Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 2,420 times

Advertisements

Would I be eligible for a second-year claim in California?

I was separated from employer 1 and was denied unemployment benefits but given the option to purge the decision if I found bona fide work, made x amount, and discharged through no fault of my own. I found bona fide work and was discharged through no fault of my own from employer 2 after making x amount. I was successfully able to purge my previous unemployment denial and have now exhausted all benefits. Would I be eligible for a second-year claim in California? Does employer 2 also qualify as a connection to the workforce for me to use my lag wages from employer 1? Is it irrelevant that I used employer 2 to purge my previous unemployment decision?

Thank you,

Water lilies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 04:18 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water lilies View Post
Would I be eligible for a second-year claim in California?
https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Miscell...m#TheLagPeriod

Did you meet these criteria with your earnings and timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water lilies View Post
Does employer 2 also qualify as a connection to the workforce for me to use my lag wages from employer 1?
Yes.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:28 PM

Yes, I have met the earnings and timing criteria. Thank you, for your quick response my thread.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Is there a work search requirement for the unpaid period between my first and second-year unemployment claim? Where on eddcagov can I find specific information about second-year unemployment claims?
Thank you,

Old 06-08-2019, 06:59 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
You are only required to look for work during the weeks where you submit a claim form that you want to be paid. However, if an application from the past that you submitted, results in an offer, and you refuse it, that could surface and be a problem. If practical, become a ghost if being on UI is your goal. You don't want any employer being able to leave you a message. Switch phones with one of your kids. That only leaves an employer mailing you a letter or making an offer via EDD. That never happens in practice, but it could. If it just happens that you're lease is up and you move, don't tell EDD your new address until you apply for your new UI claim.

If you've exhausted benefits, and just wanted to bide your time, then stop looking for work.

For the 2nd-year claim, apply three days BEFORE the expiration date of this current claim. Look for work THAT week. That week will be your waiting week for your 2nd-year claim even though it's served in the expiring claim's validity period. You have to look for work, or you won't get waiting week credit, and just defeat the gift that CA provides to 2nd-year claimants. Starting with the first week in your new claim, keep looking for work for each week you wish to be paid.

There's really nothing that spells it out on the CA site.

This is from practical experience, and confined by posters that have done it, and report it to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment