Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 07:23 PM

17 posts, read 7,821 times

Advertisements

I just started collecting my unemployment benefits before I was approved I was actively looking for work I finally passed the background for a manufacturing staffing company they send me to an interview I was offered the position at the end of the interview they did mention that it’s only for one or two months the positionMy question is will Lose my benefits if I Denies this employment opportunity.
And also I did mention to the recruiter I was collecting unemployment benefits will unemployment department reach out to this staffing agency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,126,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugfree20 View Post
My question is will Lose my benefits if I Denies this employment opportunity.
You might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugfree20 View Post
will unemployment department reach out to this staffing agency?
No, because EDD doesn't know you went there, but the reverse can happen, that the staffing agency does something that clues EDD in.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 7,821 times
Thank you for the advice also at the interview they mentioned that the position pays 1350 which is not what the staffing agency told me they said it was $17 an hour those wages are not suitable for my expenses

Old 05-04-2019, 02:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,126,861 times
Suitability has NOTHING to do with your expenses, and if you say this to a UI worker, you will be causing yourself no end of grief.

When it comes to wages, you are entitled to a wage that is not substantially less than "prevailing" or is in line with your prior wages for the same type of work. Your expenses mean nothing.

You can be a dental hygienist that was making $60/hr with 20 years of experience, and be offered $45/hr by a dentist that would have accepted a recently licensed graduate. That would probably be unsuitable. If the hygienist went around applying for dental assistant jobs and was offered $10/hr when the going rate is $12/hr, that could be substantially less than prevailing for that type of work, but $11/hr might not be. If the hygienist, gets offered $12/hr for a dental assisting job that she applied for knowing dang well what she is getting into but did it to meet the work search requirements, she doesn't get to later scream that the work is unsuitable or pays too little. She got offered a job for exactly what she was looking for.

As time ticks by, your wage demands have to slip.

I hope that when you were told "1350," that you spoke up and said, "I was told the job paid $17/hr. That's why I came for the interview." If you do that, chances are, they will not offer you work, and you won't have to deal with a refusal issue.

When you're looking for work with a UI check on the line, you need to exercise care in how you do things so that you can prevent the majority of lowball offers. You determine the rate of pay BEFORE you apply. At the first hints of something that sounds wrong, speak up. You might never get a chance to work there in the future, but if you're dealing with a bait-and-switch, then you don't want anything to do with them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment