Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 11:07 AM

163 posts, read 502,427 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

I am in discussions with a company regarding a project assignment that will last about six months. It's possible it will extend beyond that but not likely. The job is through an agency and not independent contractor so I would technically be employed by the agency.

With that, will I be able to file for unemployment whenever this assignment ends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
Maybe.

The better question is should you accept it rather than if you can get UI again.

Things that might happen to consider:

They treat you like dirt because you're just a temp and you quit. You're probably not going to get UI.

The temp agency is very astute at getting UI claims denied when a job ends because you don't follow some obscure policy that you were given but didn't understand or read correctly. Can cause a lot of grief getting back into the UI system.

You get fired for misconduct.

You might start and the work isn't steady week to week, and your trying to reopen your current claim.

Just really think this through. UI is never a sure thing. You can slant things in your favor. Just how great of a job is this? Would you quit any of your better jobs in the past to take this one? These are some of the questions I ask myself before considering to accept a job. Just because it's better than UI, doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
^^ Because she makes no mention of a current claim, I'm assuming she isn't collecting any benefits at this time.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-18-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Actually, she does have something in the works as far as a claim goes https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...-screw-up.html

Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM

OK, then. I've deleted all the rest of that text.

I REALLY WISH people would use THEIR ORIGINAL THREADS and provide complete CLAIM HISTORY, and STATE when posting.

Would save SO MUCH UNNECESSARY REDUNDANCY.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:33 PM

163 posts, read 502,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
OK, then. I've deleted all the rest of that text.

I REALLY WISH people would use THEIR ORIGINAL THREADS and provide complete CLAIM HISTORY, and STATE when posting.

Would save SO MUCH UNNECESSARY REDUNDANCY.
Well, this topic has NOTHING to do with whether or not I have a claim. That isn't relevant. The topic of this thread is related to whether or not I could file a claim when that project-based job ends. (I REALLY WISH your post wasn't so unnecessarily hostile, btw. I bet you're a real treat to be around.)

As for the other poster who said they might treat me like crap because I'm a temp and I might quit. Seriously? I'm supposed to let "what if's" stop me from accepting a position? The pay is good, the company is global. I cannot imagine a six-month stint with this company not being a positive experience that could possibly open doors. Also, I don't know about your situation but here's mine:

I need a job....BAD and I am in no position to pick and choose what I do and don't accept. I don't "quit" jobs regardless of how I'm treated because I am an adult and have bills that MUST get paid if I am to remain with a roof over my head.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
Well, this topic has NOTHING to do with whether or not I have a claim. That isn't relevant. The topic of this thread is related to whether or not I could file a claim when that project-based job ends. (I REALLY WISH your post wasn't so unnecessarily hostile, btw. I bet you're a real treat to be around.)
Whether or not you have a claim is ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT. If you are already collecting and reopening a claim, Chyvan's cautions are relevant.

If you do not have a claim, or your old claim expired and you are on EUC which is about to end, then my previous lengthy post (now deleted) would be very beneficial to you.

There is a thread at the top of this board which says:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post31918210

Good advice for anyone. It is there so that we are not continually asking the same Qs over and over and over.

There is no yes or no answer to your Q depending on your actual situation; there are far too many variables in each situation for a one-size fits all answer. Which is why we ask you keep your Qs to one thread. Your claim history is there - and claim history is always relevant.

But, since you think you know better, fine.

And, since I have answered you on other threads (I now find on research) and you are not a novice to this board, your remarks are uncalled for in their totality.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-18-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

You have to understand that when people come here, it's usually because there is a problem. The people that have perfect claims with no issues never show up. So the what "ifs" of a negative nature tend to be greatly overrepresented.

When I read "temp agency," I assume it's a job of a stop-gap nature.

Also, your prior claims history can make a material difference. We've had posters that took jobs about the 6 month mark, worked a borderline temp job, and than got stuck with horrible second claims when had they just waited a couple weeks could have gone back on to their much higher paying claims with EUC available.

I didn't want to tell you that everything would be just peaches and cream when the job ends because it sometimes doesn't work out. Only you can decide if this is the right job for you, and you did. That's fine, but don't be so hard on people that really wanted you to not make a mistake for no other reason than you didn't know any better or because no one told you.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM

174 posts, read 283,034 times
I think you should be eligible. I worked a temp job through an agency for 6 months, was officially an employee of that agency, filed for unemployment benefits after the contract ended and was approved. Just make sure you are on W-2, not an independent contractor. Independent contractors are not eligible for unemployment, they are considered self-employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment