Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, those are all good tips.

I will need to use my car throughout the summer though because I CANNOT just stay holed up at home...I'll go crazy. I need to get out of the house, even to browse the bookstore or go to the mall to keep my sanity! Cable TV & internet is my only entertainment, so I'll hold onto that, especially the cable TV.

Does anyone know what the cheapest cell phone plan is these days for unlimited talk & text? I don't need emailing/internet capabilities on my cell.

Any other money-saving tips?
Why are you asking for other money savings tips? You aren't willing to make the obvious cuts. If you need $2000/month to live, you have a $200 gap with the max CA benefits...time to not drive the car and cut the cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 AM

113 posts, read 393,348 times
I feel bad for you because it looks like you are about to learn the very hard and sometimes brutal difference between pampering and survival. If you want a roof over your head. Electricity, gas, and some food you will have to make major cuts in that 2000 monthly budget and just let some of the must haves go for a while.

The cheapest cell plan is a pay as you go phone for as little as 10.00 a month. no bells and whistles but allows you mobile on the go call and text access. No it's not unlimited but you can add more minutes. Is there a needed quota of texts you have to send and receive each day or are you just addicted to it? Cut down. Send an email. Through the internet. Will you literally die without cable tv? No not at all. It stinks but it's not a forever reduction. While you are still working you may want to purchase a TV antenna and converter box for under 50.00 and try free over the air stations. It's TV at it's basic but it's still TV.

Internet? Keep a basic landline. ATT offers discounts ( lifeline ) for low income and then for internet there is aol dialup for 12.00 a month. You will have email and surfing the internet for job search's. Not the best but it's back to basics with internet with no contract needed.

Food, you might qualify for calfresh based on your income. If it embarrasses you to access this nutritional program do bulk shopping late or early in the mornings.

As for current bills. Good luck with trying to get them to lower payments just because you will be unemployed. They will not care. If you can't meet the minimum payment allowed and it's a card that you didn't pay for an account care service that would cover you during unemployment you aren't going to make much headway. In your mind picture a scale and ask yourself what is most important in the long run? Big time cable and fast internet or cuting those down and using the left over amount to pay the minimum allowed on bills so that your credit score won't be damaged nor will you be hassled about late payments, and potentially going to collections and then ultimately being threatened with litigation for full payment plus additional fee's? Hopefully that scale in your mind will be balanced with an emphasis on cutting back luxury for maintaining bills.

Good news. Electric and Gas offer many programs like a balanced payment plan and additional reductions to low income and the unemployed.

Gas for the car? what do you need gas for? You only need enough gas to look for work. You really are going to have to keep focused on that scale of what is most important to survive and make it through. I am not trying to be rude but guessing in advance you will go nuts sitting at home is a little bit of an emotional cop out. When not looking for work surf the internet on your dial up connection. Read. Watch your free basic over the air tv. Hate it all you want but remind yourself at least you've got both even during these hard times. Listen to music. go for walks. Create a full days routine to stay busy.

Last edited by cosmic_me; 05-04-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Why are you asking for other money savings tips? You aren't willing to make the obvious cuts. If you need $2000/month to live, you have a $200 gap with the max CA benefits...time to not drive the car and cut the cable.
If the OP has a $200 gap, why not sell plasma? The OP could make that from selling plasma until he/she finds work.

My money saving tip, is always cook. Never eat out at restaurants even fast food. No soda because it isn't a necessity. Forget about buying candy, gum, brownies, or any other junk food that isn't necessary.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 AM

113 posts, read 393,348 times
letting expensive cable and cell phone costs go can be a huge reduction in bills. You don't have to live without them but you can really scale back. Half of that savings can cover additional bills while the other half covers that scaled down cable and internet. It's hard to expect someone to be able to sacrifice their desires because you know you personally can. I have lived on 75.00 worth grocery's and 25.00 on hygiene products a month while on unemployment. I know exactly what to buy at it's cheapest and how to stretch it as a single person. I guess my biggest fear outweighed worrying if I'd be bored if I didn't have cable or unlimited cell service. My fear was losing my home. When you get to that moment cable and cell seems so nothing.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Exactly. It is hard to have empathy for someone who isn't willing to turn off their cable. Go to the library and check out DVDs. It is free and all libraries have tons of them, pick up a book as well and read.

What do you think people did before cable?

Keep the Internet for job searches but cutting the cable will save money and you need to learn to drive less. Getting in the car and going somewhere usually results in spending money.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Depending on your skills if you have a computer at home start looking for independent contracting jobs on sites like elance. It is a hard thing to do, but you won't get any work if you don't try! Many of the employers on sites like that are looking to pay under $3/hr (those jobs are for those in third world countries) but there are some paying more livable wages. I won a gig on elance almost 3 yrs ago and make over $15/hr now. I had 20 hrs. of work last week but will be closer to 15 this week. Most employers in my area/field pay under what I currently make. When you have no money every little bit helps.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_me View Post
I feel bad for you because it looks like you are about to learn the very hard and sometimes brutal difference between pampering and survival. If you want a roof over your head. Electricity, gas, and some food you will have to make major cuts in that 2000 monthly budget and just let some of the must haves go for a while..
I don't feel bad for the OP, as that is a lesson any adult should not have to be taught.

Needs: Food, clothing, shelter

Wants: Everything else

Can't afford wants, as an ex pres would say"I feel your pain (sar).

Old 05-04-2013, 03:02 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Buy a bus pass, and leave your cat at home. Only drive if you have an interview, or buying a lot of groceries.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
If you need $2000/month to live, you have a $200 gap with the max CA benefits...
Actually - not. The gap is $50.

$450x52=$23,400/12 = $1950/mo.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Buy a bus pass, and leave your cat at home. Only drive if you have an interview, or buying a lot of groceries.
Yes, please don't take your cat on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment