Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 PM

148 posts, read 267,113 times

Advertisements

Do you have a link to an article where they said they for sure aren't giving retro ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM

149 posts, read 349,417 times
of course the benefits will/would be retro. That's the whole point of an extension! Think about it: Since Dec. 28, so many people's homes entered foreclosure. So what, they get nothing? No way. The whole point of extending benefits it to keep people "above water." Not to sink.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 AM

78 posts, read 279,137 times
I was able to claim for every week I wasn't working after Dec 28, 2013.

Retro payments would be extremely nice, but I can also deal with them not being retro since I have 2 and half months of Tiers 2 and 3 left.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanglow View Post
If you look at the senate floor schedule for Mon Mar 31, 2014 you'll see:

"Motion to proceed to H.R.3979, the legislative vehicle for the Unemployment Insurance extension (possible voice vote)".

Senate Floor Schedule for Monday, March 31, 2014 | Senate Democrats

And on Thur April 3, 2014 you'll see:

"Cloture on motion to proceed to H.R.3979, the legislative vehicle for the Unemployment Insurance extension; Invoked: 65-34"

Senate Floor Wrap Up for Thursday, March 27, 2014 | Senate Democrats

I clicked on "H. R. 3979" and it says it's a bill to protect volunteer firefighters?!?!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 34,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroOne View Post
I don't think they will pay retro either. Boehner is right. There is no way it would be possible. There is no way to verify that this many people were actually out of work during this long of a period of inactivity. It would be a nightmare. Would job search requirements come in to play? If so, it'll be impossible. The vast majority of us did not keep job search records during this time. And even if we did, there is no way possible to verify. And most states did not allow us to keep on filing, so again, no way to verify. So unless they just blindly cut big checks to millions of people, I say this matter is totally dead in the water. And I certainly don't see them just handing out billions of dollars in cash. This is really not going to happen people. I sure hope you aren't counting on this money cause we're all gonna be very very disappointed in the end.
Well, maybe Boehner should have thought about that in the first place, and not let this drag on and on

I disagree, of course they can track who has worked by SS #. It's not difficult,it's just an excuse.

I certainly know how much I did not get to collect on Tier 2 before it got put in hiatus on Dec. 28., I'm sure everyone else does too.

It would have made more sense if the states allowed us to file,(passed dec. 28)I'm in NJ, and we could not.
But, UI and the Dept of Labor can figure this out, they have done it in the past.

Before I lost my job, I worked in HR as a hiring manager. Good luck to all. I hope we all receive what is entitled to us.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM

350 posts, read 506,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I clicked on "H. R. 3979" and it says it's a bill to protect volunteer firefighters?!?!

Yes H.R. 3979 is a bill that was passed in the House of Representatives and then sent to the Senate. It is a bill "To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to ensure that emergency services volunteers are not taken into account as employees under the shared responsibility requirements contained in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act".

Bill Text - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)::

The Unemployment bill S.2149 would be attached to the H.R. 3979 passed House bill and sent back to the House for further consideration. So H.R. 3979 is the legislative vehicle for the Unemployment bill. The idea by Senator Reid is to attach the Unemployment bill to a "must pass" bill and forward it to the House. At one point the "Doc Fix" was considered as a possible vehicle, but the co-authors of the Unemployment bill S. 2149 settled on H.R. 3979 instead. Even though these 2 bills seem unrelated as to context, this happens all the time when negotiations/concessions are made. You might recall Senator McConnell wanting concessions with Obamacare in order to pass an Unemployment extension, even though these two are unrelated.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,606,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroOne View Post
I don't think they will pay retro either. Boehner is right. There is no way it would be possible. There is no way to verify that this many people were actually out of work during this long of a period of inactivity. It would be a nightmare. Would job search requirements come in to play? If so, it'll be impossible. The vast majority of us did not keep job search records during this time. And even if we did, there is no way possible to verify. And most states did not allow us to keep on filing, so again, no way to verify. So unless they just blindly cut big checks to millions of people, I say this matter is totally dead in the water. And I certainly don't see them just handing out billions of dollars in cash. This is really not going to happen people. I sure hope you aren't counting on this money cause we're all gonna be very very disappointed in the end.
I have to agree. I don't see how they would ever approve funds to unverified claims. States have already said they don't have the manpower or computer systems for all this.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I have to agree. I don't see how they would ever approve funds to unverified claims. States have already said they don't have the manpower or computer systems for all this.
From Msnbc.com:

"The Senate has since tweaked the bill to address one of the big problems raised by the National Association of State Workforce Agencies (NASWA). That has left state officials “optimistic” that their concerns will be addressed, according to NASWA’s executive director, Richard Hobbie.

NASWA was concerned that the original bill wouldn’t give state officials adequate funding to revamp its applications process. There’s now a technical fix in the bill to make sure there wouldn’t be any “administrative funding constraints,” Rhode Island Democratic Sen. Jack Reed, one of bill’s lead sponsors, said on the Senate floor yesterday. “It will make it administratively easier to implement.”

Labor Secretary Tom Perez also wrote a letter vowing to work with state officials to ensure they had adequate technology and other resources to apply the benefits retroactively, which were other concerns that NASWA raised. The bill would restore federal unemployment benefits for five months, backdated to Dec. 28

“The Department of Labor has consistently worked with state to implement these extensions in an effective, collaborative and prompt fashion, and will do so again,” Perez said in his letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

But Hobbie says he’s encouraged by the administration’s response, as well as the tweak made to the Senate bill. “We thought the letter from Secretary Perez was good, and it promised to work hard on resolving the issues that might impact states adversely,” Hobbie told msnbc. “We’re optimistic that the Department of Labor will figure out a way to lessen the state concerns".”

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 PM

42 posts, read 63,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
In my opinion, the states can do it. Even if it gets approved within the next 2 weeks, they will not be able to hand out checks right away. It will take weeks before everything is sorted out. I rather receive money late than never.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM

There are multiple votes this week in connection with the Unemployment extension. The multiple votes are because that's the Senate process for passage of the bill.

From the Senate floor schedule:-
"At 5:30pm today Monday, there will be at least 2 roll call votes (3 expected):
- Confirmation of Executive Calendar #573, John Owens, of CA, to be US Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit,
- Expected motion to waive the Budget Act with respect to H.R.4302 (60-vote threshold),
- Passage of H.R.4302 (60-vote threshold), and
- Motion to proceed to H.R.3979, the legislative vehicle for the Unemployment Insurance extension (possible voice vote)".

After the voice vote today, the UI would be filed as an amendment. Then cloture motion would be filed to end debate. This requires overcoming a 60-vote threshold. There would be a 30 hour wait before the final vote takes place. The final vote will be hopefully on Thursday Apr 3 according to Senator Reed. The Unemployment bill is expected to pass in the Senate. The bill would then move to the House for further consideration, where it is expected to meet with cold reception.

https://twitter.com/SenJackReed/stat...59134460178432
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment