Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 PM

44 posts, read 115,623 times

Advertisements

Sooooo, does anyone have any inkling about extensions for NJ unemployment? Is it possible? I was laid off in 9/10/14 and have been frantically looking for a job ever since. I've been sending out resumes every week - averaging between 5-10 resumes a weekly - + contacting several head hunters. I have 2 college degrees and graduated w/honors, and still no interview and no job.

I'm beyond worried and especially since I'm down to my last 8 weeks of unemployment. When I finally got my unemployment, (it almost took 2 months before I finally got it), and spoke to someone on the phone, I inquired about extensions and the woman literally said, "don't even bother asking for it."

I only ask b/c I know there are a lot of past/present unemployment employees on this site and they have given me some great and helpful info in the past. So any news, help, advice would be greatly and much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Sorry to report - there are no extensions for anyone in any state. Congress ended the program in December 2013, despite numerous attempts to revive the first half of 2014. The extension program will not be resurrected.

You should contact your social services people for help - food, energy assistance, etc.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
The person from unemployment was correct, don't bother as the answer will be no. "Technically" NJ does have an unemployment extension regulation on the books, but it is unfunded and it's up to the Governor to authorize the state extension. But they have only offered extensions when the federal government paid the bill. No federal extension -no NJ extension.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 PM

that's really disappointing and scary, but thanks for the info.

Ariadne22 - I already applied for food stamps and they are only willing to give me $16 a month which is ridiculous and insulting. I only get about $250 (after taxes) from unemployment, which after paying my bills, leaves me w/ $80 a week and that's suppose to cover my food, gas and any other expenses.

Hopefully a job will come along SOON!

thanks again.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
When your UI runs out, you should get a letter telling you you've been cut off. You use that letter to report a change in income, and your food stamps should increase to about $190/mo.

Also, you can get Lifeline phone service (either a $10/mo discount on a landline or a free cellphone from the likes of safelink.com or assurancewireless.com), apply for a LIHEAP grant, apply for Obamacare, and ask your utility providers if they have low income discount programs available.

Just try to get as much free money as you can for the stuff that you can and use your savings for the stuff that no one every helps with.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 PM

Chyvan - thanks for the suggestions. I am already on Obamacare, and since I live in government housing, I do not qualify for the LIHEAP grant since my utilities are included. I've basically cut down on as much as bills as I could, including deferring my student loans. But when my UI does run out- it expires in march - I do plan on bringing the necessary paperwork and applying for food stamps, etc if I have to.

I have even been applying to jobs out-of-state in hopes of finding something. I just hope that some job, ANY job will come through by march. I grew up on welfare and food stamps and I really would like to get out of that cycle. I thought by getting 2 college degrees would help, but womp womp, it obvs doesnt do s***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment