Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM

79 posts, read 225,887 times

Advertisements

I ask, because I truly believe that my being on unemployment is one of the reasons I am not getting offers for temp work. I can't find a regular job, so I will take anything, including temp work. My benefits are ending and I am in a panic.

The way I see it is, the employment agencies don't want to give you a two week job, then have you turn around and start collecting unemployment again when your gig ends, because that digs into their UI reserve. One recruiter I was talking to kind of slipped up and said something that led me to believe that was the reason why their agency -- who used to send me out on assignments right and left about five years ago -- can't find me any work today. She said something about how "you're on unemployment, right?" (at the time I was not, and I corrected her). It was at that moment that I realized that whether one is on unemployment may well be something that they track, however discreetly.

Then I got to thinking. Do they have a way of checking to see if you are collecting based on the info you submit when you send in your resume? I think they do, at least in CA. Because when I go on the EDD website, I see that employers can search for resumes. And a requirement of actually collecting benefits is that you have to make your resume 'viewable' for employers. So If I send my resume into XYZ company, they can log in to EDD, input my name and see if my resume is available. If it is, then they know I am collecting unemployment.

About a year ago, I spent hours (and time and parking money) registering with a lot of different agencies, and I got NO work from a single one of them: Office Team, Ajilon, Legal Staffing agencies, you name it). Pretty upset about that too, since when I go on Yelp, I see all kind of positive reviews saying the person got work and has been kept busy etc.

Besides being on unemployment, I am also an 'older' worker, so ageism is probably a factor in the 'no work available' as well. The unregulated data brokers make it pretty easy for anyone to figure out my age, no matter how hard I try to keep that information offline (it's impossible). I have contacted my reps about a 'do not list' list for personal data brokers (similar to a 'do not call' list for telemarketers) and it's just a matter of time before that kind of law passes Congress, but for now I have no privacy protection whatsoever.

What do you think? Am I right? Can prospective employers figure out very easily whether we are on unemployment? If so, EDD in CA should do a better job of protecting those who are already stigmatized/marginalized in the workforce by not forcing us to put our resumes online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,908,727 times
I dont think there is any public way for someone to see that you are collecting unemployment benefits.

I do think being on UI may cause a temp agency to skip you but not out of spite.

I do not think there is any rule regarding this but if I was an employer and two of you were equally qualified, I do the right thing and take the one who is starving with no money knowing the other is at least getting unemployment.

Recruiters are paid to get you a job. There is no scenario where she just doesnt want to get you a job. All employers want young, single energetic folks who are willing to take dog meat wage just to get that extra experience. The recruiter has to go with what the employer wants or the employer will not use the recruiter for long.

So as we get older our best bet is to go with jobs young people cannot do. Operating our own business, or other jobs that require an enormous amount of patience and resources.

Apply for those jobs.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 100,264 times
They can not find out for sure, but they can figure it out pretty easily. Most place ask who your current employer is and why you left your last job.

I think ageism is a huge factor. I have many friends 50+ who are out of work and no one can get ANY thing as soon as their age is noted.

Are you depressed/ stressed enough for disability?

Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
More likely it's the length of time since you had a permanent job, with just the short temporary positions. When we hire temps through an agency, we still see the resume and while we are not able to interview, we can decide whether or not to accept a person based on the resume. We do not care about age, in fact most positions require enough experience that no new college graduate would qualify. That's actually expected to become a problem since we have 2,000 employees and the average age is 49.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderwatch View Post
They can not find out for sure, but they can figure it out pretty easily. Most place ask who your current employer is and why you left your last job.

I think ageism is a huge factor. I have many friends 50+ who are out of work and no one can get ANY thing as soon as their age is noted.

Are you depressed/ stressed enough for disability?
I agree on the ageism. The irony is, I don't look anywhere near my age (this isn't vanity, just that so many people have told me this over the years that I know it's true).

I have not looked into disability but probably should. Whether I am a clinical case is someone else's determination, not mine. I am very stressed. It's not good. But I don't think it's that easy to just 'transition' to disability, and, frankly, even if I did qualify and could transition (highly doubtful), I would rather have a job.

It's just been a long road since I lost my high paying job and I never got back into the game. I always thought I would. Lately, not so much. I am not going to get into the specifics, and I still hold out hope, but I just think it's kind of delusional to think a good paying job is in my future. I have been out of the market too long. It's a huge drawback, combined with other things, such as age.

As the other poster said, at this point maybe try for self employment or other.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
More likely it's the length of time since you had a permanent job, with just the short temporary positions. When we hire temps through an agency, we still see the resume and while we are not able to interview, we can decide whether or not to accept a person based on the resume. We do not care about age, in fact most positions require enough experience that no new college graduate would qualify. That's actually expected to become a problem since we have 2,000 employees and the average age is 49.
Ok, that's helpful, thank you. I think you are right. I have not been steadily employed for years. After the job loss just before the downturn, I took contract work (brief stints here and there) and some temp agency work, but have had no permanent employment.

I sort of pieced things together with unemployment off and on (when it was available) to keep going. I have had two UI claims and didn't get much on the second claim but I could eke by on that, combined with other stuff I could bring in.

Like so many others, I thought the un- and under-employment situation was 'temporary'. The thing is, I have great skills (know more about technology than most, good writing and communication skills, etc.). I thought I could always count on temp work if things got bad, but that is not how things worked out.

Example: I applied for a job the other day and I fit every qualification their client requested. He wanted someone very experienced (10 years+) -- a real pro. I called, talked to the recruiter and immediately followed up with my resume. Never heard a word from anyone. I think what is happening is that even even jobs such as this one (it was a month-long temp job) are being filled by those who have a history of steady employment. Say three years at their last job, and fairly recent employment at that. I don't have that, and that seems to be the problem, since in all other respects I am highly qualified, presentable, etc.

It's just v. frustrating.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 28,885 times
Hi - Sorry to hear about how hard it is to get employed again. Anyway I thought it might be useful to look at things from the employers point of view. First of all, if you get ANY part time temp work, you are supposed to let the unemployment authorities know this so they can deduct that amount from your benefits check. If not, you are double dipping, and basically "working off the books". On the other hand, if you are honest and choose to inform the unemployment authorities that you did work even a single day, your file now lists the last employer as responsible for your benefits. Now the guy who employed you for just one day is the responsible party for your unemployment. This affects the temporary employer's unemployment insurance rates which can easily double when a chronically unemployed person is collecting on your account. Also for the same reason.... if the employment agency directly writes the check to you - they become the responsible party. I know this sounds ridiculously unfair, but the law is the law. That's why agencies and employers are so afraid of hiring persons currently receiving unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment