Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 02:06 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times

Advertisements

Asking a question for a relative who is a flight attendant.

Relatives principal residence is NC, but their flight base is NYC. The airline is Delta who's HQ's is based in Atlanta, GA. They rent a crash pad with another person near NYC. They fly back and forth between NC/NYC all the time but often spend weeks (on and off) in NYC if they get international routes. They are furloughed at the end of this month and have only flown a fraction of the flights normally since Covid. Business is down 80% and they don't anticipate going back to work for months if at all.

They file state taxes in NC. Where should they be filing for unemployment? NC or NY or GA?

Does anyone know if they will be getting any $$ from the new relief bill? They are young and have no savings to speak of.

Any direction is appreciated.

Last edited by illtaketwoplease; 03-28-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,155,995 times
Start with filing in NY, based on their address there.

Then move to NC.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:28 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times
Tks.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Technically, based on the Localized - Non Localized provisions of unemployment regulation for airline personnel, your unemployment state would be the state where you are either assigned for your normal assignments. Example, if you live in St Louis but fly out of Mid-America (your home base), your unemployment state is IL no MO. If you have no home base airport and fly out (start work not commuting) of various locations, the state with the majority of starts and stops becomes your unemployment state. However, as screwed up as things are right now, pick the one that has the best benefits and cross your fingers.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Technically, based on the Localized - Non Localized provisions of unemployment regulation for airline personnel, your unemployment state would be the state where you are either assigned for your normal assignments. Example, if you live in St Louis but fly out of Mid-America (your home base), your unemployment state is IL no MO. If you have no home base airport and fly out (start work not commuting) of various locations, the state with the majority of starts and stops becomes your unemployment state. However, as screwed up as things are right now, pick the one that has the best benefits and cross your fingers.
Hello, I know this post of from March, but I am Also a flight attendant, based in San Francisco, CA (SFO), primary residence was/is FL, but my partner lives in Los Angeles. I started collecting unemployment in April, I just changed my primary residence with the airline (work) and the EDD to CA early this week. I will work in getting my DL from CA next week. How would this change of address affect my unemployment? I updated my address with the EDD using my profile portal. Will I need to check the box of change of address when I certify for benefits the following Sunday? Also, I have been reading about the “able and available” when you move, is that something I need to be conscious about when I certify for benefits next week. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you so much!

Old 07-23-2020, 11:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Once you start collecting unemployment, changing address has no impact of your benefits. You stay with the claiming state until the claim expires. So, if you already have claim with CA, an address changes mean nothing. Just report it on the claim form and life goes on. If it's with FL, you stay claiming with FL until the claim expires. The only rule when you're collecting and move to another state is that you are required to register with that state's job services.

As for Able and Available. This is a gotcha many states like to play. The idea is while you're collecting unemployment, you must be Able and Available to seek (look for work), evaluate (respond to opportunities), accept (self explanatory) and work (show up for work) at any suitable employment during your traditional prevailing hours of your industry for those task. That means if you're a traditional 9 to 5 office worker, moving during mid week for a coupe days means you were not able or available during those time, so no benefits can be paid. But if your partner did all the moving and you just hopped a plane on a Sunday, you're in the clear.

EDD doesn't go out of their way to catch A&A issues as there's more than enough claimants who do foolish things and get themselves caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment