Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:54 AM

8 posts, read 3,215 times

Advertisements

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with. I was terminated from my job about 1.5 months ago for a “timecard error”. It was completely unintentional and I never admitted to it. I was a cable guy. The thing with my job was that we were responsible for clocking in and out throughout the day: once, at the beginning of the day, then we clocked out before lunch, then back in after, and finally, at the end of the day we punched out a final time. One day, after clocking out after lunch, I clocked back in after the hour, but didn’t leave my “lunch spot” until 50 minutes afterwards. Our Vans are monitored by GPS. This was a common thing, to wait for some time after lunch to get organized and calculate our next job’s timeframe, distance away, contact the customer, etc. The difference being that it wasn’t usually a 50 minute wait. On this particular day, I honestly don’t know what took so long for me to leave my lunch spot and head to my next job. My boss asked me about it a couple weeks after and I told him I’m not sure what took so long. He said that I have to come up with a valid excuse, he said “15-25 minutes is ok, but 50 minutes is not”. I have this conversation recorded. I was never able to come up with anything and the most discriminating thing I said to him was “maybe it was a day that I took a nap during my lunch, forgot to punch back in afterwards, and manually punched in later – only taking one hour by mistake.” This was never confirmed, and I was not able to give him any valid reason, so I was terminated shortly thereafter. I never showed up for my termination meeting with HR which was supposed to be brought upon me by surprise before a regular work day. Before that day, I noticed that there weren’t any jobs on my route, so I called my boss to ask why. He said we need to talk with HR about the timecard discrepancy, I asked him if I’m getting fired, he said he can’t discuss it over the phone, and then I told him that I wouldn’t make it in that day because I’m ill and if they want to fire me, they can do so when I’m feeling better. I never admitted to any wrongdoing, and never signed any paperwork. I was terminated over the phone. When I filed for unemployment I chose “laid off”. I was denied under the “misconduct” rule and didn’t take the original phone call interview¹. I just received my determination letter stating that I’m ineligible because of misconduct. I wrote a letter stating “The determination dated 1/17/20 is wrong. I want an appeal hearing scheduled.” I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Please give me any advise you can and please ask me anything that I may have left out. Thank you so much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 08:01 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
This looks like the same as this https://www.city-data.com/forum/unem...nt-advice.html

There's nothing new in there.

We need the denial reason with all the words not just "misconduct."

Did you get your hearing notice yet?

Old 02-07-2020, 12:53 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry for the repeat post but I've not gotten any advice as of yet. Anyways, here is the letter I received after skipping the phone call, word-for-word:

The following determination has been made on connection with the claim for unemployment insurance benefits.

Based on all the determinations regarding your claim, you are not eligible for benefits until you meet the eligibility requirements.

Please read each determination carefully.

Issue 001 602A – Misconduct
Deny Effective 12/15/2019 – 12/31/9999
Was the claimant discharged for misconduct connected with the work? The evidence shows the claimant was discharged from XXX because of timecard falsification. There was a variance of time that could not be accounted for. Since the reason the claimant was discharged constituted a violation of a known and reasonable company rule, the claimant was discharged for misconduct connected with the work. The claimant is ineligible for benefits from 12/15/2019 and will be determined ineligible until he meets the eligibility requirements.

Today, I received a letter stating that I will be notified about when the appeal hearing is. So I'm just waiting for a date. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2020, 01:05 AM

Send a DM to Janja1. She has recent experience of the steps to follow to get your hearing file. You're going to need it to prepare. We need to know if the evidence is all hearsay or damning reports of your gps coordinates and times.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:00 AM

Thanks Chyvan, I will do that. There are GPS reports; that is how they found out about the 50 minutes after my lunch break. However, this wasn't unusual. We always had to "wait around" for our next job. I just should have gone to the actual job site to wait, but unfortunately I didn't on this day. Also, I have a recorded phone call with my boss who said that 15-20 minutes after lunch is ok - not sure if that's relevant.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 AM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8npg View Post
Thanks Chyvan, I will do that. There are GPS reports; that is how they found out about the 50 minutes after my lunch break. However, this wasn't unusual. We always had to "wait around" for our next job. I just should have gone to the actual job site to wait, but unfortunately I didn't on this day. Also, I have a recorded phone call with my boss who said that 15-20 minutes after lunch is ok - not sure if that's relevant.
Your only hope is that these reports are not included in the file and that nobody shows up from your employer - and that your own words haven’t damned you already.

It’s a loser of a case, it’s pretty clear misconduct, but crazier things have happened.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
and that your own words haven’t damned you already.
This we know to be true. He applied as a "laid off" person, and didn't take the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
but crazier things have happened.
Yeah, this one https://www.city-data.com/forum/unem...-decision.html

Old 02-07-2020, 12:55 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
This we know to be true. He applied as a "laid off" person, and didn't take the call.

Yeah, this one https://www.city-data.com/forum/unem...-decision.html
That’s going to be his only hope. Applying as laid off isn’t going to help, as he’s going to open up the questioning as to the separation.

He’s going to have to hope nobody shows up (like the guy from Texas) and stick with “fired/I don’t know” as his only words.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:27 PM

It was in reference to the fact that he didn't admit to anything, and won't be fighting his own words.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:32 PM

Thanks guys for your input. I guess my only "defense" will be I was fired and I'm not sure why. Does the fact that my boss told me that waiting around for as long as 25 minutes is ok matter at all? And I have a recording of him telling me that. He was basically condoning the "misconduct" as long as it was only 25 minutes. Why would 25 minutes be ok but 50 is considered misconduct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment