Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,399 times

Advertisements

I am laid off because of the COVID-19 and I've been receiving CA EDD since this week. And the amount I'm receiving is $400/week. I was recently offered to work a part-time job from a different company. It's a consulting job, so the time and wages can vary depending on a task (similar to a freelance job).
I assume the income I will receive is between $0 and $350/week. However, the payment would be monthly based. So, I may receive a maximum of ~$1,400 monthly.

My questions are:
1) If I report the income of $350/week, can I still receive $50/week from EDD?
2) In the case of 1), can I still receive an additional $600 federal stimulus payment?
4) My income would be monthly based and it can vary between $50 and $1,400 / month. EDD is weekly based, how can I report my income?
3) If I receive $1,400 next month, does it still okay to receive EDD? If I convert this to weekly, it will be $350/week.

I need to discuss this with my manager, so please help me! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 03:32 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,766,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napper08 View Post
I am laid off because of the COVID-19 and I've been receiving CA EDD since this week. And the amount I'm receiving is $400/week. I was recently offered to work a part-time job from a different company. It's a consulting job, so the time and wages can vary depending on a task (similar to a freelance job).
I assume the income I will receive is between $0 and $350/week. However, the payment would be monthly based. So, I may receive a maximum of ~$1,400 monthly.

My questions are:
1) If I report the income of $350/week, can I still receive $50/week from EDD?
2) In the case of 1), can I still receive an additional $600 federal stimulus payment?
4) My income would be monthly based and it can vary between $50 and $1,400 / month. EDD is weekly based, how can I report my income?
3) If I receive $1,400 next month, does it still okay to receive EDD? If I convert this to weekly, it will be $350/week.

I need to discuss this with my manager, so please help me! Thank you!
#1.

For partial UI benefits, the individual is paid the amount equal to their weekly benefits amount minus the smaller of the following: (1) the amount of wages in excess of $25 payable to him or her for services rendered during that week; or (2) the amount of wages in excess of 25% of the amount of wages payable to him or her for services rendered during that week.

If you have $350 of weekly wages.

$350 - $25 = $325 (reduction of $25)
$350 - $100 = $250 (reduction of 25%)

Reduce your weekly benefit amount of $400 by the smaller of the wages left ($250) meaning you would be left with $150 a week in weekly benefits.

#2.

If you collect at least $1 of UI benefits youare still entitled to the $600 FPUC money each week. FPUC money runs through benefit week ending 7/25/20).

You will need to keep track of your daily hours and compute your hourly wages. Wages are reported in the week it was earned not when you get the paycheck.

You also need to take into consideration whether the hours you're reporting deem you a full time employee, regardless of the $$$ amount you're making. CA EDD uses this as a basis for determining if working full time.

"Employed for or working the amount of time considered customary or standard."

For the purposes of determining UI eligibility, full-time work in a week consists of the number of hours considered to be the standard or customary workweek for an occupation in a geographic or labor market area

Old 06-23-2020, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 1,399 times
@scraprsmith It's very clear. Thank you so much!

Old 06-23-2020, 05:16 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,766,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napper08 View Post
@scraprsmith It's very clear. Thank you so much!
Your welcome. Just to correct/clarify after I reviewed my post and too late to edit

Under #1

for the 25% reduction it would be $350 - $87.50 = $262.50

$400 - 262.50 = $137.50 rounded up to $138.00 a week.

Apologize for that. Interruptions and calculations don't mix well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment