Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 01:50 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times

Advertisements

California, as with most States, has no statues of limitation on State benefit fraud. Historically, they usually will initiate some action within 15 years after the occurrence, but many have been able to argue away all fines, penalties (except for the actual over-payment) if they show the state knew or should have known of the error and took no action after 7 years. State courts have been good in wiping out anything but he over-payment if the state takes too long to act. However, if there was a blatant false statement on the certification by the claimant, that usually results in no leniency.

If you look back, you'll see people who reported filing for unemployment during this pandemic and discovered a 10 years old over-payment sitting on the books. I had one person I tried to help that had a 14 year old over-payment from routine audit years afterwards. The best we got was repaying the few dollars and the interest and penalty was wiped out. He didn't even know there was an over-payment (moved a few times in that period) and the state couldn't show they told him about it. They caught it about 4 or 5 years after his claim during a routine audit and it just sat their waiting to pop up like that Vegas party picture from 15 years ago that I was told was destroyed cause all of us never wanted to be reminded how wild we could get when the party was set aflame! Anyway, they may act or they may not, you never know and you never know when, if ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 12:02 AM

36 posts, read 23,993 times
Yikes! So... I’m assuming this could be considered overpayment considering I didn’t fraudulently answer questions, correct? I did report to EDD that I refused work.

What I would be peeved about is if they come after me months or years later, when if they would’ve done a proper investigation at the time I could’ve made an argument against the suitability of the job opportunity I was offered. I also haven’t heard anything as to whether or not I can sign up for CTB. I reported starting classes as well.

Would the fact that I answered the certification questions honestly be taken into consideration at whatever hearing they may do in the future? I’ve obviously been spending the money on my expenses, but I would like to not be in the hole for thousands of dollars in the future.

Should I call them now and inform them of their error?

Old 07-22-2020, 02:02 PM

An Over-Payment is whenever you received any money that you were not entitled to receive. Fault is not a factor in the actual issuance of an Over-Payment notice.

Fault comes into play when it's being decided if it;s fraud or non-fraud. Non-fraud is when an innocent mistake was made by you or the state. In non-fraud cases, you generally end up only repaying the over-payment and not any interest or penalties. Every non-fraud notice should be appealed if it included any form of payment for interest, or has a penalty attached, includes a forfeiture or anything but just repaying the overage. In almost every case, everything but the actual overage was tossed out because no fraud was involved. When the state make the mistake without anything you had any control over, some have been able to get the state to back off on even the overage, but it takes a special tactical approach so it's usually not worth the effort for most.

In fraud over-payments, the amount of any fine penalty, forfeiture, interest and actions up to and including criminal charges will be based on the degree of the fraud. Generally if a fraud is questionable on intent, we try and help. But if a person knowingly and deliberately enrages in fraud for pure selfish reasons, we let them fry.

Until the State makes a move, generally there's not a lot you can do.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:36 PM

So, if this were to come around later as an overpayment, would I then at that time be allowed to present my argument against the suitability of the position I was offered on 6/19 and my argument as to why I should have been sent a form to fill out to apply for CTB?

I'm really happy to have found this forum. The knowledge you all have has certainly educated me and given me some peace of mind during this craziness. Thanks to Rabrrita, Milezsmilez, and everyone here who has posted responses thus far.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:08 PM

IF you get an over-payment, it will cite the reason for their action. You'll have the same right to appeal as with all determinations.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:29 AM

Got it. Thank you!

I’ll let you all know if there are any new developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment