Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 03:59 PM

24 posts, read 14,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
... but yet these Democratic governors that are keeping states on lockdown and refusing to open up the economy in fear of a virus that kills less than 1% of those it infects thus preventing people from going back to work have your vote?

Makes perfect sense.
It's just an evil Democratic conspiracy, right?

Nothing to see here, what with this 102k dead (at a minimum).

I'd go through (once again) why people like you and this thought process are so wrong, but I've done that with other people in other threads and I'm frankly getting tired of it.

If you want me to, though, I guess just say so and I'll kick down the knowledge that you won't get from Fox and Friends, or Trump's censored Twitter feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 04:15 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,773,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
then everyone goes back to $400 a week or less.

and then people have to pay rent...
I didn't say I agree with it not being extended, just that it won't be extended (the $ 600.00).

In my state, max UE is $ 275.00/wk. That amount wouldn't even pay the median rent.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:16 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,773,692 times
So now they are "mulling over" return-to-work credits instead of the federal UE benefits. I guess they figure everyone can just pluck a new job from the job tree, as if every old position was going to reopen.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:06 PM

24 posts, read 14,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
So now they are "mulling over" return-to-work credits instead of the federal UE benefits. I guess they figure everyone can just pluck a new job from the job tree, as if every old position was going to reopen.
This is the biggest thing, right? It's crazy. SO many jobs are going to be coming back (if at all) at a snail's pace, but the plan seems to be that if we just put tax credits there and work credits, somehow we can make them appear out of thin air.

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 4,607 times
Well after writing to several state agencies and all of my federal and state representatives I received a call from my Federal Congressman's office. I furnished the additional info he requested and within hours, I'm serious, hours, I received a call from EDD. The woman I spoke to went online, while I was on the phone with her, and made all the weeks I am eligible for unemployment available for me to certify. She asked me to call her back (she actually gave me her direct phone number) when I was in front of my computer and let her know if I was able to certify those weeks so she could call the Congressman's office and let them know. When I got back home I went to the website, and there were the last 4 weeks available to certify, which I did. I called her right back and thanked her for her help and let her know I had completed the certifications.

The entire process on the phone with her took less than 2 minutes. I'm not sure what magical buttons she needed to press to move the weeks into the section where they were available to certify but it sounds like a computer issue to me. I always wonder why a state that has such an enormous wealth of computer expertise sitting in Silicone Valley has such problems with all their computer systems. Oh well.

Joe

Old 05-30-2020, 09:02 PM

11 posts, read 7,063 times
Some of the states have already triggered 13 weeks of EB
https://www.cbpp.org/research/econom...-are-available

Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM

957 posts, read 539,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJoeR View Post
Well after writing to several state agencies and all of my federal and state representatives I received a call from my Federal Congressman's office. I furnished the additional info he requested and within hours, I'm serious, hours, I received a call from EDD. The woman I spoke to went online, while I was on the phone with her, and made all the weeks I am eligible for unemployment available for me to certify. She asked me to call her back (she actually gave me her direct phone number) when I was in front of my computer and let her know if I was able to certify those weeks so she could call the Congressman's office and let them know. When I got back home I went to the website, and there were the last 4 weeks available to certify, which I did. I called her right back and thanked her for her help and let her know I had completed the certifications.

The entire process on the phone with her took less than 2 minutes. I'm not sure what magical buttons she needed to press to move the weeks into the section where they were available to certify but it sounds like a computer issue to me. I always wonder why a state that has such an enormous wealth of computer expertise sitting in Silicone Valley has such problems with all their computer systems. Oh well.

Joe
Im glad you were able to get it sorted

Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,216,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJoeR View Post

Joe
That's great! Glad she fixed it.

And good question about Silicone Valley. You would think CA EDD would be far ahead of the tech game but they are in last place.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 4,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
That's great! Glad she fixed it.

And good question about Silicone Valley. You would think CA EDD would be far ahead of the tech game but they are in last place.

Exactly. I really don't understand that about this state. Well, there's a lot I don't understand but that is probably one of the most frustrating. I just seems that no state agency can get their act together when it comes to automation, computerization or technology. I guess this is what happens when you spend your money on making sure snail darters have a nice place to live instead of dealing with the problems of actual citizens of your state.

Old 08-06-2020, 04:42 AM

185 posts, read 90,008 times
Yeah, and I'm not giving EDD a pass because they've had issues long before COVID...but EDD nor their systems were ever designed to handle millions of people filing for UI at the same time. System failures, glitches and mistakes were almost inevitable. Maybe now though they'll have a much more reliable system put in place for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment