Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 PM

11 posts, read 78,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I am at the end of tier 2 right now and have 2 claims left of $317.00, or a remaining balance of $634.

However, my benefit year ended on March 10th.

Will I be able to claim benefits in the normal way next week or will there be an issue? I already see there is a button now to "file a new claim" which had never been there before.

I am in New York State.

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: One additional note: When I claimed earlier this week, the "file a claim" button was there for the first time, but I was also able to certify benefits on my new claim. Right now the "view payment history" button is there, which is normal... it changes to "certify benefits" when it's time at the beginning of the week. So my point with this edit being that the "Few a Claim" button was available when I claimed on my current claim last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
In NY, you should file a new online claim. If you haven't worked during the past year, your EUC will continue. If you have worked, you may be eligible for a new state claim. Either way, your benefits continue.

Per FAQS:

Quote:
8. I've been collecting for a year and am on Tier 2. My claim expires next week. What happens now?

Some states automatically perform the recertification process as long as you continue to file weekly or biweekly claims. In most states, you will need to telephone your state to RECERTIFY your claim. Your state will do a monetary reevaluation for a new claim. If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive benefits on that claim. You may receive confusing correspondence at this time, especially in Illinois. Be sure to telephone your state if this happens - and keep claiming if the system allows.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM

11 posts, read 78,298 times
I have not worked (but have a job starting next month!)

Just so I'm clear though... is filing a new claim at this point solely for new state benefits or do I need to do that for the EUC to continue uninterrupted as well? There would normally be a "certify benefits" option as opposed to "view payment history" come Sunday.

Right now everything looks as it has since my claim started, with the exception of that "file a claim" button... but again... that was there this past Sunday where I was able to certify and receive benefits without issue and without filing a new claim.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs85 View Post
Just so I'm clear though... is filing a new claim at this point solely for new state benefits or do I need to do that for the EUC to continue uninterrupted as well? There would normally be a "certify benefits" option as opposed to "view payment history" come Sunday.
If you don't file a new claim, which is necessary before NY can recertify the old claim, your EUC will NOT continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubs85 View Post
Right now everything looks as it has since my claim started, with the exception of that "file a claim" button... but again... that was there this past Sunday where I was able to certify and receive benefits without issue and without filing a new claim.
That's because your benefit year had NOT expired. When you filed on Sunday, March 10th, you were certifying for week ending March 10th (NY's weeks expire on Sun). Therefore, NY paid you because your claim expired midnight on March 10th and you were entitled to that week's benefits.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 13,374 times
I have several past unemployment claims that have balances in excess of $1200, three of them to be exact, and they are all active. . Is there a way that I can collect all of the available balances that I have left for all of those 3 previous claims? And if so, how do I go about completing the process? I live in Florida.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:36 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchill14 View Post
three of them to be exact, and they are all active.
I doubt that. Just because you can see it when you log in doesn't mean it's "active." Claims expire after a year. Unless you worked in other states, it would be impossible to have overlapping claims.

At best, you have ONE claim that's not expired that you can try to get the remaining balance from.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 13,220 times
I am collecting partial unemployment in nj I am coming up on my 26 weeks but hAve an available balance can I continue to collect?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandadee View Post
I am collecting partial unemployment in nj I am coming up on my 26 weeks but hAve an available balance can I continue to collect?
You are given one year to collect the 26 weeks' monetary award. As long has your claim as not yet expired, continue to claim. If your benefit year has expired, reapply for a new claim. If you've been working, you should qualify for a new claim when the benefit year for the current claim expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment