Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:11 PM

162 posts, read 247,715 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently was fired from a job and just started receiving unemployment. I am going on week for of UI, and have applied for quite a few jobs (much more than the required 4 per week). At my last job, I made almost 50k/per year.

As I apply for these jobs, some of them don't have salary information or they're DOQ. Thing is, I would hate to apply for one of these jobs, interview, and then "refuse work" because of the lack of pay. What do you do when you face this issue?

Also, if you apply for a job, but later find out that the job doesn't pay as much as you hoped and are called for an interview, but you turn it down, does that constitute "refused work"?

Additionally, I work in the education field, so most of the jobs won't be posted until June/July. I am going to see if I can get a summer position that will lead into a permanent year round contract position, but at this point, I'm not sure what to do.

I really hate being on UI, and want to work, but a menial job doesn't make much sense at this point when I would make more on UI.

Last, I live in WI and my UI is through WI. Aside from the workshops on jobseeker that they require you to do, what else do they make you do the longer you're on UI?

Also, do I need to report EVERY job I apply for? On my weekly claims it just asks for 4, which I do report.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 11:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman136 View Post
have applied for quite a few jobs (much more than the required 4 per week).
It's a balancing act. Apply for all the jobs you can one week, and then you may find no new ones to apply for the next week, and then you'll be lying on your work search. You need to pace yourself to meet the UI requirements, but at the same time not exhaust a finite supply of jobs to apply for.

Quote:
As I apply for these jobs, some of them don't have salary information or they're DOQ. Thing is, I would hate to apply for one of these jobs, interview, and then "refuse work" because of the lack of pay. What do you do when you face this issue?
Refusals are still easier to deal with than taking the job, and quitting later. The best strategy is do NOT apply for a job you aren't sure of. Call and ask what the pay is or move on.

Quote:
Also, if you apply for a job, but later find out that the job doesn't pay as much as you hoped and are called for an interview, but you turn it down, does that constitute "refused work"?
In a strict sense, it can, but the employer would have to report it, and some will and some won't. Again, only apply for jobs you actually want.

Quote:
Additionally, I work in the education field, so most of the jobs won't be posted until June/July. I am going to see if I can get a summer position that will lead into a permanent year round contract position, but at this point, I'm not sure what to do.
To be safe, you only apply for jobs about as good or better than you had before. If for some reason this stop gap thing you propose doesn't turn into a real job, then you have to keep it because you agreed to it.

When you draw your last UI check, you'll have a whole lot more flexibility. It's a much easier decision to make when it's no money vs some money than when it's some money vs the potential loss of a UI check.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
It's a balancing act. Apply for all the jobs you can one week, and then you may find no new ones to apply for the next week, and then you'll be lying on your work search. You need to pace yourself to meet the UI requirements, but at the same time not exhaust a finite supply of jobs to apply for.

Refusals are still easier to deal with than taking the job, and quitting later. The best strategy is do NOT apply for a job you aren't sure of. Call and ask what the pay is or move on.

In a strict sense, it can, but the employer would have to report it, and some will and some won't. Again, only apply for jobs you actually want.

To be safe, you only apply for jobs about as good or better than you had before. If for some reason this stop gap thing you propose doesn't turn into a real job, then you have to keep it because you agreed to it.

When you draw your last UI check, you'll have a whole lot more flexibility. It's a much easier decision to make when it's no money vs some money than when it's some money vs the potential loss of a UI check

That makes sense. Why would some employers report it and others not? How often will UI call you on a situation like this? The thing is, what if you go for an interview (but based on the job description it sounded great), but then in the interview you find out that it's just not for you? I mean, you are interviewing the employer as much as they're interviewing you.

I guess the thing is, I'm just really worried now. I have applied for some things I think I would like, but there are only so many jobs open in my field (get the whole balancing act).

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-13-2015, 04:49 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
I spent some time last night looking at how WI defines "suitable" work. Advent of Scott Walker has resulted in multiple changes to the WI program. All I could find on definition of suitable work was pay commensurate with prevailing wage in area for type of work offered - way too broad a definition for someone newly unemployed - and very unfair. Skill set, education, training, previous wage/experience/job duties were not mentioned - that I could find.

Most states (not all - extreme r-wing states are big offenders) will allow you to refuse work which is not comparable to your previous wage, skill set, experience education - at least in the first few months of unemployment. The longer you are unemployed the less latitude you have in refusing "unsuitable" work - and, in the end, you could be forced to take a McJob.

I do not know, today, if WI will now will allow you that flexibility.

Should you actually be offered a position which you deem unsuitable as to pay, duties, etc., and you decide to refuse - and report that refusal - you will find out then if WI still accepts the common sense definition of "unsuitable" - or if, now, the state is requiring you accept any work offered. You might want to inquire of local employment attorneys or legal aid for more guidance on WI's current approach to job refusals and its definition of "unsuitable" - or call WI and see if a phone rep can give you some guidance. That said, usually phone reps are NOT a good source.

Therefore, best advice is to be very careful in jobs to which you apply. Generally, if you are overeducated, the more menial jobs will never be offered. If you are suspicious of any firm requesting an interview, decline the interview. Very unlikely the employer will report this.

When I was unemployed, I was contacted for an interview for a position in my field - but I KNEW, because the firm was small, there was no way I wanted to work for them - too much of the grunt work would fall on me whereas my previous position had people to do this work. So, I politely - via email - declined an interview, saying I was going in a different direction. Never heard from them again - and this had no impact on my benefits. Interview never took place, therefore job was never offered, therefore there was no refusal.

I only suggest that as a segue around interviewing when you determine you really aren't interested.

You may get to the point where there isn't anything in your field and need to - just for form's sake - make application to any generic job. I did that, as well. Never heard back from any of them. My work searches were never audited.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I spent some time last night looking at how WI defines "suitable" work. Advent of Scott Walker has resulted in multiple changes to the WI program. All I could find on definition of suitable work was pay commensurate with prevailing wage in area for type of work offered - way too broad a definition for someone newly unemployed - and very unfair. Skill set, education, training, previous wage/experience/job duties were not mentioned - that I could find.

Most states (not all - extreme r-wing states are big offenders) will allow you to refuse work which is not comparable to your previous wage, skill set, experience education - at least in the first few months of unemployment. The longer you are unemployed the less latitude you have in refusing "unsuitable" work - and, in the end, you could be forced to take a McJob.

I do not know, today, if WI will now will allow you that flexibility.

Should you actually be offered a position which you deem unsuitable as to pay, duties, etc., and you decide to refuse - and report that refusal - you will find out then if WI still accepts the common sense definition of "unsuitable" - or if, now, the state is requiring you accept any work offered. You might want to inquire of local employment attorneys or legal aid for more guidance on WI's current approach to job refusals and its definition of "unsuitable" - or call WI and see if a phone rep can give you some guidance. That said, usually phone reps are NOT a good source.

Therefore, best advice is to be very careful in jobs to which you apply. Generally, if you are overeducated, the more menial jobs will never be offered. If you are suspicious of any firm requesting an interview, decline the interview. Very unlikely the employer will report this.

When I was unemployed, I was contacted for an interview for a position in my field - but I KNEW, because the firm was small, there was no way I wanted to work for them - too much of the grunt work would fall on me whereas my previous position had people to do this work. So, I politely - via email - declined an interview, saying I was going in a different direction. Never heard from them again - and this had no impact on my benefits. Interview never took place, therefore job was never offered, therefore there was no refusal.

I only suggest that as a segue around interviewing when you determine you really aren't interested.

You may get to the point where there isn't anything in your field and need to - just for form's sake - make application to any generic job. I did that, as well. Never heard back from any of them. My work searches were never audited.
This totally makes sense! This is within first month of UI, so I will not bother with going to an interview unless its for a position that I truly want. Furthermore, I will NOT apply for positions that I wouldn't really want to do anyway.

That being said, I have contacted quite a few employers that offer positions in my area, and will continue to do so. I would really like to be off UI in the next month or so.

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on UI before finding another job?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
For me, losing my job was the end of my working life. I was 61 at the time, and after drawing for 89 weeks, I then filed for social security.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on UI before finding another job?
Like Chyvan, I never went back to work. Also, eligible for SS. At that point - after working over 50 years - I really was at the end of my rope. Could have stayed with my employer another 3-4 years, just to stash some cash - but to start over elsewhere - no. Much too hard at that age - especially the type of work I was doing - way too much pressure. Did have some interesting callbacks, however, one from Johnson Controls - which, had I been younger, I would have worked harder at getting. As it was, I'd had it.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 PM

Default How do I handle this

Hi guys,

So here's the deal. I received a phone call for an interview next week for a teacher position, which is the field I am currently in. Anyway, the position doesn't start until August if I am offered the position. Unfortunately, I need the UI, and can't go from next week until August with no income. I think have a good shot at this job too.

I have been on UI for 3 weeks (Wisconsin) and was wondering how I handle this. If offered a job, will I lose my UI, or can I keep collecting until August?

Last, will I have to keep doing job searches and take a job offer if one happens before August? I could always just apply for things I don't qualify for since it's nearing August.

I would really appreciate some help. I am not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks much!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:21 PM

I think I got my answer Via PM.. But if anyone wants to chime in, great!

Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM

Promise of a job is not a job. You remain unemployed - and are NOT employed until you actually start the job. Anything can happen between now and August. When you begin work, stop claiming. That's all you have to do.

Yes, you must keep searching. Implicit in claiming each week is that you can answer "yes" to the work search questions. If you stop searching, you no longer qualify for benefits.

Last edited by JMT; 04-15-2015 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment