Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 PM

40 posts, read 170,141 times

Advertisements

Im curious to see how this will work out. I heard once you get a job for a certain period of time, you cannot collect unemployment so many months. Is this true? Okay, I am in California, unemployed now but say I get employed seasonal for taxes (feb to april 15th), will I be able to collect unemployment again or have to wait so many months to qualify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,906 times
The employer is going to hire you as an independent contractor most likely so you won't be able to collect unemployment after.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:37 PM

27 posts, read 83,386 times
The best thing to do would be to send an e-mail to the EDD with the specific questions you have.

When you do start working, continue to send your claim forms to the EDD. Make sure that you document the amount of money you make for each week of the claim period BEFORE taxes.

If you have a week where you earn more money than your UI benefit, you will not get UI for that week. If you have two weeks in a row where you earned more money than your UI benefit, you will not get UI benefits for those weeks, and your benefit might stop. If you will be making more money every week than your UI benefit, your benefits will more than likely stop, but it is important that you continue to send in any claim forms you receive. If your benefits do stop, the EDD will let you know, and let you know why.

On a side note, I was on UI from Nov 2009 until Oct 2011, and initially had a part-time temp job. There were several times that I had a two week period where I made more than my UI benefit. Since it was not a consistent thing, I never had my benefits stop, but I did get letters that looked like I had reopened my claim, and was told that when I received them, disregard them.

Once your seasonal job has ended (or you start making less money each week than your weekly UI benefit), and if you are still within your benefit year, reopen your claim. If you are still within your benefit year, you will not have to serve the one week waiting period. If your benefit year has ended, you will need to try to open up a new claim, with a new benefit year, and you will have a new one week waiting period to serve.

I believe the issue of self-employment and independent contracting is addressed on the California EDD website. There is a "test" they use to determine whether or not you are in fact an independent contractor. Again, it would be best to contact the EDD with specific questions.

Good for you that you will be working during tax time! That's an opportunity to make more money, hopefully, than you would be getting on UI.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSS View Post
The best thing to do would be to send an e-mail to the EDD with the specific questions you have.

When you do start working, continue to send your claim forms to the EDD. Make sure that you document the amount of money you make for each week of the claim period BEFORE taxes.

If you have a week where you earn more money than your UI benefit, you will not get UI for that week. If you have two weeks in a row where you earned more money than your UI benefit, you will not get UI benefits for those weeks, and your benefit might stop. If you will be making more money every week than your UI benefit, your benefits will more than likely stop, but it is important that you continue to send in any claim forms you receive. If your benefits do stop, the EDD will let you know, and let you know why.

On a side note, I was on UI from Nov 2009 until Oct 2011, and initially had a part-time temp job. There were several times that I had a two week period where I made more than my UI benefit. Since it was not a consistent thing, I never had my benefits stop, but I did get letters that looked like I had reopened my claim, and was told that when I received them, disregard them.

Once your seasonal job has ended (or you start making less money each week than your weekly UI benefit), and if you are still within your benefit year, reopen your claim. If you are still within your benefit year, you will not have to serve the one week waiting period. If your benefit year has ended, you will need to try to open up a new claim, with a new benefit year, and you will have a new one week waiting period to serve.

I believe the issue of self-employment and independent contracting is addressed on the California EDD website. There is a "test" they use to determine whether or not you are in fact an independent contractor. Again, it would be best to contact the EDD with specific questions.

Good for you that you will be working during tax time! That's an opportunity to make more money, hopefully, than you would be getting on UI.

Good luck!
The problem becomes in CA(and I would imagine other states) if you take a temporary job(like doing taxes) when you go to file when you reopen the claim it will be based upon what you earned doing taxes.

So someone collecting say $400 a week in UE benefits from the job they were laid off from could find after working the four months doing taxes their claim when reopened now pays much less.

They may find they reduced their weekly claim to $200 a week(just an example).

That is something to keep in mind.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 AM

27 posts, read 83,386 times
Seain,

nanoxnano may be o.k., if they are still within their initial benefit year when the seasonal job ends, and they qualify for the "EUC Fix", which addresses the problem of having benefits lowered as a result of taking a temp/seasonal job.

Again, the best thing to do is to send the EDD an email with specific questions about getting back onto UI after the job ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment