Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 15,640 times

Advertisements

I live in North Carolina and I recently contacted the Department of Labor about an unpaid overtime claim. They called me this afternoon to tell me that my former employer is sending me a check. Does anyone know how something like this will affect my unemployment? I'm currently right at the end of the EUC Tier 2 extension. My hope is that the worst thing that happens is that my unemployment merely skips until the unemployment payments would equal the amount of my award. I'm now in my 15th month of unemployment and was hoping that money could be saved to pay rent should I not find full-time employment before my unemployment expires completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Report those earnings in the week you receive them. If this was severance, it might be treated differently. Inasmuch as it is considered wages, in most states those wages would only affect the benefit the week you receive and/or earn them. You should lose benefits only for that week and be able to resume claiming the following week.

Call NC for a definite answer on this. They may have a different view.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

I will be contacting my local office once I get my check and know the exact amount. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
I think you have to do math to determine if it will help or hurt you. If it helps, then report, if it works against you, then call instead to get it allocated to the period it belongs. There is case law while not in NC, but in other states, that the backpay award needs to be allocated to the time period that it represents. Therefore, with unpaid OT, it strongly suggests that it was an award of pay that was PRIOR to the effective date of your claim.

However, doing as Ariadne22 suggests and just being silent could work in your favor if the amount is significant enough, and how it posts within the quarters since your claim date because it could create enough earnings plus the unused earnings from your lag quarters to qualify you for a new claim in the future.

So, taking into account that EUC is most likely gone at the end of the year and states are dropping offer tiers left and right and the new trigger criteria at the end of May, you have to decide if skipping weeks now is worth hoping that you can game the system in the future to get a new 26 week claim.

If it won't get you a new claim, then you really want it allocated to the prior period so you can just keep on collecting.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 AM

I contacted DES and was told that I did not have to report the award as income because it was for hours worked prior to my unemployment claim.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Thanks for that update. Others, not in NC, have reported that bonuses/overtime/royalties are considered new earnings if paid after the date of the claim, no matter when earned. Each state is different.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,392,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Report those earnings in the week you receive them. If this was severance, it might be treated differently. Inasmuch as it is considered wages, in most states those wages would only affect the benefit the week you receive and/or earn them. You should lose benefits only for that week and be able to resume claiming the following week.

Call NC for a definite answer on this. They may have a different view.

I had a similar recovery during the last year and the EDD in CA found that I did not have to report the amount. While it was wages, as it was money legally owed to me on my last day of work, it should have effected my first benefit week and it was not my fault that I was not able to report them, as it was a breach of the law by my employer. The EDD rep I spoke with said that putting the amount onto any one week, as it should have been spread out over multiple weeks was not something they did. She also told me that how they handle the money often depends on how it is received, and if it is a legal settlement (which mine was) or a decision by the employer that there was an error.

I did, however, make sure to note the date, time, and name of the person I spoke with as just in case there is ever an issue, I am covered because I can say that I spoke with EDD and followed their instructions, clearing me of any potential issues regarding fraud.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 PM

98 posts, read 847,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I had a similar recovery during the last year and the EDD in CA found that I did not have to report the amount. While it was wages, as it was money legally owed to me on my last day of work, it should have effected my first benefit week and it was not my fault that I was not able to report them, as it was a breach of the law by my employer. The EDD rep I spoke with said that putting the amount onto any one week, as it should have been spread out over multiple weeks was not something they did. She also told me that how they handle the money often depends on how it is received, and if it is a legal settlement (which mine was) or a decision by the employer that there was an error.

I did, however, make sure to note the date, time, and name of the person I spoke with as just in case there is ever an issue, I am covered because I can say that I spoke with EDD and followed their instructions, clearing me of any potential issues regarding fraud.

When I first filed my claim in CA last year, it was confusing because I was due to get a "retention bonus" about a month later, which I reported on my application, but of course had to have a phone interview so they could figure it out. They determined that even though I would receive it a month later, I earned it prior to filing, so I didn't have to claim it again when I finally received it. However, I did have to wait an extra week for a check due to "excessive earnings" for the first week past the waiting period week, so I think they applied it there.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
I need some advice, I work at a hotel right now as Front desk receptionist, been here for 8 months now. I started off making 40 -55 hours a week. Which was great until they denied to pay me overtime. Now they have cut down my hours to 24 a week at 7.50/ hour (mind I get paid bi-weekly) and I have not received any of my overtime. Ever. What can I do? The working circumstances ae very unproffesional. And I cannot survive getting a check of 360 bi weekly. What can I do?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,903 times
Here's an interesting question, since they've already said that time counts towards when you were working, if you aren't already maxed for unemployment amount, can that be recalculated to reflect the extra earnings, therefore increasing your benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment