Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 28,004 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

After reading and researching I apologize ahead of time if this question was already answered. By researching I confused myself so I'm asking on here to retain the correct knowledge.

I live in New Jersey and was recently approved for unemployment as of September 16th 2013. I heard, researched and been told about possible extensions after your allotted 26 weeks. Is this true? So after the 26 weeks New Jersey automatically transitions you to the tiers leaving tier 4 questionable due to congress??? I'm not saying I'm going to use the tiers I'm just curious how that all works.

I appreciate the help! Again, sorry if this was recently explained I'm just confused.

Thanks!
Jen

(Posted this originally in wrong forum, apparently I'm unaware how to use this site correctly lol sorry!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM

25,584 posts, read 56,589,372 times
Quote:
I live in New Jersey and was recently approved for unemployment as of September 16th 2013. I heard, researched and been told about possible extensions after your allotted 26 weeks. Is this true?
This is true for 2013. Under current legislation, payment for federal extensions ends December 28, 2013.

Quote:
So after the 26 weeks New Jersey automatically transitions you to the tiers
Yes, NJ does this automatically, legislation permitting.

Quote:
leaving tier 4 questionable due to congress???
NJ is no longer paying Tier 4 because its UE rate is below the 9% trigger.

By the time you are eligible for federal extensions, Congress will have passed, or not passed, new legislation. No guarantees on what this new legislation - if any - will look like in 2014. It is changed every year, usually after a protracted negotiations.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Thank you. So being that I just started my 26 weeks it's doubtful as of now unless congress passes a law that I won't get extended benefits. Extended benefits is the same as the tiers right or no?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoxjen01xox View Post
Extended benefits is the same as the tiers right or no?
No. Tier benefits are part of the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Program paid 100% by the federal government. These can be referred to as federal extensions or extended benefits (lower case), but they are NOT Extended Benefits, although NJ lists the tiers under Extended Benefits.

Extended Benefits (EB), a separate program, had been 100% paid by the federal government and are no longer are paid in any state, most states having phased out in 2012. Congress intentionally designed legislation so this program would gradually end.

At one time states participated in Extended Benefits with 50% cost-sharing - federal 50%/state 50%. Most states no longer do this as they can't afford it. NJ at one time also paid from EB from state coffers 100%, but it no longer does this, either.

For the most part, at present, Extended Benefits no longer exist.

Here is NJ's page on federal benefits:

Extended Benefits - New York State Department of Labor

Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM

So after the 26 weeks it's pretty much up to congress to decide if New Jersey or state wide will be granted the tiers? I apologize if I sound dumb just really confused myself.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoxjen01xox View Post
So after the 26 weeks it's pretty much up to congress to decide if New Jersey or state wide will be granted the tiers? I apologize if I sound dumb just really confused myself.
This is your answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
By the time you are eligible for federal extensions, Congress will have passed, or not passed, new legislation. No guarantees on what this new legislation - if any - will look like in 2014. It is changed every year, usually after protracted negotiations.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM

Thank you very much. I'm glad you know what you are talking about. �� again apologize for sounding dumb.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM

If you want a better picture of the evolution of the unemployment program, read through our FAQS.

Nothing much has changed since the last update, other than legislation is expiring the end of this year.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post22370378

Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,847 times
Default Tier 4 question

I can't figure out how to place a new post on this site so i am replying to a thread hoping someone can help me. I just started Tier 111. Is there any chance there will be a Tier IV or am i screwed if i can't find work. Thanks to anyone that can help

Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evitt View Post
I can't figure out how to place a new post on this site so i am replying to a thread hoping someone can help me. I just started Tier 111. Is there any chance there will be a Tier IV or am i screwed if i can't find work. Thanks to anyone that can help
NJ is no longer paying/triggered off Tier IV on 7/13/2013 due to 3-mo. UE rate below 9%. NJ's UE rate is fairly steady at 8.5%. Unless NJ has a huge spike in UE in the next month, no chance of resuming Tier IV before year-end.

New Jersey State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Further, all federal benefits end 12/28/2013 - unless Congress extends. So, even if NJ triggered back on, payments would end 12/28. If Congress extends, there may be further tweaks to program - so new extensions may differ from those currently available.

Don't plan on Tier IV.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-22-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment