Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 43,776 times

Advertisements

Yes, that all makes sense Chyvan. So if he does not reach either party, the default 'should' be in my favor? I guess come next week shall tell. I just have to be patient, which is hard given my financial situation but hopefully it won't drag too far.

Thank you very much for the info and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 03:39 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...nt-denial.html

This is a perfect thread to illustrate. The woman talked to the UI people. She had to appeal, not because of the employer, but because of what she did all by herself. The employer didn't come to the hearing to prove anything.

There is no benefit in a firing to talk to the UI workers.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,505 times
Can I still get unemployment benefits if I was let go after 3 months from a job due to my background check

Old 09-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Maybe.

Apply.
Say, "fired," and shut up.
See what happens.
If denied, appeal and take another shot at it.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Well, after checking each day for an update, EDD online just updated to 'Disqualification' status for the first 2 certification weeks. I was wondering why it says that and not denied. Is it possible for overpayment? I looked up dates from my last claim and see that the week I started training at new job was the same week my claim ended. I need to see if I can find any old debit card records and double check.

This is just a mess. I've worked for over 25 years, this is the 2nd time I've filed for unemployment. I am wondering what would have happened if I took the call now, but then agian, if it is to do overpayment I screwed up majorly. I guess I will try to call them tomorrow and see what is going on.

Last edited by artzgirl18; 09-06-2018 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 08:53 PM

Also, who can I contact to edit some of the extra details in this post? I am worried that I put too much personal information that my former job or who knows may come across. Is it possible to request to edit some of this to be more anonymous?

Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artzgirl18 View Post
Well, after checking each day for an update, EDD online just updated to 'Disqualification' status for the first 2 certification weeks. I was wondering why it says that and not denied.
How many weeks of certifications have you filed? If it's just two, then it probably means that you were denied. Being denied means that those weeks will be "disqualified." There's nothing strange about the choice of word.

Now, if you've filed MORE certifications than just two, and the others are still pending, that could mean that you had excess earnings or job search issues that resulted only in the first two weeks not resulting in a payment.

Quote:
Is it possible for overpayment?
I don't see how. In your first post, you said when you applied you selected "fired." Therefore, you should have received no money until a decision was made in your favor. With no money in your pocket, there's no reason to have an overpayment.

Quote:
I will try to call them tomorrow and see what is going on.
Unless there is more to the story, there is no point. I told you that you had a potentially ugly sounding story. Just wait on your denial letter. Depending on what you say about how many weeks you've currently certified for, I might tell you to just submit your appeal REQUEST now. It's always the same if the disqualification is for a separation issue: "the determination dated mm/dd/yy is wrong. I want an appeal hearing scheduled."

You'll have plenty of time to plan your strategy when the letters show up, but at least you'll be ahead in time to get a hearing date.

Quote:
Also, who can I contact to edit some of the extra details in this post? I am worried that I put too much personal information that my former job or who knows may come across. Is it possible to request to edit some of this to be more anonymous?
There's a red triangle with an "!" in it. Report your post, and tell a mod what you want to change, and then cross your fingers.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:48 PM

Thank you Chyvan. I certified for 2 weeks and this Sunday I will be able to certify for another 2 weeks.

Before this job, I was on unemployment and now looking at the history of that last claim in my account I can see the week my unemployment claim ran out is the same week I started training. So I got one last week of $ that I should not have certified for last year. So whether my recent employer is fighting this new claim, I realize I still have an overpayment from that previous claim. It was less than 1 & half year ago, the very last week left. Now that's another issue to deal with. So I guess I have to wait and see what the letter says. If it says denied and I appeal, I still need to point out I got an overypayment since I'm sure that will show up if it hasn't yet. *sigh* Didn't expect or think I will need unemployment, yet here I am twice in a couple of years.

Last edited by artzgirl18; 09-06-2018 at 11:06 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I still need to point out I got an overypayment since I'm sure that will show up if it hasn't yet.
The time to have come clean was a year and a half ago. By now, just be quiet about it. It's too late. If you get caught, deal with it when it happens.

Your screen really shouldn't be saying "disqualified" because of an overpayment. For that to happen, you'd have received letters a long time ago. Did you move? That might explain that EDD knows about it, and why you don't exactly know the status of your claim.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Your screen really shouldn't be saying "disqualified" because of an overpayment. For that to happen, you'd have received letters a long time ago. Did you move? That might explain that EDD knows about it, and why you don't exactly know the status of your claim.
I moved a year ago, but have not moved since filing this new claim in the last month. So you recommend not calling and waiting for the letter? It will be interesting to see what it says when I certify Sunday also.

On the subject of moving though, it is looking likely that we may move to a different state in a couple of months because of financial reasons (CA is just too dang expensive). I have applied at a couple of temp agencies and let them know I may be moving so that they place me with temp assignments vs. temp to hire. If I end up on unemployment after an appeal, would I be able to still collect out of state? If I take a temp job and have to quit due to relocating will I still collect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment