Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 899 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles and have been working part time at a food service job for the past year to pay down debts. It has been the most miserable experience of my working life - lot of racially charged issues plus a lot of drug-related issues from customer base.

I finally decided to put in my two weeks after a particularly bad exchange that led to someone being arrested for assaulting my co-worker.

Then I came home hours later and received a phone call from my full-time job saying that the company is shutting down and I was being laid off.

My last day at the terrible PT job is toward the end of this month so I was going to file for UI benefits the day after.

I cannot stay at the part time job. For my mental health, I have to move on. But does this mean I can be denied benefits because I quit after being laid off?

Last edited by bodet; 12-07-2019 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: reworded question for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 12:28 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,228,582 times
Yes.

You need to stop going to the part-time job BEFORE the very last day at your full-time job. I hope it's not too late for you.

You do NOT want that part-time job to be your LAST job or MOST RECENT EMPLOYER.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Volunta...MostRecentWork

Old 02-18-2021, 03:46 AM

8 posts, read 2,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Yes.

You need to stop going to the part-time job BEFORE the very last day at your full-time job. I hope it's not too late for you.

You do NOT want that part-time job to be your LAST job or MOST RECENT EMPLOYER.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Volunta...MostRecentWork
Hi Chyvan you seem very knowledgeable, can you help me with my situation please,

I was let go from my full-time job at no fault of my own because they were relocating and didn’t need me. I was thrown into financial hardships and immediately got a side job(10-12 hrs a week) to just give me fast money. 3 weeks into this job i realized it was not enough to substitute my full-time job.

This part time would not resolve the financial hardships i encountered from being let-go from my full-time job. With not making enough money, my disabled 78 year old father was forced to return to street vending. I left the part time to help my father street vend where my time was better spent. I still continued to look for a full-time job. 3 months in, coronavirus hits and it became even harder to find. This is when i filed for unemployment benefits.

I was denied on the basis that i voluntarily left my part-time job which i had for only 3 weeks. After being let go from my full time job.

Do i have a good enough argument for quitting my part-time job? Because i lost my full time job and i needed to care for my disabled father working as a street vendor?

Old 02-18-2021, 02:21 PM

13,176 posts, read 21,238,649 times
When you accept a job, full or part time, you own that decision. As such, your last job was the part time job and if you quit for personal reasons, that's disqualifying. Now, had you been promised one wage plus a minimum number of hours, but they were not giving you the promised wages or hours, you would have qualified. If they were paying you what they said and you were getting the hours the said you would get, you knew full well what the pay would be so how can it be acceptable when you accepted the job but turn unacceptable afterwards.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:33 AM

Getting that PT was the worse decision of my life but I was willing to work anything, after losing my FT job. Why am i being punished for having too much ambition and walking to work any chance i get?

Ye i quit for Personal reasons but beyond my control, wouldnt that constitute as Good Cause? Its beyond my will.
And i was promised more hours but i couldnt wait for empty promises anymore. I had to leave the PT to help my father with a health condition as he street vend while i looked for a suitable job that could provide for both of us? A suitable job that offered more work.

Can i say i quit because i lost my full time job and the PT would not be enough work to provide a living for me and my father? So i quit to assist my father as he street vended, pushing, setting up, carrying things. The PT job would only interfere with my fathers hours and was not worth it. I cant let my dad kill himself every day on the street by himself....

Yes i knew it was a PT but i was willing to work anyways, it was my mistake... am i fuked?

Old 02-20-2021, 10:57 PM

When you got laid off from your full time job, that was 100% fully and automatically qualifying for unemployment benefits. When you took the part time job, that now became your last employer and if you quit for personal reasons, that's disqualifying. You should have gotten help before you made any move as your ignorance of unemployment could cost you all your benefits!

Now, answer these:

A. When you were hired for that part time job, were you being paid the hours and wages they promised you at time they hired you? I don't care what happened or what you want, it's about when you were hired and if that is what you were earning.

B. When you were working that part time job, did you apply for any full time job but was unable to attend an interview due to not being able to take time off from that part time job?

C. Have you been offered any government sponsored/supported skills training that you were unable to participate in due to scheduling conflicts with that part time job?

As an FYI, if you tell unemployment you are helping your parent with his work, that would be considered returning to work and they may disqualify you on top of the current disqualification.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:39 PM

I was very ignorant and i am paying the price. I wish I knew more about what I was entitled to after being laid off.

1. It was a sketchy part-time job, I don't remember talking much about the hours tbh... There wasn't even an office or anything, we had to go to "work-space" sharing places like wework.

b. I never tried taking time off

c. no

I think I've resigned to accepting that I prob wont win this case. I also have to pay back 600$ that I do not have, hopefully I can waiver this. This sucks so much, **** the government... I really hate them for this, I pay taxes with my jobs and when I really need them, they aren't there and will do anything to forsake me, its disgusting.

But thank you for your help in everything, I appreciate your feedback and expertise.

Can I say I help my dad, I don't help him make sales or anything, I just assist in the heavy lifting, etc? My time is better spent helping my dad than working part-time for a job that doesn't relieve me of my financial hardships.

discouraged but life goes on... Fk the gov.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 AM

It's not the government's fault, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!!!!! You made the mistakes.

Let me ask you this, when you started looking for your very first job in life, did you ever think you would be fired, laid off, or have to quit? When you first started working or at anytime during your working life, were you or did you become aware that a thing called unempyment insurance existed? If yes to theses, what research did you do to understand how it operates and the qualifications?

Hope isn't lost but you have to accept your failure so you can avoid any more mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment