Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:31 PM

153 posts, read 73,842 times

Advertisements

Latest report, re: Senate bill

Link: https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSW1N2BC01K

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 02:35 PM

957 posts, read 541,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polka Dot View Post
Latest report, re: Senate bill

Link: https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSW1N2BC01K

Thoughts?
he says "“basic protections” provided by federal unemployment insurance should be included but indicated they would not be as generous as those in pandemic-related legislation enacted earlier this year."

Which suggests that there will be something... but nothing like $600/week. I have a feeling it will be more like... the work search requirements will still be waived... and maybe a wee bit extra. However, for congress to pass it, it will have to have something for UI, I think

Old 06-30-2020, 02:44 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,781,932 times
It most likely means if states run out of unemployment money in their state funds they can borrow from the Feds. This happened a lot during the Great Recession.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,813,120 times
I watch Brian Kim a CPA from Chicago who has a YouTube channel. He read a short letter from a senator or congressman for get which on the air today. This government clown recommends the following if you are unemployed and can't make ends meet. Sell your car your jewelry your assets run up your credit cards and borrow from family. Hope he drowns on his vacation.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I watch Brian Kim a CPA from Chicago who has a YouTube channel. He read a short letter from a senator or congressman for get which on the air today. This government clown recommends the following if you are unemployed and can't make ends meet. Sell your car your jewelry your assets run up your credit cards and borrow from family. Hope he drowns on his vacation.
Yeah, that's seriously unhelpful.

EDITED: Okay, so I went and found the letter Kim was referencing. The verbiage in the letter seems to be taken out of context. Here it is if you want to read it: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/202...ley-Letter.pdf

Last edited by Polka Dot; 06-30-2020 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 03:28 PM

128 posts, read 113,261 times
...and say IF it passes, it will not go live until late August, right? If that happens and some of us are back to 'regular UI' status, what happens...will we get retro or what? Just thinking/speaking out loud....

Old 06-30-2020, 03:30 PM

290 posts, read 185,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
God works in mysterious ways. That's hope a bolt of lightning hits him at sea lol

Old 06-30-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
he says "“basic protections” provided by federal unemployment insurance should be included but indicated they would not be as generous as those in pandemic-related legislation enacted earlier this year."

Which suggests that there will be something... but nothing like $600/week. I have a feeling it will be more like... the work search requirements will still be waived... and maybe a wee bit extra. However, for congress to pass it, it will have to have something for UI, I think
Yeah, my guess has always been reducing the $600 to @ $300-$400 per week. Just a guess, though.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,813,120 times
Quote:

EDITED: Okay, so I went and found the letter Kim was referencing. The verbiage in the letter seems to be taken out of context. Here it is if you want to read it: https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/202...ley-Letter.pdf

Out of context my a$$. That's exactly what he said. I read the entire letter. Hopefully he's unemployed soon but no matter I am sure there is a job waiting.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:09 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,781,954 times
Quote:

I tend to agree, slightly taken out of context. For those who don't want to scroll thru the pages below is the paragraph referenced.

Effects on Consumption

When people become unemployed, they generally consume fewer goods
and services. To pay for food, housing, and other living expenses while
unemployed, people can draw on their savings, borrow money, sell assets
(such as cars or jewelry), or use funds received from other people or the
government. Many unemployed people have little or no savings and would
face high interest rates on loans. Some people could draw on retirement
savings: The CARES Act allows people affected by the pandemic to
withdraw from tax-preferred retirement savings accounts without incurring
a tax penalty.

The additional $600 per week in unemployment benefits under current law
allows people to continue to consume goods and services that they might
otherwise be unable to afford and to save for future contingencies. The
average amount that recipients spend on food, housing, and other goods and
services is, in CBO’s assessment, closer to what they spent when employed
than it would be without those additional benefits. CBO anticipates that if
the additional $600 per week was extended to the end of January 2021, that
pattern would continue—in part, because the extension would allow people
to make more payments on loans and therefore have greater access to credit
in the future than they would have otherwise.

Funding the additional unemployment benefits would, however, increase
the federal budget deficit. In CBO’s assessment, larger deficits tend to slow
the growth of the economy in the long term, thereby reducing overall
income and the consumption of goods and services in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment