Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:32 PM

461 posts, read 911,887 times

Advertisements

I've read the FAQ and I've scanned a few other posts to try and make sense of the tier system... It's not making a whole lot of sense to me, plus some of the information is 2 years old.

Here's my situation:
I was fired from my job in Oct 2011. and I was able to collect Unemployment. I am a full time student and have started working part time (since Feb. working 10-20 hours a week at $10 an hour) I have approx. $900 left on my original claim. So I'm guessing I have 3 weeks left on the original claim, taking me the week of April 12 when my funds run out.

My questions are:

Do I have to refile or will I automatically transition into the tier system, and how long will each tier last? I also read somewhere that the tiers pay out decreases the longer you are on unemployment...?

I was told that if I am working part time, it will prolong my unemployment because I'm paying into it? Is this true?

Thank you for any help. It's very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
Your original claim is good for 1 year. They give you a bucket of money that normally lasts 26 weeks, but they give you 52 weeks to use it up, or another way to think of it is that for 26 weeks life is great, and for 26 more weeks you starve unless you find work.

Since you're working part time, it takes you potentially longer to transition to a tier extension.

I wouldn't say that working part time prolongs your unemployment, it just makes the draw on your allotment go slower, but I prefer to think of it like putting money in the bank, BUT you may not be able to withdraw it. For example, if you do get a job that pays you more than your weekly benefit amount, you'll never be able to access the funds remaining on your claim unless you're out of work again for the right reason.

To transition to an extension you may have to apply or your state might do it for you. I know in AZ, I had to apply, but my claim was hosed from the beginning so that may not be universal for all AZ claimants. However, i can say with certainty that transitioning from one tier to the next has been automatically handled behind the scenes flawlessly.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm not really clear on what you're saying. I have a year to use up the money they give me, yet the money only lasts for 26 weeks. What am I supposed to do with the 26 weeks when the money runs out?

Should I continue to claim until I'm notified otherwise?

Luckily, I told my job that I cannot work there more than a certain amount of hours because it is not 1) steady hours (the hours available varies from week to week, sometimes no hours at all a week) and it doesn't pay enough so that I can go off unemployment completely and still have a roof over my head. I did notice that when I started working, what I received from unemployment was lower, and it did work out to the 120% of my weekly benefit.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:31 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
Here's my situation:
I was fired from my job in Oct 2011. and I was able to collect Unemployment. I am a full time student and have started working part time (since Feb. working 10-20 hours a week at $10 an hour) I have approx. $900 left on my original claim. So I'm guessing I have 3 weeks left on the original claim, taking me the week of April 12 when my funds run out.

My questions are:

Do I have to refile or will I automatically transition into the tier system, and how long will each tier last?
You have not reached your bye so, no, you do not refile at this time. Keep claiming. NJ will transition you to Tier 1 if your claim is eligible, when you have exhausted your state benefits in April. Call NJ and ask if your claim qualifies for the EUC extensions.

Length of the tier is dependent on the monetary determination of your original claim. Tier 1 award will be 80% of your original monetary determination. When that figure is divided by your weekly benefit rate, you arrive at the number of weeks over which Tier 1 will be paid.

See FAQS #6: //www.city-data.com/forum/23479399-post5.html
Quote:
I also read somewhere that the tiers pay out decreases the longer you are on unemployment...?
Not necessarily. Second claims can pay as much, or more, than first claims in certain circumstances. In your case, your earnings are not great, so if you are subject to a new claim at some point, it could very well be smaller.
Quote:
I was told that if I am working part time, it will prolong my unemployment because I'm paying into it? Is this true?
Yes, your ability to receive payments can be extended by working part-time, assuming you do not run afoul of either a bye for state benefits and legislation expiration of 12/29/2012 for federal benefits. It appears you will exhaust your state benefits before your bye so, for now, that is not an issue.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM

I will call them tomorrow and see if my claim is eligible for the extension.

If I did my math correctly, my weekly benefit rate will be the same, for the 20 weeks. It actually goes 20.8, but yeah.

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment