Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times

Advertisements

This is from the NJ unemployment website:
Q. Can a claimant work part time and still collect unemployment benefits?

A. Yes, a claimant may be eligible for partial unemployment benefits while working part time due to lack of work. However, the worker’s weekly benefit amount will be reduced dollar-for-dollar for all earnings in excess of 20% of the worker’s full weekly benefit rate.

So assuming I am collecting the max unemployment amount of $612 each week, I should be able to earn $122.40 a week without it impacting the full unemployment benefits at all. If I earned $123.40 a week my benefit amount would be $611, and a dollar less for every dollar over the 20% threshold I earn. I think I'm reading this right.

So my next question is the maximum unemployment benefit amount is currently 26 weeks (unless they extend EIC), say I file and collect for 2 weeks, find a part time job, work 3 weeks and don't collect, then file for unemployment again, can I collect unemployment for the next 24 weeks? In short does working a part time job impact the 26 weeks, or would they take away the 3 weeks I worked and only give me 21 weeks of benefits? (24 weeks unemployment left - 3 weeks worked = 21 weeks unemployment left)

From NJ Publication PR-94

TOTAL AMOUNT
: The total amount of benefits you may
be entitled to collect is called your MAXIMUM BENEFIT
AMOUNT (MBA). The total amount of benefits you may
receive is determined by multiplying the number of base weeks
you worked during your base year by your Weekly Benefit Rate,
up to a maximum of 26 times your Weekly Benefit Rate.
Your unemployment claim is in effect for one year minus
two days from the date of your claim. If you return to work
before you collect all the benefits in your claim, and then
become unemployed again, you should immediately visit
www.njuifile.net or call a Reemployment Call Center to
reopen your claim provided that the benefit year has not
expired. If your benefit year ends before you collect all the benefits in
your claim, the remainder cannot be paid to you.
You would then have to file a new claim for benefits.

This indicts to me that I would be paid, the unemployment claim is open for 1 year, so technically I could collect for 2 weeks, find a job for 5 months, and go back on unemployment under the original claim for the remainder of my benefits, since it's all still under the original active claim of 1 year.

Last edited by TechGromit; 07-01-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Yes, in NJ your PBA rate is 20% higher than your WBA. From the PBA is deducted any amount you earn, you are paid what's left.

Yes, you can close and reopen the claim anytime within the benefit year and resume benefits. Your monetary determination is only reduced by the benefits paid, not the weeks you don't claim.

If you don't exhaust your state benefits before your bye, those benefits are lost, as well as any EUC attached to that claim. You must begin EUC on that claim before the bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment