Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,356 times

Advertisements

I currently have a job, but it is not the greatest thing in the world. An opportunity has come up to work with a really amazing company, but only on a contract-basis. The good company says that they often hire-full timers from folks doing contract work, but it is by no means certain.

So, my question is, if I take the chance and move to the company offering a temporary contract, and then they decide not to offer me a full-time position, am I eligible for UI?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:23 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,852,555 times
Here you cant work and get UE, well i mean you could but you have to claim it and it effects your UE. You also have to be working at the place for at least 6mo to qualify for any UE and it ha to be through no fault of your own.

In your case, Im not sure. Youd be quitting, which is your fault.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,353 times
U need to ask the company before u decide to take it if you're eligible.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:53 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,104,721 times
What state are you in? If it's Arizona, then the regulation that will apply is:

Arizona Administrative Code

D. Leaving full-time work to accept part-time work (V L 365.43)
1. A worker who leaves full-time work for part-time work merely because of a preference for part-time work leaves without good cause in connection with his work.
2. A worker who leaves full-time work for part-time work leaves for compelling personal reasons not attributable to his employer if:
a. It can be shown that personal circumstances or health reasons compelled the change; or
b. He quits unsuitable full-time work to accept part-time work for which he is qualified.

Also, you weren't very precise with your words. You say a "part-time job," but then you refer to it as "contract." It's makes some difference.

If you were to quit a full-time for a part-time job, you wouldn't be eligible immediately for partial UI. However, if you worked there and earned enough to purge the disqualification from qutting your full-time job, you might very well be able to collect. It currently requires 5 X your weekly benefit amount to purge a disqualification. So if your weekly benefit amount would be $240, you need to earn $1,200 at this new job, and after you did that you could apply to get partial UI assuming you make less than $240/week gross.

However, if you're truly "contract," those earnings might never purge a disqualification, so you have to really think this thing through. Now, if this a regular part-time job where you are an employee, then you can pull it off.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
U need to ask the company before u decide to take it if you're eligible.
Where do you get this? You NEVER ask your employer(s) about UI matters. Since they pay the bill, they'll make dang sure you mess it up.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Also, you weren't very precise with your words. You say a "part-time job," but then you refer to it as "contract." It's makes some difference.
I don't see anything in OP's original post talking about part-time. Only Q she asks is if contract ends - can she collect unemployment. She mentions offer of "full-time" position, but I infer she means she is either employed or she isn't, per this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaIcedTea3 View Post
I currently have a job, but it is not the greatest thing in the world. An opportunity has come up to work with a really amazing company, but only on a contract-basis. The good company says that they often hire-full timers from folks doing contract work, but it is by no means certain.

So, my question is, if I take the chance and move to the company offering a temporary contract, and then they decide not to offer me a full-time position, am I eligible for UI?

Many thanks!
So, answer is, as Chyvan states, if you've worked enough on W-2 wages (not 1099) to purge the quit, then, yes, you probably can collect unemployment.

Q on contract: Are you being paid 1099 or W-2.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,353 times
Yeah you're right.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I don't see anything in OP's original post talking about part-time.
It was in the subject. The place we sometimes miss to look at.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,356 times
Thanks for the response guys.

I am actually not in Arizona, but in CA

To answer your questions, the new job would be a contract-based job in the software industry. Not part-time, sorry about the confusion!

Does anybody know a similar page explaining the policies in California? I'm pretty sure I would earn enough to cover the disqualification.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 PM

It's the "contract" that's going to ruin it for you. Those wages are normally not "covered wages," so they will never purge the disqualification. Also, "contract" it looks like you've "joined the ranks of the self-employed."

This is where you can read about this Benefit Determination Guide Index

Don't assume you understand what you read. It can be subject to interpretation, and usually if it can go in a way favorable or adverse to you, it's quite often the adverse interpretation that will apply.

You've got some complex issues:

You're quitting a job for something that might be better, but it's not better right now. UI deals in certainty, not speculation or possibilities.

It's contract, so you have the monetary issues so whether it's "covered wages," can purge a disqualification, and if you've "joined the ranks of the self employed."

If you study carefully, you might pull this off, but I hope you have a lot of time to make your decision. You're going to need more than 24 hours to find the information you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment