Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

see if they can work out something with me since I'll be unemployed in a couple more weeks. This is exactly what I'm going to do. It won't hurt to ask, in fact, I'm going to start calling them in a day or two.

Does anyone know if VERIZON works something out people who become unemployed? This is one of my largest monthly bills...over $100 for FIOS internet, cable, & phone service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times
Companies want their money. Some will work with you although don't expect them to show too much concern over your financial situation.

The bigger question is what kind of savings do you have to pay that $100 Verizon bill and keeo you afloat while looking for work?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM

15 posts, read 59,600 times
I can't imagine any company wuold do much without hurting your credit. I'd suggest trimming your budget to the bare essentials. You can probably get that verizon bill down to $40 a month, you will need a phone to find a new job....

Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM

My rent, utilities, & bills total about $2000. I'm only spending money to buy gas for my car (at the cheapest gas station in my area) & groceries & even then, it will be from the 99 Cent store from now on. NO fun spending at all! I MUST keep my landline & I do have a cell phone too, but I can't lower my cell bill without my 2-yr contract starting up all over again & my contract's almost over, I think. As soon as it's over, I'm getting something cheaper than the $45/mo I pay.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My rent, utilities, & bills total about $2000. I'm only spending money to buy gas for my car (at the cheapest gas station in my area) & groceries & even then, it will be from the 99 Cent store from now on. NO fun spending at all! I MUST keep my landline & I do have a cell phone too, but I can't lower my cell bill without my 2-yr contract starting up all over again & my contract's almost over, I think. As soon as it's over, I'm getting something cheaper than the $45/mo I pay.
Can you cancel the landline? If you have a cell, do you need the landline right now? Why do you HAVE to keep it?

Is there no way you can cancel the cable? Keep the internet to keep looking for work and yes, you need at least one phone for employers to call but can't you get rid of the rest right now?

As for groceries...it might be Top Ramen time. Disgusting, I know, but it saves a LOT of money and it's not forever, right? Also, go to food banks if you have to, you can get veggies there to balance out that Top Ramen disgust.

Make sure you don't use your car anymore than you have to use it. Plan ahead so that you aren't driving to the same place twice.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Yes, those are all good tips.

I will need to use my car throughout the summer though because I CANNOT just stay holed up at home...I'll go crazy. I need to get out of the house, even to browse the bookstore or go to the mall to keep my sanity! Cable TV & internet is my only entertainment, so I'll hold onto that, especially the cable TV.

Does anyone know what the cheapest cell phone plan is these days for unlimited talk & text? I don't need emailing/internet capabilities on my cell.

Any other money-saving tips?

Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,437,762 times
You want to ask each company about their "hardship program". They will vary.

Go to the library, not the bookstore for starters. Many have excellent DVD libraries even. Many have free e-book libraries if you have an electronic reader, and then you can save gas.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Litlove71, thanks for telling me what the techincal term of it is called.

Oh, I just happened to mention the bookstore, NOT to spend $ there, but to browse there as a way of something to do to get out of the house. I've always enjoyed bookstores better than libraries.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Well, since you are talking to these companies why not ask them what employment possibilities would be with them. Not necessarily in what they do but in other fields (that you might be interested in) that they might be hiring. Who knows? They might give you good contact info.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Don't expect a lot of sympathy (read help) from them. As someone else stated, they just want the money. Are you single OP? If not, you maybe eligible for other assistance, such as free cell (everyone keeps complaining about the free cell low income persons get, so it must exist), heating assistance, and food stamps. I can't imagine you cutting that cell bill too much unless you get one for free. If you know someone that would be willing to add your phone to their plan you might cut the cost that way.

Shop at farmers markets to cut cost of produce. You get so much more for your money there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment