Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 PM

313 posts, read 497,626 times

Advertisements

Update: I received a post card in the mail that was apparently sent on May 9th, I didn't get it until May 16th, so that's odd.

It said to immediately call the auditor on my case, so I did and had a conversation asking me many questions regarding my role at the contract job, and why I thought I was an employee.

The auditor said they will give the companies until the 22nd to respond the same way I did. If they cant get in touch with them and if they can't get a response from them, then my claim will be updated 7-10 business days AFTER the 22nd.

So, potential determination on actual employee status on my unemployment the 2nd week of June if I'm lucky.

I signed up for the UI online and have been claiming all the benefits online that are available, per UI instructions. So, even though there hasn't been an official determination and I haven't been paid any UI benefits yet, filling out all the forms and just waiting seems to be the key to the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,112,666 times
At least you're making progress.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 PM

313 posts, read 497,626 times
Update: SUCCESS! Today I got notification on UI Online that I have been paid for my job that incorrectly labeled me an "independent contractor"

I've been paid for 3 weeks total so far, but I have more forms to fill out, so I'm not quite up to date yet.

I'm thankful that this was a relatively smooth process. For anyone going thru it, I highly suggest getting someone on the phone early even though it feels almost impossible. OR go into the office and talk to someone face-to-face regarding starting the audit of your previous employer. Then, sign up for UI online because I've been contacting them through that all this time, and they respond really quickly and thoroughly. Also, stay home (not that you're going on vacation anytime soon anyway) because they will send you things in the mail you don't expect, like the random post card with my auditor's information on it!

In all, it took a month, from April 20th when I started the process, until today, May 26th. Not too bad, and a lot shorter than I expected.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,112,666 times
What a relief. Yours was much faster than the other poster's experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment