Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM

50 posts, read 89,774 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation. I was terminated the other day because of poor job performance. I had been at the same company just shy of 4 years, since April, 2009. I was hired as an accountant. Al my prior experience was in accounting too. Last March, my position in the accounting department was about to be eliminated, and the company offered me another position in the sales operations department, doing something completely different. I accepted and moved last April. Keep in mind when I did accounting, I was a good performed and consistently got good reviews. In the sales operations job, it just wasn't a good fit. I made a lot of mistakes. About a month ago I was spoken to by my boss and told there was a problem with my performance and put on a performance improvement plan. I honestly tried my best to improve and do the job well. I guess they just decided I wasn't good enough. Would I have any problem collecting unemployment in this case? I honestly tried to correct my performance issues. My employer isn't contesting my claim either. I also live in New Jersey, which is a very employee friendly state when it comes to unemployment benefits. I am now looking for another accounting job, which I am much better suited for, and have a few leads already. The other thing that I think would help me is I didn't ask for the sales operations job. It was the VP of Sales whose idea it was to offer the job to me and he decided it wasn't working out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
If your employer is not contesting the claim, what's the problem?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
About a month ago I was spoken to by my boss and told there was a problem with my performance and put on a performance improvement plan. I honestly tried my best to improve and do the job well. I guess they just decided I wasn't good enough. Would I have any problem collecting unemployment in this case? I honestly tried to correct my performance issues. My employer isn't contesting my claim either. I also live in New Jersey
Poor performance/incompetence/bad fit/lack of skills - even though you were discharged - is not grounds for denial of benefits unless it can be proven your poor permanance was willful.

If your employer is not contesting, there is no discussion. You were discharged. You are entitled to benefits.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Also, shorten the story. It's ok that you told us that it was for poor performance, but when you submit your claim stick with, "discharged, no reason given."

Some employers say they won't contest, but they do after the fact. What you don't want to do is provide any information that might make a deputy push you through the appeals process because then you'll be without benefits for 6 months or more waiting for your appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment