Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 5,759 times

Advertisements

Hello all. First time poster. I have been claiming unemployment with no problem for 3 months. I went to claim Sunday and got a message saying i had to call. Called today(mon) and waited for 2.5 hrs, when i finally got through the lady said "are you working for xxxx company" I told her I have never heard of them, she said "ok hold on for a few minutes" places me on hold and a few mins later she hangs up. Tried calling back all day and phone system says they cant take my call due to high call volume (ill call back tomo)

question is: how big of a problem is this and should i be worried? I have not found a job since i started working thats why Im confused about this. Its a company in Florida thats why im confused about what is happening? DO I need to just speak to unemployment and tell them I am not working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
Yes, this could be a very big deal if earnings going back for a while have been reported under your SSN.

Yes, you need to call NJ back and straighten this out or NJ may stop paying you, if it has not already. Or, go to a NJ one-stop office and speak to someone there.

You need to tell NJ - in a concrete way - these are not your earnings. Ask NJ what verification they need from you on this.

If you don't straighten this out, NJ may ask for repayment of all benefits you have been paid thus far.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,276 times
Default same thing happened to me

Same trouble this weekend, I called and she asked me if I was working for "Sapphire" I said I never heard of them. She asked me if I applied to them and I said no. I told her I had a part time job I was going to start later this week and she said that these could be their payroll people maybe and just put through my claim.

I won't be able to call back for more than two weeks, I will be in training for full time and cannot make 4 hour calls (and yes, that is the hold times we get). And could never go to the one-stop. It is in a place where you can't take a car, you have to have somebody drop you off and this is no place for cars to be parked hardly anywhere in that section of the city. I hope this is not an identify theft.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM

The job is from florida and i live in illinois now. Lady on phone said "i started the job 3 weeks ago" But since i Live in Illinois Im confused how I could have a job in florida. I have not cashed a payheck nor had adirect deposit of a paycheck

SUESEWS: did they eventually drop the problem and pay you?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,050,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueSews View Post
I won't be able to call back for more than two weeks, I will be in training for full time and cannot make 4 hour calls (and yes, that is the hold times we get). And could never go to the one-stop. It is in a place where you can't take a car, you have to have somebody drop you off and this is no place for cars to be parked hardly anywhere in that section of the city. I hope this is not an identify theft.
However you do it, you need to settle this fast. You could get denied for benefits and even be charged with an overpayment. It may just be a glitch or filing error, OR, it could be due to identity theft. You won't belive how many people learned they were a victim of identity theft due to discovery via some benefit claim.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Question is: When I call back tomo amI going to have to jump through hoops tomo when I call? or will it be I just tell them its not me and they correct it?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM

Rabrrita - Sadly, no I can't do anything about it possibly for two weeks since it is so difficult to get through to UI here. I am essentially in boot camp from 9-5 for two weeks of training or I lose the job. Maybe next week I can explain to trainer (if I can get into a call back queue from UI) that I have to take a very important call regarding possible ID theft, I don't know.

This was my last week to claim - my benefits are exhausted now.

Armstrow- the person did let my claim go through so I don't think there could have been any wages actually reported as I made it clear to her that I have not worked at all and was still looking while I have been waiting for this part time thing to start me. If there had been actual wages reported I would not be getting paid I don't think. Perhaps she was hearing there were others calling in and they were seeing a pattern.

Could be we are just a coincidence. If there are two of us just posting here I wonder how many more there are if it is scam? Or maybe just a glitch in the system.

You will find out more tomorrow. Crossing my fingers there has just been a big glitch.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 PM

im prayingto god, have a interview for end of week but dead broke and dont want to go weeks moneyless....is there anything certain i should tell them or stress to them

Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 AM

Not sure what to tell them except the truth, you never heard of this company and have not worked for them. They told you it was three weeks ago? Just wondering if that is shortly after you applied to the company you have an interview with. It is nearly unheard of for a company to spend money on background check, etc until they are ready to make an offer but who knows and maybe somebody in there HR slipped up and started a payroll process for you. I know when the rep told me I had gone back to work at Blahblah company I was like, huh? I never worked there at all and never heard of them. I have checked my claim status online and it says I should get the full amount today. Not pending direct deposit in my bank yet but then again since it was not processed until yesterday it could take another day.

If they continue to hold up your claim and there are definitely wages being reported under your SS get as much info as you can out of UI and then contact the prosecutor's office in your county. They will be able to track it down. I don't know much about how long they can hold up your UI claim but you would want to get the ball rolling ASAP.

In my case, it doesn't look like there were any wages reported or I am sure they would have been deducted from my payment or questioned me further.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Guy said they have to investigate it but he asked me thr normal questions(able and available for work etc) said he would release the funds and i would have it in 48 hrs, on njuifile.net its not showed as paid yet (its only been a hour) dunno if it takes a day to update. Does what he said sound normal? And if he said ill have the money in 48 hours do i have any worry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment