 8 month sto get the job she now has (teaching th eclass). One of the things she did was to call them periodically to see where things were at. It's non-intrusive and just a follow-up. You could call him and ask where he is in the hiring process and to be sure he kept you in mind. You may not have been the top contender for the job he had in mind but you can keep your name in the loop.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,427 times
Quote:
I'll try to make a long story short.

I applied for a job at a new business where I know the owner. He seemed very interested in hiring me despite my lack of experience. He even made it sound like he was planning on hiring me. He told me several times that he would contact me when he began the interview process.

I waited and waited and heard nothing. So I checked out his website and he's already filled all the positions and his new business is up and running. Since I know him, I at least thought he would contact me to tell me the positions had been filled.

I don't know if he forgot about me or sent me an email and it never came through (got lost). I'm really upset here. I think it's more because when he talked to me, he made it sound like the job was mine. Then he said he would call and he never did. I thought I could trust the guy to keep his word. I've known him for five years. So I guess I'm upset because HE got my hopes up and then HE crushed them. If he had no intention of hiring me, he should have never said the things he said to me. It's like implying to a child that you're going to buy them that expensive toy they want, but in the end you never buy it for them and they're crushed because you implied you were going to buy it.

I still need to do business with the guy. I need to send him an email. I'm not sure if I should mention anything about the job in the email or not. I thought about adding a line about how I was disappointed that he never contacted me like he said he would. Is it ok to say something like that? I feel like I need to address the issue with him or it's going to be like "an elephant in the room."

He's not actually your friend, so you might be considered more of a stranger to him.
Business Etiquette with someone you "know" is subjective... you might feel that your relationship with him is more personal than he does.

He may have simply changed his mind and decided he didn't want to hire you and interview more qualified candidates instead, so he preferred to say nothing.
Since this isn't a friendship and he never said that you are hired (very interested doesn't mean you're hired), he probably doesn't feel he owes you an explanation.

There is no reason you can't casually ask him about it... but don't take it personally.

Last edited by raymond2; 09-11-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

91 posts, read 673,991 times
Default Update: Implied the job was mine then never called

I just wanted to post an update and get opinions on this new development.

I decided to wait until I had business with this man before asking him about the job. I decided that I wasn't going to say anything to him and instead wait to see if he brought it up. As soon as he saw me he gave me a huge hug and commented on how long it had been since he'd last seen me. Then he decided to show me around his new office building and showed me how some of his new high tech equipment worked. And then he just casually, but quickly mentioned something about showing me how things worked for when he can hire more people. So it sounded like he was showing me this stuff because he intends to hire me at some point in the near future, when business picks up. So I'm assuming he didn't hire me months ago because I have no experience and he wanted experienced employees to start out with.

I'm going to be seeing him a couple more times within the next few weeks so I'm going to wait and see if he says anything else. I'll try to subtly bring up something about a job there to see what he says. At some point I figure I'll just flat out ask him about job possibilties there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? And like I said before, it's just a small business right now. When I was there the other day, I got a full tour and I only saw three people working there which includes him.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Quote:
I just wanted to post an update and get opinions on this new development.

I decided to wait until I had business with this man before asking him about the job. I decided that I wasn't going to say anything to him and instead wait to see if he brought it up. As soon as he saw me he gave me a huge hug and commented on how long it had been since he'd last seen me. Then he decided to show me around his new office building and showed me how some of his new high tech equipment worked. And then he just casually, but quickly mentioned something about showing me how things worked for when he can hire more people. So it sounded like he was showing me this stuff because he intends to hire me at some point in the near future, when business picks up. So I'm assuming he didn't hire me months ago because I have no experience and he wanted experienced employees to start out with.

I'm going to be seeing him a couple more times within the next few weeks so I'm going to wait and see if he says anything else. I'll try to subtly bring up something about a job there to see what he says. At some point I figure I'll just flat out ask him about job possibilties there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? And like I said before, it's just a small business right now. When I was there the other day, I got a full tour and I only saw three people working there which includes him.
I'm sorry, he's not hiring you. He didnt even bring it up.
It's probably time to move on. My 2c worth.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM

91 posts, read 673,991 times
Does anyone else have any opinions? And Aquaboy, you obviously didn't read my entire post. He did mention the job, but it was quickly and not the way I would've expected.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If you feel the need to address the issue, don't do it as add-on to another issue, but address it as a stand alone topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment