Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 39,251 times

Advertisements

I missed my phone interview with Unemplyment! I called the number and left two messages. I'm worried I will be denied benefits because of this. Please help I'm not sure what to do I have never dealt with unemployment before.

Last edited by missedcall; 02-06-2015 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 02:49 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Did you quit or were you fired?

You might get denied UI, but you can appeal. Trust me, with all the threads I've read over the past three years, and what people have to say, I think you missing the call is going to help you, not hurt you. People say way too much on these calls, and then have to undo the damage on appeal. You might end up getting benefits because you don't incrimate yourself.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missedcall View Post
I missed my phone interview with Unemplyment! I called the number and left two messages. I'm worried I will be denied benefits because of this. Please help I'm not sure what to do I have never dealt with unemployment before.
You won't be denied, but your claim also will not be approved if your state requires this interview - which means no benefits until the interview is done and the process is complete. If you've left messages, someone might be contacting you at some point. What state are you in? People in CA get calls on weekends all the time.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 126,135 times
I live in the state of CA.

I hate to revive an old thread, but something similar happened to me today as well.

I was on my mac laptop, which is set up to receive phone calls through my iPhone. When I got the call, I had closed my mac laptop, which also sends incoming calls straight to voicemail (something I didn't realize until today's incident).

Long story short, I miss the interview and was not able to get a hold of anyone at CA EDD before 12PM (CA unemployment office now closes at 12PM because of lack of staffing due to budget cuts).

The phone message that the unemployment office representative left was very rude. She basically scolded me for missing the call, said that they had already attempted to call my employer, and that they would be moving forward with the information they have thus far. No callback number was left, and the number I tried through caller ID was not capable of receiving incoming calls (I got a prompt saying "This number is not staffed").

I am pretty shocked and worried right now

I did not resign or quit my job. I was discharged and have paper work from health insurance that says "Termination - Involuntary". Though I don't know what my employer is telling EDD.

Any ideas of what could happen next?

Old 06-15-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdv1234 View Post
they had already attempted to call my employer, and that they would be moving forward with the information they have thus far.

Any ideas of what could happen next?

Since you didn't say anything bad about yourself, that only leaves what you wrote when you applied for UI.

If "attempted" means that they were unsuccessful at reaching your employer, you'll get benefits by default because no one said anything bad, or you'll be denied if you said anything bad when you applied, or you'll be denied if your employer said anything bad.

However, you'll appeal, and be in a great position so long as you didn't write anything bad about yourself.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:42 PM

That is what I figured thus far.

Honestly, I don't know what my former employer will say. Judging from all the horror stories on this site alone, i am assuming the worst.

I really hope they were unsuccessful at reaching my employer. But if they were as hard to reach for me, than likely my employer won't make much of an effort to reach out.

I am quite sure I didn't say anything bad when I applied. I made it clear on my online application for UI that I was discharged though no fault of my own.

I am really worried about the appeal process, if we get that far. The burden will be 100% on me. While I do have paperwork from my insurance company saying precisely that I was "Terminated - Involuntary", I hear (from this site, especially) that it could take months to schedule an appeal, and that the judges are typically biased against the claimant at that point. I also wonder if missing the call would reflect poorly on me.

I feel like I am marinating in stress. I will try EDD again tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
I hear (from this site, especially) that it could take months to schedule an appeal, and that the judges are typically biased against the claimant at that point. I also wonder if missing the call would reflect poorly on me.
Neither is true in California. If you are denied, you will have an appeal hearing about five weeks after you request it, with a decision a week after. Further, CA ALJs are biased TOWARD the claimant. You have a very good chance of winning an appeal.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 PM

Ariadne -

I hope you are right.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The burden will be 100% on me.
Where are you getting your information. The burden is on you when you quit. When you are fired, you don't have to prove anything until your employer proves something that amounts to misconduct. Up until that point, you just sit back and enjoy the show.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 40,169 times
what happened?

im kinda in the same boat. missed my call due to it coming from an unknown number and they disqualified me so i had to re-appeal. i explained that to the hearing officer and that i didn't call that day because because i thought my hearing date was a couple days later and that's why they disqualified me again. so stressful!

Last edited by that1man; 07-29-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment