Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 18,346 times

Advertisements

I was hired as an adminstrative assistant. My responsibilities were pretty basic, such as filing, answering phone calls, making copies etc. When I was hired I was given a list of my responsibilites, however at the end of the list, it stated "and other duties that is requested by management".

Now our bookkeeper quit, and they made me start doing his job. When they gave me his work load, they did not tell me its temporary, they just said, since the bookkeeper quit, you will be doing his job.

I tried doing his job as much as I can (no training, just by looking at old documents, and they did not give me any rate increase). But some of it are beyond my skills. I've told my boss a lot of time that I really am not comfortable doing the job as I do not understand most of it. But she just keeps telling me I'm doing a good job. But when I make a mistake, she has no problem showing her frustrations/anger to me.

Now my boss is always angry at me because I am not doing a great job at it, and telling me that I am not accomplishing my administrative duties on time. How can I, when I spend half my day doing bookkeeping duties. I have clients who are mad at me because they said I am doing the billing incorrectly. I have vendors yelling at me for not paying them on time. And I have employees who get mad at me because according to them I do not pay them correctly. Our payroll is approved by my boss, she does not want to pay anyone over time unless they work over forty hours/week. But I was told many times by our employees that over time is over 8 hours.

After a year, I finally hit my limit and was put on stress leave. My boss asked me why I am on stress leave, what was the reason. I finally wrote my complaint (this is not including my verbal complaints), and asked how we can resolve the problem. But she did not respond at all. I called her twice, but no phone call. So I quit my job a month ago. I did not file for unemployment because I quit.

But now someone told me that I can get unemployment for my reason of quitting. Is this possible? If yes, why and how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
There was some possible "good cause" in the post, but a lot of it was negated by your actions.

Change in your duties is good cause, but my reading makes me think it happened a year ago. You can't accept the changes, and then expect to be able to quit. You have to say, "that's not my job," at the time of the change, and if in about two weeks, you're still being made to do the new duties, then you can quit.

There was the pay issue. If the bookkeeper job is higher value work, and you received no increase in pay, then that could be good cause, but again, it sounds like you waited a year. You've only got about two weeks to say, "I want my extra money for the higher value work."

If I'm reading this right, you only have the stress leave left, and it looks like you might have quit without the advice of a doctor. If you have a doctor's note that says, "you have to get out of that environment," then you can pursue that angle.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 PM

When I came in to my doctor's office, she told me to get a new job, but it was more of a conversation. Same thing with my therapist, they just informed me to get a new job as my boss does not know her boundaries.

I feel so deflated because this person has constantly said soo many negative things to me, even leaving me horrible notes regarding my work quality, for something that was not even my responsibility. And I tried my best to SUCK IT UP as long as I can, and when I complain they just keep saying "we'll look into hiring someone for the position". I guess this how it feels to be screwed over and over.

thank you for your input

Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
You can work with this. If you complained about the new job duties and no extra pay for the increased responsibility, and you have any proof of the below, and that promise made you kept sticking it out, there comes a time when you get to call it quits and make it "good cause," but you didn't say that before.

Regardless of what I say, if you don't apply, then you don't get it. Apply for UI, don't go into a ton of detail on the app for UI, and learn what makes good cause when your employer changes your job, so that you'll be able to answer the questions correctly later in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxILHOONXX View Post
"we'll look into hiring someone for the position".

Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM

thank you very much for your help, I will apply and see how it goes... unfortunately all my complaints and their response regarding my duties was verbal. However i have a couple of proof of the way she talks to me as she left me notes/voice mails/emails. again thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment