Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 33,642 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, unfortunately I found this site a bit later than I would have liked. Better later than never, I guess. Maybe someone can shade a light on my case.

I called the number on IDES (in IL), and a lady helped me fill out the form. When the question came of why did I ended my relationship with my employer, I said that I quit but I was given the instructions that I would essentially be terminated, pending a conversation with Legal. We finished filling out the form and the lady immediately scheduled an interview.

I received a letter titled "Notice of Interview". The letter states that "a question has been raised regarding your eligibility for uneployment insurance benefits.This interview is requested because you indicated on your application that you voluntarily left your employment. To resolve this question, an interview will be necessary for your to supply information regarding 601a (...) Failure to participate in the scheduled interview at the date and time listed above will result in a denial of benefits. "

My initial questions is regarding the type of questions during this interview, and what my strategy should be to maximize potential of receiving benefits.

Facts during the final incident that led to your separation:

I met with my manager and HR to discuss the status of the PIP. After 4 months of the PIP, my manager stated that my performance was not up to standard. HR stated that since I was unable to provide favorable performance during consecutive months, I will be terminated; however, there was a small chance that they would offer demotion or relocation to another department but that essentially those options were slim to no chance.

That night, in order to avoid, further damage to my reputation with colleagues and future opportunities (and more importantly lack of knowledge for UI Benefits), I offered my resignation and emailed HR. I offered two weeks to tie loose ends and ended my employment after that.

Context

• Started working as a third-party consultant full time on March 2016. After a year of working there, a colleague referred me to the company for a full-time position and I was interviewed/hired in January 2017.
• Started working for my employer on February 2016.
• The hiring manager resigned two weeks after I started. The hiring manager’s manager was on leave when I started working at that department and move on to another department when the person returned. Many of the department’s staff either left or moved to another role outside of said department. The story behind this is that the Executive Manager is impossible to work with and everyone but two people has either resigned or move on to better things.
• Due to the lack of staff, I was given not only too much work, having 12 hour days as a normal for several months, but also and more importantly, the responsibilities and tasks that I originally was hired for changed substantially once the hiring manager resigned. A new manager was assigned to me and the few people left a month or so after. I immediately talked to the manager stating that I needed help in performing the duties. I also mentioned that I originally was not hired for the work I was performing.
• Due to lack of resources, the manager requested that I continue with the duties assigned to me and that in the future we would discuss changes. I was initially fine with this because this was a role that I had not much experience with and could potentially benefit from performing these tasks. However, as previously mentioned, the amount of work was too much for one competent person to handle (not to say a new one) and I was spread too thin. As a result, I missed deadlines and the quality of work was not as expected. Although I had a direct manager, my reports went directly to the Executive Manager. After a month of being there, the EM requested my manager to place me on a 90 day PIP.
• Sidenote for Executive Manager: (EM)
As noted, the EM has a very strong personality and is very difficult to work with. Most of the direct reports either quit or moved on before and after I was there. For instance, there were 3 executive assistants in the short time that I worked there. Two direct reports left (one without a job) while I was there – not including my manager. Another one, before I came in, took a demotion in another department rather than work for the EM. The EM typically shouted at its direct reports and belittled them in front of manager subordinates, clients, and third party consultants. The EM really didn’t care who heard. I never allowed that to happen to me and was very stern in the way I wanted to be treated. The EM sensed that and took an immediate dislike to me. We never had a one on one (typically you would get several with the EM).
• The managerial change and subsequent changes in the department by other coworkers moving or quitting led to us being severely understaffed. I requested several times for support in the responsibilities given to me. Despite my constant requests, I was not given support, more than feedback from my manager, when I needed to delegate or share some responsibilities with others.
• The PIP started on August of 2017, with biweekly meetings with my manager, and monthly meetings with my manager and HR. During all these meetings we went over what went well and what needed improvement. I requested additional support and segregation of duties at all meetings. I wrote that in the PIP documents generated at each meeting.
• During the second meeting with my manager (second month), I requested to return to my previous department or be transferred to another department where I could perform the duties I was told I was going to do. I also said that I would resign if I was not transferred or received additional support. My manager sent me via email that after discussing with higher mgmt, the transfer was not approved and that they would accept my resignation.
• I tabled my resignation plan and kept on working on the PIP for another month which the manager agreed the work improved. However, the month after the manager deemed that the performance was not up to par and that the PIP finally ended unsuccessfully. When I asked what comes next to HR, they responded that they needed to discuss with Legal but the options were highly likely with termination of my employment. There was a small chance of relocating to another department, or demotion. HR made it very clear that the number of people offered relocating or demotion were very very few. And made several comments about termination of my employment.

Last edited by SpringFieldILGal; 02-15-2018 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Just say that it was "quit or be fired," and pray. You should have just said "fired."

Do NOT tell that story about your "reputation" or that they let you work two weeks.

In "quit or be fired," it needs to be that had you not quit, you'd have been walked out the door immediately.

I wish you luck. You really messed up.

There's a chance that your employer will admit to the "quit or be fired," and that will make your life easier, but I suspect you wrote an incorrect letter of resignation, and if the employer submits it and shuts up like we tell claimants to do, chances are you'll fail at getting UI.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 PM

Thanks. I understand I messed up, If i knew about benefits I would’ve approached it differently. Do you have any information regarding the questions in the 601a interview? I will say I “quit in lieu of termination” in regards to the reason for the termination. but what about the rest. Are they only interested in he final incident or would they require context.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 AM

In a firing, which is technically what a "quit or be fired" is, that is all you say, is that you were fired, and shut up as in don't answer any more questions than FIRED.

If your employer takes the bait, it then becomes their job to prove that you were fired for a bad act that amounts to misconduct connected with the work.

If you start explaining yourself, you are just going to make it worse.

From everything you typed before, this wasn't a true "quit or be fired." You could have gone back to work. It might have taken then 10 minutes to 10 days or more to fire you, but it wasn't by any stretch a "you either quit right now, or we're walking you out." Therefore, you need to hope your employer makes a mistake.

Second, there is enough in that story that just maybe if your employer knows what they are doing, they could make a case for misconduct.

However, all the above will be meaningless if your employer submits your most likely improperly written letter of resignation and then says nothing more. You will never be able to overcome something written by your hand that conflicts with "quit or be fired."

Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll update after the interview and the initial decision.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:22 AM

Hello, I wanted to follow up on the case listed above.

Summary - I was approved for benefits without an appeal. I received the approval letter and already have funds submitted to the bank account.

Interview:
The interviewer started off by presenting herself and asking questions to confirm my identity. She then made a statement that implied that I still worked at my former employer. I kind of cut her off and stated that I was no longer working at that location and that I was fired. She then asked what was the reason of the termination which I responded to with a brief explanation of what happened at the last interaction. I gave her a succinct context of the situation, and then said that I gave my resignation but that it was "quit or be fired" situation. She then said that she will ask SOP questions, such as - did I ever cause the company financial loss? Have I turned down work offers during the past x amount of time? Did I break any company policy? Was I ever written up?

For that last question, I asked if being under a PIP was considered a write-up. She responded yes, and we went over the situation again. I explained with more detail dating back to when my manager resigned and the under staffing situation, and that at each PIP meeting a different reason was given for under-performance. I said that I requested more resources to address the performance issues being raised during all meetings. She asked to explain in detail the last reason given for underperformance, for which I gave her very broad and detailed explanation in which she asked about technical questions of my work. She then asked me that she would revise the application to read as a "discharge" since there was not much I could have done. She finished by saying she would reach out to the company for their take on the situation and that she could call back for any clarification if needed, and that it could be either 30 minutes or 3 business days later or not at all. She said that I would receive a letter with the response in 7 days. I thank her for her time and hung up. The call lasted about 20 minutes. The interviewer called 10 minutes after the scheduled time. Be aware that the interviewer can call plus/minus 15 min of the scheduled time. The interviewer was courteous and I never felt disrespected during our conversation. Overall, I felt that the call went well but that I gave more details than I should have had.

During the next few days, I checked the bank account to check for any changes but the balance was zero at all times. I received the letter about 10 calendar days later with the approval response. I checked the bank account later that day and had funds in the account.

Thanks for your help, and I hope this can be of use to others in a similar situation.

Last edited by SpringFieldILGal; 03-06-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 AM

I have to hand it you. You pulled it off. I really thought your employer would submit your letter of resignation, and it wouldn't end well for you. You did a great for yourself.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
Please help got a letter about 601a because I’m on a approved COVID-19 leave that is unpaid how can I prepare for my interview and any chance I can win COVID-19 leave was because my kids school was closed now I can’t go back because I was laid off because they dissolved my position

Old 07-15-2021, 11:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarties View Post
Please help got a letter about 601a because I’m on a approved COVID-19 leave that is unpaid how can I prepare for my interview and any chance I can win COVID-19 leave was because my kids school was closed now I can’t go back because I was laid off because they dissolved my position
Just show your proof/documentation of an approved event that is allowed for COVID reasons.

As for the layoff, just show the documentation from your employer that you were let go due to your position being eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment