Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 02:23 PM

34 posts, read 67,847 times

Advertisements

I am working full time. My HR told me two days ago that she received notice from NJ unemployment office, someone stole my Identity and filed NJ UI. I am so upset that during the pandemic I still work every day, yet someone stole my information and filed UI claim. I called UI office only got Voice mail, I also sent email. No response yet. How to reach live person? How to stop the thief from collecting money? Please help me. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 02:33 PM

13,144 posts, read 21,091,659 times
You first notify the State Attorney General's office as it's a crime again the State to commit unemployment fraud. They can get the ball rolling with unemployment!

Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You first notify the State Attorney General's office as it's a crime again the State to commit unemployment fraud. They can get the ball rolling with unemployment!

I called, only got answering machine.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:36 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,396,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weili22 View Post
I called, only got answering machine.
Send them an email.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 PM

31,994 posts, read 27,162,995 times
If NJ DOL reached out to your employer, then it is safe to assume they already know (or know now after information from said employer), your ID was stolen and claim is fraudulent.

Either Friday or Monday likely will be a holiday for NJ DOL (July 4th), so you may not be able to reach anyone until Tuesday.

You need to speak with fraud investigator or someone in that department who can tell you status of situation.

In meanwhile you should look at your credit reports and place fraud alerts because obviously someone knows your personal information.

https://nj1015.com/nj-has-new-tool-t...surance-audio/

https://www.app.com/story/money/busi...ey/5268670002/

Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If NJ DOL reached out to your employer, then it is safe to assume they already know (or know now after information from said employer), your ID was stolen and claim is fraudulent.

Either Friday or Monday likely will be a holiday for NJ DOL (July 4th), so you may not be able to reach anyone until Tuesday.

You need to speak with fraud investigator or someone in that department who can tell you status of situation.

In meanwhile you should look at your credit reports and place fraud alerts because obviously someone knows your personal information.

https://nj1015.com/nj-has-new-tool-t...surance-audio/

https://www.app.com/story/money/busi...ey/5268670002/

Thank you so much, my employer got the notice late, the notice was sent to wrong address, the thief applied on Jun 2. I hope my employer can stop it asap. If UI office cancel the claim, will IRS have UI record under my name?

Old 07-04-2020, 11:12 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,091,659 times
If your employer list you're not unemployed, still working and a victim of fraud, unemployment will halt further benefits as a mater of routine while they investigate. Of course, with the tremendous backlog due to the stupid way the feds rolled this backwards fraud inviting welfare fiasco out, it may take a few weeks for unemployment to act. Hopefully your employer can respond electronically. In the end, it won't be held against you, but you're in for one heck of a life hardship ride if they actually had your correct info (and decided to use it for many other things) as opposed to just enough to get a claim through.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:15 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,217,226 times
I hope you're able to find out who did this. In another thread, it turned out to be someone in the person's family, which is horrifying to think about.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:57 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,779,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I hope you're able to find out who did this. In another thread, it turned out to be someone in the person's family, which is horrifying to think about.
Wow, but that makes total sense. the one's closest have easiest access to all pertinent identify info.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:23 PM

31,994 posts, read 27,162,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Wow, but that makes total sense. the one's closest have easiest access to all pertinent identify info.
According to federal LE no small amount of this UI fraud is coming out of that huge Experian hack several years ago. That breech along with many others before and since has put tons of personal information on dark web where it is easily purchased.

Problem is states were caught with their pants down on so many levels rolling out benefits under CARES act along with huge volume of applications coming in at once.

OTOH there was considerable pressure being applied by media and others to get money out to people who "needed it" ASAP. As such what safeguards there were simply either were bypassed or didn't catch things in time.

When states began waving one week or whatever waiting period before sending out benefits that was all she wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment