Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 AM

104 posts, read 313,098 times

Advertisements

If you get let go from a job in which you gave it your all but they were not happy and let you go. Then when it comes time for the unemployment hearing they lie so you will not get benefits (Basically they are trying to say you wanted to get fired, because if you did your best you get UI), and you get denied and have to appeal which leaves you will know money for months. Can you take legal action against your former company for not being honest? I would think yes? Sorry did not see a legal advice forum section to post this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times
You can sue for anything. The real question is would you win? No. Reason: if you couldn't prove the employer was lying at your UI hearing, you'll fail to prove it in court. You'd probably even be barred by collateral estoppel from relitigating a matter that was already covered in another forum for the same thing.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You can sue for anything. The real question is would you win? No. Reason: if you couldn't prove the employer was lying at your UI hearing, you'll fail to prove it in court. You'd probably even be barred by collateral estoppel from relitigating a matter that was already covered in another forum for the same thing.
I was under the impression if my phone hearing is denied and I have to appeal I would be able to find out what my job said about me that got my denied and having to appeal. People need to be able to take action and stand up for themselves against companies that constantly lie in order to not have to pay UI.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM

109 posts, read 424,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvdar View Post
I was under the impression if my phone hearing is denied and I have to appeal I would be able to find out what my job said about me that got my denied and having to appeal. People need to be able to take action and stand up for themselves against companies that constantly lie in order to not have to pay UI.
You are correct. You can find out what your employer said by reviewing your file at the office hearing your appeal right before the appeal hearing (usually 15 minutes)-but they may also let you see the file as soon as they receive your file. You'll have to call the designated appeal's office to find out.

However, you can also write or call EDD and have them send you a copy of the phone interviewer's findings without filing an appeal. I did that once. It won't be detailed but it will give you the interviewers notes of what your employer said when they called him as well as what you said and why they determined you ineligible.

Carol-Lynn

Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM

I will be doing that for sure. Is the EDD the normal UI office I call locally?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,542,235 times
Quote:
I will be doing that for sure. Is the EDD the normal UI office I call locally?
Carol is California - she is talking about CA EDD.

You are in NJ. You have to call NJ people.

You really should have put this discussion on your original thread, here,

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...mployment.html

and then CA people wouldn't be telling you to call EDD. You may recall, this thread joined four other threads on this claim.

Please keep all your comments on your situation to your original thread. Saves confusion.

And, if you forget and start yet another thread on your claim, at least mention your state.

That way, we avoid CA people telling you to call EDD when you live in New Jersey.

Thx.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-16-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM

13,139 posts, read 21,059,960 times
Quote:
Yes, you have the right to sue yourt employer for damages. BUT, you need to meet the requirments.
1. Can you prove by the evidence that what they say was false?
2. Can you prove that they knew the information was false?
3. Can you show damages from their action?

1 is the basic that you can prove it was false. 2 is required becasue everyone can make a mistake based on bad information so you need to not only show it was false, but they knew it was false yet still claimed it as truth. 3 is where you will stumble since as Chyvan stated, they will argue some estopple. Since you have not finished the unemployment process, you do not know if you will prevail.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes, you have the right to sue yourt employer for damages. BUT, you need to meet the requirments.
1. Can you prove by the evidence that what they say was false?
2. Can you prove that they knew the information was false?
3. Can you show damages from their action?

1 is the basic that you can prove it was false. 2 is required becasue everyone can make a mistake based on bad information so you need to not only show it was false, but they knew it was false yet still claimed it as truth. 3 is where you will stumble since as Chyvan stated, they will argue some estopple. Since you have not finished the unemployment process, you do not know if you will prevail.
That makes sense. I am sure I can prove they lied if I get what was said in the hearing. I still have not found out if I have to appeal as it is still listed as pended on my claim status. My call was only 4 business days ago so.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times
Like I said in the other thread, you haven't had a hearing. If you had, you would have heard with your own ears what your employer said, under oath. If you couldn't prove it a lie then, you won't get an opportunity to prove it is a lie in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment