Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times

Advertisements

Generally Republicans have opposed the extension because they believe it does not motivate the unemployed to find a job as long as they have access to benefits. All throughout the financial crisis and recession Republicans voted with Democrats to extend the benefits, but now with the worst of the crisis over Republicans think the long-term jobless need to find jobs rather than receive benefits.

During the 2008 recession when Republican George W. Bush was President the government enlarged the Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Program to extend unemployment benefits beyond the 26 weeks that the states give. During the recession the "combined" state and federal benefits gave unemployed Americans 99 weeks of relief. The federal government provides "47 weeks" of extended benefits averaging "$300 a week." The unemployment benefits were extended 11 times until now, the last time was a year extension in January 2013. Then benefits were cut from 99 weeks to a maximum of 73 weeks.

People are generally less motivated to take the first "acceptable" job knowing they have 60 weeks of UI benefits available... I'll be the first to admit that.

Is $15 hr acceptable? Barely... But $25 is much better. Would I accept a $15 offer if I had 60 weeks of UI remaining? No. Would I accept it if I had 2 weeks remaining? Most likely.

Less time is more motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM

424 posts, read 593,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

Generally Republicans have opposed the extension because they believe it does not motivate the unemployed to find a job as long as they have access to benefits. All throughout the financial crisis and recession Republicans voted with Democrats to extend the benefits, but now with the worst of the crisis over Republicans think the long-term jobless need to find jobs rather than receive benefits.

During the 2008 recession when Republican George W. Bush was President the government enlarged the Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) Program to extend unemployment benefits beyond the 26 weeks that the states give. During the recession the "combined" state and federal benefits gave unemployed Americans 99 weeks of relief. The federal government provides "47 weeks" of extended benefits averaging "$300 a week." The unemployment benefits were extended 11 times until now, the last time was a year extension in January 2013. Then benefits were cut from 99 weeks to a maximum of 73 weeks.

People are generally less motivated to take the first "acceptable" job knowing they have 60 weeks of UI benefits available... I'll be the first to admit that.

Is $15 hr acceptable? Barely... But $25 is much better. Would I accept a $15 offer if I had 60 weeks of UI remaining? No. Would I accept it if I had 2 weeks remaining? Most likely.

Less time is more motivation.
Hell yes I would. A full time job at $15 an hour is nearly twice what I would be getting a week for unemployment.

Unemployment in New York State is the equivelant of warning around $8.50-9 an hour depending on your taxes..

Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM

148 posts, read 267,020 times
I would too. And who has 60 weeks of UI remaining? It all goes in tiers. I would take a steady job over UI anyday. Would I want a minimum wage job? NO..I will be he first to admit that. But $15 is do-able.

Last edited by JMT; 04-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Please no snarky comments.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
Hell yes I would. A full time job at $15 an hour is nearly twice what I would be getting a week for unemployment.

Unemployment in New York State is the equivelant of warning around $8.50-9 an hour depending on your taxes..
My bad... I was referencing WA state unemployment where the state maximum is ballpark $15 an hour... ($624 week) which brings up the "Why should I accept a $15 hr job when I am drawing $15 hr unemployment for the next XX weeks" which is basically what the Republicans are talking about in their argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
I would too. And who has 60 weeks of UI remaining? It all goes in tiers. I would take a steady job over UI anyday. Would I want a minimum wage job? NO..I will be he first to admit that. But $15 is do-able.
As for the "60 weeks" of UI remaining... I was just throwing a number out there. I realize everything is in tiers based on state UI rate. I was thinking 26 weeks state UI plus 30ish weeks EUC...

Last edited by JMT; 04-23-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 42,208 times
sorry people i havent been on this thread for a while. is there any updates? are they on break? is it over for us euc ppl or we still have a chance lol

Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM

174 posts, read 283,001 times
Thank you, Oceanglow, for posting the updates. Does not look promising. Not that I counted for UI extension, but could certainly use the $ as my savings are dwindling. Today I got rejected for two jobs I had interviewed for in the last three weeks. Had a job interview yesterday and a phone screen today, but don't feel good about either one, and have no other interviews coming up. Very stressed from looking for work for 8 months everyday non-stop and coming up with nothing. Whoever thinks that unemployed are not looking for work when they are getting UI, is very wrong.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM

350 posts, read 506,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessinNYC View Post
Thank you, Oceanglow, for posting the updates. Does not look promising. Not that I counted for UI extension, but could certainly use the $ as my savings are dwindling. Today I got rejected for two jobs I had interviewed for in the last three weeks. Had a job interview yesterday and a phone screen today, but don't feel good about either one, and have no other interviews coming up. Very stressed from looking for work for 8 months everyday non-stop and coming up with nothing. Whoever thinks that unemployed are not looking for work when they are getting UI, is very wrong.
You're welcomed in connection with my posting the updates. Actually I don't feel comfortable being on this forum and posting updates - I took a break from the forum for the past few days, and may decide if I might continue my input in future. I've only had white collar professional jobs in my career. This is the first time I feel verbally attacked by a particular poster, and I've not had exposure to this in my professional life or otherwise.

I'd like to encourage you to keep putting efforts in your job search. You've had 2 interviews recently and one of the opportunities in future would come to fruition. Just continue your efforts with your job search without taking the EUC into consideration. If the EUC passes that's great, otherwise continue working your plan. If there is a weakness in your candidacy, try to improve it.

In the past, I have had a situation where I was so disappointed in not getting a particular job. Two weeks later, I had an offer with another opportunity which was a better fit for my skills and experience, offered me growth potential, paid much more than the lost opportunity, and I worked with some really awesome people. That job turned out to be my best job, and my boss from that job continues to be my career mentor, and professional reference. The universe is compassionate, and things would work out in the end.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 PM

148 posts, read 267,020 times
Oceanglow please don't leave this forum. You are one of the better posters on here. A lot of us are extremely annoyed by one particular "poster" on here...but just ignore this person. I have for awhile. I have also started on a new ui claim and focusing my efforts on getting another professional license so haven't been posting much on here. But please don't leave us.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 AM

12 posts, read 25,355 times
Annoying posts are everywhere in the comments sections of the articles covering emergency unemployment extension. I have my Google alerts set to "unemployment extension," so I can stay informed of the latest news regarding EUC.

I find that commenters who attack have not been updated as to the reality of our situation. One of my favorite (I say that with tongue in cheek) common posts come from the posters who start with, "When I was unemployed, 15 years ago ... " and -- no comparison to then and now -- none -- and another of my personal favorites, "just take a job -- any job -- sweep floors, deliver newspapers, mow lawns ..." I have to ignore them because I would be spending way too much time online, expending negative energy, if I were to respond to them all. We are a nation of many uninformed citizens and that scares me. And never has it been so obvious to me, as it has beeen as the result of this shocking and disheartening experience.

Okay, enough about that. Oceanglow, you must do what you need to do to feel comfortable. Personally, I'm selfish and count on your posts. But we're frustrated enough with the way this has been handled (or not handled) that we don't need the additional frustration of needing to defend our reality.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM

314 posts, read 697,759 times
Girl gives Michelle Obama her unemployed father’s résumé
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment